Two weeks after moving in, I feel like I'm settling in and returning to normalcy at my new home.
Today I made a loaf of gluten free bread. I've been experimenting with different flour combinations and haven't found a recipe that gives a light airy texture yet. This loaf has millet, sorghum , tapioca and arrowroot flour. The bread didn't rise as I wanted, but so far this loaf has the best texture. So the experiment will continue... :)
 |
| bread rising |
I also made a new batch of vegetable juice. A glass of juice is a part of my breakfast and sometimes I take one to work.
 |
| A batch of freshly made vegetable juice |
Now that I have a yard, I decided to compost kitchen waste. I keep a bowl to collect scraps and empty it into a hole.
 |
| Food scraps for composting |
There's still a lot to do, including grouting a bedroom, the hallway and the living room, and painting baseboards. But I'm so glad that I have an almost functioning kitchen now. The aroma of freshly baked bread wafting through the home makes me so happy.
Fresh bread smell wafting through the house is lovely but it makes me so hungry! Lol, those seeds in your compost are likely to germinate unless you bury it deep enough.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't decide whether to leave butternut squash seeds to germinate, and carrot peelings for a broth. So I dumped everything into my scrap bowl. :)
DeleteHow good to have your kitchen almost functioning now. The aromas, especially bread really are wonderful. Your bread looks good. Making gluten free bread is a challenge. I have found that baking it on a low temperate and longer time can help with the rise.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad your enjoying your new home.
Kylie
Thanks Kylie. I baked this loaf at 400°F (about 204°C) for 40 minutes. What temperature do you use?
DeleteI also need to check whether the oven temperature is correct.
My oven is fan forced and the temp for my gf breads is between 160-170 degrees. I cover with foil if browning too quickly on top. I find this works with nut flours, coconut flour etc.
DeleteI will try 160 and see how it goes. Thanks Kylie.
DeleteIt sounds like you are settling in to your new home. You will get it all finished eventually I am sure. I hope Easter was a happy time for you.
ReplyDeleteThanks Chel. It's a busy weekend :). Hope you had a good Easter weekend too.
DeleteThat vegetable juice is very yummy looking, would you be able to share how you did it and with what? I am also curious as to what you mean by putting your scraps into a hole. Is that how you compost? I am too scared to make an open compost for fear or rats coming.
ReplyDeleteBridget, I use whatever organic fruits and vegetables I have in the fridge. This batch has a handful of kale, a carrot, half a beetroot, an apple, 5-6 dried plums. I normally use celery, but didn't have any this time.
DeleteThen I add chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, a splash of pomegranate juice, flaxseed oil and water.
I read about trench composting, where you make trenches and bury kitchen waste. Without digging trenches I decided to dig a hole where I want to plant a lemon tree. I put kitchen waste and slightly cover with dirt. And next day, more kitchen waste. One the small is full, I cover it completely and dig another one. These are not very deep, about 2 feet I think.
That's great that you're composting. I've read about the trench method. It's very interesting. I used to use it to dig in manure to enrich the soil. Now I just compost everything in a large pile at the back of my property. It's wonderful. It really reduces the amount of garbage that you have.
ReplyDelete