Lately I have been cooking chickpeas in the pressure cooker without buying canned ones. I soak chickpeas overnight so it takes less time.
Today, I made a chickpea curry and it turned out really well, with a delicious thick tomato gravy. Unless I follow a recipe I don't measure ingredient, so these are approximate amounts.
I cooked about three cups of chickpeas with water about an inch above chickpeas, and used the liquid to make the gravy.
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
-1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 3,4 curryleaf sprigs
- a small yellow onion chopped
- 5,6 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons of cumin powder
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chili powder
- salt to taste
- 14 oz can of diced tomato ( or fresh ones) - I pulsed it in the chopper.
- 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro (stems and leaves)
Heat coconut oil in a pan and add mustard and cumin seeds. When mustard seeds start popping, add curry leaves.
Then add chopped onions and garlic , turned down heat a bit so that garlic won't brown. Stir and cook until onions are translucent.
Add cumin powder, turmeric powder, granulated garlic, chili powder and salt. Cook about a minute stirring constantly so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
Add tomato and half of the chopped cilantro. I used mainly stems and kept chopped leaves for garnishing.
Cover and cook in low heat for about 5 minutes.
Then add cooked chickpeas and chickpea water. Mix well, taste for salt. Cook in medium heat for about 15 minutes and simmer in low heat for another 10 minutes or until the gravy is thick.
Garnish with chopped cilantro.

This would be so warming on a cold day and super tasty. Cumin and turmeric are my favourite.
ReplyDeleteI really should make this soon as chick peas are so good for you and they aren't all that expensive either. Thanks for the recipe.
ReplyDeletehow lovely, Nil, would you call this a typical Sri Lankan mix of spices? xx
ReplyDeleteNot really Sue. Sri Lankan curry mixes typically use cumin, fennel and coriander. And coconut milk for gravy. This one is closer to Indian style cooking, I think.
DeleteDo you have any favourite Sri Lankan dishes you could share with us please? I do love to experiment ;) xx
DeleteSu, unfortunately I can't cook Sri Lankan dishes like my mom does, so I have tweaked most recipes :) And I've run out of mom's homemade curry powder, so either I have to make some or wait until I go home so she can make some for me.
DeleteI will post a couple of recipes sometime next week. :)
can't wait xxx
DeleteI posted a recipe for Sri Lankan potato curry. Just made it for dinner today.
Delete