Sri Lankan roti is a type of flat bread made of wheat flour. Traditional roti recipe includes freshly grated coconut, chopped shallots, chopped green chilies, curry leaves and salt. My mom uses grated carrots as well.
Ingredients:
450g all purpose flour
200g freshly grated coconut
2 medium size carrots grated
small onion finely chopped (or about 10 chopped shallots)
2-3 finely chopped green chilies
2 sprigs of finely chopped curry leaves
salt
lukewarm water
about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
Sift all purpose flour and set aside.
In a big bowl, mix grated carrots, onions, green chilies and curry leaves.
Add grated coconut, flour and salt to the bowl and mix well.
Add a small amount of lukewarm water and mix everything. Keep adding water a little by little and knead until the mixture is soft and pliable. Adding too much water can make the mixture too sticky. If that happens, add a little bit of flour.
Divide the dough into small balls. Let it rest for about 10 minutes.
Lightly coat dough balls with oil and flatten using a rolling pin, or by hand. Make a circular form.
Heat an oiled griddle or a nonstick pan. Place the roti and cook one side until dough is cooked and light brown spots form. Then cook the other side. If there is enough space, you can cook more than one roti at once.
Serve with any type of curry, or with butter , jam or marmite.
Variations: Add chopped scallions or greens. If you don't have grated coconut, you can omit it, though coconut is always used in traditional Sri Lankan roti. I have heard that some use butter without grated coconut, but I haven't tried roti made with butter.
Thankyou for the recipe as I've been looking into making a type of flatbread. I wonder if shredded coconut would work.
ReplyDeleteKylie
Kylie, grated coconut should work, but if it is grated dried type roti will be too dry. If you only have desiccated coconut, add a little bit of coconut milk to make to moist.
DeleteNil, thanks for that recipe. I have pinned it for future reference. Sounds easy to make too.
ReplyDeleteChel, you can even keep the dough balls in the fridge for a couple of days. Let it come to room temperature, then make roti. :)
DeleteSounds delicious, Nil. I never knew you could add grated fruits and vegetables to bread dough.
ReplyDeleteAs long as veggies are finely chopped so they cook quickly it's fine in roti. :)
DeleteThese sound delicious and lately we've been eating curries more so it will add some variety instead of serving rice or pasta as an accompaniment. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI have just found your recipe and whilst I make my own bread I have never made Roti. You make it look quite easy and delicious. I can feel a curry and Roti coming on.Thanks for sharing your recipe Nil. If it is ok, when I make it I will add it to my blog for easy access with full credit to you of course. Pauline
ReplyDeleteYes, sure Pauline. I hope you will enjoy roti and curry. :)
Delete