I like old furniture, the ones made of real wood. But I can't afford antique ones, and the new furniture made of real wood are also expensive. My solution is to find used furniture at thrift stores or garage sales, and refinish if necessary.
Remember the dressing table I bought from a thrift store? It was $35. It's now painted and also has matching drawer knobs. The knobs are also from a thrift store, and they are $1/piece.
 |
| Before. |
 |
| After. |
The mirror was given to me by a friend a long time ago. It's the perfect size for the table.
I also painted the bedside table. It is also given to me by a friend. I forgot to take a photo before painting it, but it was dark brown. Now it is white to match my bed, mirror and dressing table.
 |
Newly painted bedside table.
|
Several weeks ago, a friend found a dresser for me. It was left at the curb, and had stickers all over it.
 |
| Free dresser - Before |
It took a while to remove stickers. After several coats of paint and new knobs from a thrift store this is how it looks now.
 |
| After |
My bedroom doesn't get a lot of sunlight because of the trees in the backyard, so I think white furniture brighten it up. I find redoing used furniture is very satisfying. It also saves money and reduce the waste. Each job didn't cost more than $50 total including paint and knobs. I am sure I can't buy wood furniture for that price, especially a design I like in a color that matches everything else.
XX
Nil
They're amazing especially the dresser. It looks like a completely different piece of furniture all together. I think that the previous owner would be so surprised to see what you have done.
ReplyDeleteI like crisp white too and I agree it would lighten up your bedroom.
Well done.
Kylie
Thank you Kylie. Yes, it's amazing what a new coat of paint can do.
DeleteThey look great Nil. I bet it's nice having "new" furniture. I love the shape of the little bedside table. The other nice part is it should hold up well. How wonderful!
ReplyDeleteThank you Lady Locust. It feels really good to have "new" furniture without spending a lot of money. :)
DeleteWow, what a good job you have done, Nil. I love it all. Such a good idea using knobs from the Op Shop as well.
ReplyDeleteThanks Chel. It took me a while, but I was able to find the same knobs that I used for the dressing table. One down side of buying things from thrift stores is it's hard to find the exact same thing again. :)
DeleteYou've done a great job and your hard work has paid off, they look beautiful. X
ReplyDeleteThank you Jules. :)
DeleteYou have done a fantastic job, and I think because you refurbished it yourself you will get more enjoyment from it. Good job.
ReplyDeleteYes Marlene. It's so satisfying.
DeleteThe pieces all look nice, sturdy, and well-finished. Good job on saving so much money! I think white works well because a special item with color in it pops against the white background, like the vase on your dresser.
ReplyDeleteThank you Priscilla. There was a time I really disliked white furniture. Now I like it, especially when the room doesn't have a lot of natural light.
DeleteAll your pieces have come up well Nil, you must be feeling pretty pleased with your "new" furniture. The bedside table is an interesting piece.
ReplyDeleteThank you Nanette. I too like the shape of the bedside table. It is heavy, study piece, and I like that it has a little lockable drawer.
DeleteThey look amazing! Well done.
ReplyDeleteThank you. :)
DeleteWow! What a transformation. I am so impressed. I didn't even recognize the dresser. Well done, Nil.
ReplyDeleteThanks Stephenie. Sometimes even I can't believe how it changed because of just several coats of paint. I keep looking at it and admiring its new look. :)
ReplyDelete