Saturday, November 4, 2017

CD Coasters

Last month I participated in a Christmas swap organized by The Homemaker's Forum. There are so many creative, talented members there who do amazing quilting, patchwork, knitting, card making, soap making etc.

I'm not very good at any of those crafts, but I like making things and appreciate handmade gifts.  I have a collection of old CDs, so I decided to make CD coasters. There are many ways to make CD coaters, you can find lots of ideas online. I didn't want to glue fabric or paper because I thought they wouldn't last long if coasters get wet. So I decided to sew circles of fabric on both sides of the CDs.

First I placed a CD on a piece of paper and drew the outline. I added a 1/2 inch outer line the circle and cut out along the outer line.


Using the paper circle as a guide, I cut four fabric circles. I sewed a running stitch just inside the fabric circle, placed a CD at the center and pulled the thread so the fabric enclosed the CD. Then I made a knot to keep the stitch in place.

Pulling the running stitch to hold the CD inside the fabric circle.

Then I cut a felt circle 1/4 inch smaller than the CD and hand stitched it to the bottom of the coaster using blanket stich. I forgot to take a photo of this step. :( I used felt because it is softer and less prone to slip.  
I made 4 coasters and a small mug rug for my swap gift.


CD coasters.




I am making another set of coasters for a friend who liked the ones I made for the swap. I bought fabric remnants at the thrift store. They sell small pieces of brand new fabric - pieces not big enough for large projects. I love these, most are upholstery fabric and drapery fabric. CDs are from my old movie collection. I think this a good way to use old CDs.


XX
Nil

11 comments:

  1. I certainly think you are very talented with upcycling, making things and craft Nil. You also have a great imagination and come up with wonderful ideas.
    Love your coasters and a good way to use those CD’s.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty fabric, and a clever way to use old cds. Nice work Nil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're pretty coasters! It's cool that you found the fabric as a remnant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Priscilla. Thrift stores sometimes carry all sorts of nice fabric, but I have to wait months to find something I like because they don't have it everyday. It teaches me to be patient. :)

      Delete
  4. Those are fabulous, Nil! I love the fabric; it's so festive. What a great way to recycle your CD's. I'm sure your swap partner will be very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie. I thought colors would be appropriate for Christmas season. :)

      Delete
  5. Bela ideia. Ficaram lindos. Bom fim de semana.Abraço.

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻