I feel that this weekend was not really a productive one. I didn't get to do much at home. I had a stack of tests to grade, and attended a meeting on Saturday. The meeting was very informative, but I spent half of the day there and came home really tired.
Every week I think I should do X, Y, Z in the weekend, and the weekend comes and go, and I don't get everything done.
Normally I start my weekends with cleaning the entire house. Then I cook, do laundry and tend to plants. I get these usual tasks done, but anything else get pushed into the 'next week'. I've been wanting to sew curtains for my bedroom, repair two pairs of shoes, do more cross stitch every week, plant new vegetables etc. Then I read a book or watch Netflix and the time flies and the weekends disappear.
So I decided to make a to-do list for the next weekend. I have done this when I'm really busy, but I think I should make it a habit. I will have 6-8 tasks per weekend so it won't overwhelm me.
Though I don't feel very productive, this morning I did plant new mustard greens, sowed more lettuce, parsley and white icicle radish. I have several new bitter gourds on the vines now. They are still very small. I didn't pick the big gourd - I don't think it's ready yet.
| Can you see three little bitter gourds here? |
| A bitter gourd flower. |
I keep checking broccoli to see if there are any florets but there are none yet. The leaves look so healthy , so I cut the bottom leaves and sautéed them in coconut oil with onions, garlic, turmeric powder, salt and a pinch of red chili flakes. It was very good. This is the first time I cooked broccoli leaves. I moved the pots into a sunnier place, so hopefully I will see florets soon.
| Broccoli. |
I've read that in order to have fruits, I need a male tree and a female tree, but there's no way to tell which one is which.
| Avocado plant. |
I bought 6 small mustard greens from the store and planted them in pots. I also transplanted Malabar spinach grown from seeds from the old vines.
| Malabar spinach. |
I wanted a dresser for my bedroom, and a friend found one for me. Someone had placed it at the curb outside their home. It had stickers all over it. I guess the previous owner must be a kid. I can't complain, it is a sturdy piece of furniture and will look good with a coat of paint. The best thing is it is free. It has a top panel that can be pulled out.
| New to me dresser with stickers. |
| This needs a good cleaning. |
I removed stickers and lightly sanded the drawers. I'm going to paint it white to match my bedroom furniture and attach drawer knobs. I bought a can of white paint from Habitat for Humanity store for $3. This is going to be one of my weekend projects.
How was your weekend?
XX
Nil
How was your weekend?
XX
Nil
You make me a little envious planting - we awoke to snow this morning. It has been snowing / raining all day so far. I too make lists or I wouldn't know where to begin. I actually like your dresser minus the stickers all over it. It should be pretty.
ReplyDeleteWe only had about a week of cold weather and the temperature is again at mid 80s. I wish we had snow as long as I could stay home. :)
DeleteYour container gardening is going well Nil. I grew collard greens this year, for the first time, they're like a cabbage without a heart, so are a pick and come again green. A bit like your young broccoli leaves. I find I get many more meals from then instead of planting just a few cabbages or broccoli. Your dresser was a great footpath find, it'll look great painted up.
ReplyDeleteI too like collard greens, though I haven't planted any yet. :)
DeleteThe dresser looks great. I'd love to see it when it's finished. X
ReplyDeleteI will post a photo after it's done. :)
DeleteI can relate to your post Nil. Sometimes I get the normal day to day things done and before I know it the day is over and other items are left untouched. I do get to them eventually.
ReplyDeleteI also enjoy eating the broccoli leaves. No longer need to purchase any greens.
Having a list I'm sure will certainly help. I use a running list and check in with that once a week.
Kylie
To-do lists are great, Kylie. I do it at work, but not always for house work. Like you, I get them done eventually though. :)
DeleteI'm impressed that you already got the stickers off the dresser. I've found it hard to get stickers off of wood. The last wood-with-stickers project I had, I gave up after several careful tries and took an electric sander to the stickers! I ended up having to paint the whole piece, of course. Fortunately, it turned out looking nice in the end.
ReplyDeleteAs usual, your plants look so lush and healthy. You are a talented gardener, Nil!
Priscilla, I used three different methods to remove stickers. Some were so easy I just peel off using my nails. I also used a hair dryer on hot setting on some stickers to loosen the glue. Finally I used a metal scraper on stubborn ones. :)
DeleteHi Nil, That's too bad that work takes up so much of your free time. You are still very productive. I planted six broccoli and six cauliflower plants, and they all disappeared. Hopefully the six artichoke plants will make it. I think a squirrel or raccoon took the others. Congratulations on the dresser. I'm sure it will look beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI hope your artichokes will grow well. I bought 6 tomato plants a couple of months back and 5 died. I don't know why. I feel so sad when plants die. :(
DeleteI use my son's half-used school exercise books for writing quick daily lists each day. I keep the book on my kitchen bench and just tick off things as I do them during the day. It has become a routine in that I write the list each morning, not long after I get up, and before I start (or get distracted) by anything else!! Great that you got a new-to-you piece of furniture for free, Nil. It will look great once you've finished painting it. Meg:)
ReplyDeleteI'm also going to keep a book for writing things down. It's great idea Meg. Thanks. :)
DeleteQue grande plantação! Bons alimentos irão surgir. Bom fim de semana. Cumprimentos.
ReplyDeleteThank you for visiting my blog and commenting Sandra.
Delete