Northern states in the US are experiencing extremely cold temperatures this week. Even the US Postal Service has temporarily suspended services in several states. I see snow covered roads and buildings on the news and on some of my favorite blogs. It's 46 degrees F (~ 8 degrees C) at the moment. Still It's cold for us Floridians and especially for me. ☺
I remember the first time I experienced snow. I had been in the US for about three months, living in a Midwestern state at that time. During my first winter break I went to visit a friend in Cincinnati, Ohio. We were at the Cincinnati Art Museum. I looked up and saw snow falling outside the window. We ran outside. Within several minutes the ground and the nearby tables were covered with a thin layer of snow. I stayed outside for a while and thoroughly enjoyed the feeling of snow flakes hitting my face. It was an exhilarating moment.
I remember that evening I was in my friend's second floor apartment, watching snow flakes falling on the window sill. It was then I noticed the hexagonal pattern of snow flakes.
![]() |
| My first snow experience. |
I remember that evening I was in my friend's second floor apartment, watching snow flakes falling on the window sill. It was then I noticed the hexagonal pattern of snow flakes.
I'm not used to very cold temperatures, but I love seeing snow. There's something just beautiful about snow covered rooftops and pathways. I find undisturbed sheets of snow so calming and peaceful.
How is the weather in your area? Do you get snow?
| Somewhere in Indiana. |
| Chicago. |
![]() |
| The Tuileries Garden, Paris. |
| Horsetail falls, Oregon. |
XX
Nil


We've enjoyed a few light coverings of snow here, although not quite enough to get out the sledge. The temperature is around -4 tonight, which is about right for the time of year. X
ReplyDeleteI hope you stay warm, Jules. -4 is way too cold for me. :)
DeleteLuckily the temperature here didn't drop below zero yet. If it does I have to cover all my plants and take potted ones indoors because most are tropical plants.
No snow here Nil! However just occasionally, in winter, our highest peak sometimes gets a snow flurry. It is enough to send people driving hundreds of kilometres to try to see. It is beautiful to see snow in a pristine location like the Australian Alps though.
ReplyDeleteI too love seeing snowy mountains earthmotherwithin. But I wouldn't drive that far to see snow :)
DeleteIt's 13 F degrees here in central Virginia (-10 C). It's definitely cold enough for snow, but there is none on the ground . . . which is okay because snow is pretty, but it shuts the schools down around here, and it makes it hard to drive.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I would like driving in the snow. :)
DeleteNil, I also love the look of the snow but I am guessing that it would be so cold that I would start looking forward to our heatwaves. LOL! I don't think they are quite as life threatening as the cold weather hitting the US at the moment.
ReplyDeleteI know Chel, why can't the weather be always just right, right? Not too hot or too cold. :)
DeleteNo snow in San Diego! It did snow here a several years ago but it was before dawn so it was difficult to see. Obviously it was just flakes that disappeared once they hit the ground. The whole event lasted about 10 minutes but it was the talk of the town. I have lived in and traveled to many places with wintery weather. I like it here!!!
ReplyDeleteI remember that after hearing about my relocation to Florida someone told me San Diego had the best weather in the US and that I should be moving there, not to Florida. :)
DeleteOh yes, such temps are cold, for people in FL!!!!! ,-) And since you did not grow up, with cold and snow, really cold weather would be not nice, for you... To watch snow fall, is one thing. To have to go out in it, and drive in it, and etc., every day......... That would not be pretty. :-)
ReplyDeleteBut since I was born here, and have experienced 4 seasons, for all my 81 years, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
☃ ❄ ❅ ❆ ⛄
Oh I wouldn't enjoy driving in the snow at all. My roommate used to put me in the car, crank up the heater and then clear snow off the car. :)
DeleteYou are lucky to be able to experience all 4 seasons.
We had about an inch or so of snow and two snow days, but we are back at work/school now. I loved reading about your first time seeing the snow. It is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear that it was not too bad in your area, Belinda. I think we all will have much warmer weather next week.
DeleteYou reminded me of my first experience of snow! I was in Wisconsin - my first year of undergrad. My roommates and I ran out (as did several others in the apartment building) to experience it. I was told I had to stick out my tongue to try to catch a snowflake! LOL!
ReplyDeleteI had no idea you were in a Midwestern state! After I left Wisconsin, I moved to Florida for a bit (Jacksonville area, later, a bit further south). Then, to California. :)
It was 56F, here today (daytime high) and rainy! Right now, as I type this, it is supposed to be 52F, outside. I have the heater on and I am sitting right in front of it!
Ooh 52F is cold. It's getting warmer again here.
DeleteAfter living my first two years in a cold state, I decided I must move to a warmer area so I moved to Florida.
This is the second time I'm in Florida. Like you, I too moved around a bit. The last time I was looking for a job, I had an offer from South Dakota as well. Florida was a no brainer, so I came back. :)
Snow is beautiful, quiet, and serene. Yet it does keep us inside! I like the photos....I've been at that waterfall a few years ago. Andrea
ReplyDeleteI loved seeing Horsetails falls and Multnomah falls in winter. It was breathtaking to see half frozen waterfalls.
Delete