I wanted to write this post for several days now. But every time, I simply stared at the screen and I wasn't in a mood to type a single word.
It's not the busyness that kept me from writing this time. When I took a short break from blogging, I was overwhelmed with work. Then on April 21st, on Easter Sunday, I woke up to awful news from my home country, Sri Lanka. I'm sure most of you heard about the explosions in Sri Lanka. Several suicide bombers killed over 250 people and injured hundreds at several churches and hotels. Sri Lankans had been enjoying a relatively peaceful decade after 30 years of war. And then this happened. I was relieved that my family and friends were safe, but shocked and saddened by the suffering and death of hundreds of innocent people.
The country was almost paralyzed for a week. People are scared and nervous. Schools and universities are still closed. There are security check points , and continuous warnings about future attacks. I simply do not understand how someone can cause so much pain on innocent people, people who were praying at churches on one of their most religious days. I do not understand the mentality of someone who calmly walks into a church or a hotel fully knowing the destruction they are about to cause. I guess I will never understand why.
My heart weeps for the families who lost their loved ones. I know that eventually Sri Lankans will find the strength to go on. May my home country find peace and happiness soon again. π
XX
Nil
Oh dear Nil. I too am lost at some of the events that occur. I'm glad your relations are safe, but for those who suffer, my heart is saddened. Wishing you and yours both courage and peace.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Lady Locust.
DeleteIt's so tragic, Nil. I read a lot of books about karma, and they say that our soul agrees to these circumstances, but it's still very painful.
ReplyDeleteMost Buddhists believe in karma, Stephenie. Still it's so painful when something in this magnitude happens so unexpectedly.
DeleteOh Nil, it was such a heart breaking attack. There is too much hatred in this world. No God nor religion is about hate, only love. Hate comes from humans, to serve their own agendas. I too will never understand it.
ReplyDeleteMy prayers are with the people of Sri Lanka.
xx
Thank you so much Emma.
DeleteIt is so very sad. X
ReplyDeleteYes Jules. I cried when I saw how many little kids had died.
DeleteYes, this is terrible for the people of Sri Lanka. I feel very much for them. I have had the privilege of meeting people in the churches and know they have already put up with so much. Praying for peace.
ReplyDeleteThank you earthmotherwithin.
DeleteMy first prayer daily is to ask for peace, and will continue to top my list. My hope is that someday people will be able to discuss differences rationally and without malice.
ReplyDeleteI hope that day will come very soon Anne.
DeleteI'm glad your family and friends are OK, Nil. I, too, was in shock and felt sad. I don't understand, either. I guess I never will. :(
ReplyDeleteThank you Bless. I asked my family not to go to crowded places, even to the temple.
DeleteI was thinking of you and your family Nil, when I saw the news. It is just too awful and so very hateful and vengeful. I am glad your family is ok. xx
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Christina.
DeleteMy stomach was also sick to the core when I read about it. No matter whose country it is they are still innocent human beings. May they Rest In Peace and May you have some comfort
ReplyDeleteXoxooxox
Thank you Bridget.
DeleteNil, my heart goes out to you and your home country of Sri Lanka. I don't understand how people can do that either. It's wonderful that your family is safe and sound.
ReplyDeleteThanks Belinda.
DeleteSo sad. I don't understand such intense hatred from people who do things like that. I pray for peace and healing.
ReplyDeleteThank you Priscilla.
DeleteI'm sorry for you and your home country. I felt the same way. I don't know why people want to harm others. Andrea
ReplyDeleteI guess we will never understand the cruel mentality of some people, Andrea.
DeleteOh Nil, I did not know, that this, is where you are from.............. Any, of all the horrors of the world, take on a more personal feeling, if we know someone, whom it so closely effects.
ReplyDeleteThere is no comprehending all/any of these horrors... -sighhhhhhhh-
Sending you many gentle hugs...
✨π±✨
Thank you wisps of words.
DeleteMy heart aches. Your post is beautiful. My thoughts are with you and the people of Sri Lanka.
ReplyDeleteThank you Anita.
DeleteNil, when I heard the first lot of news my first thought was of your family. I am so pleased they are okay but how sad for you and them seeing this violence in your country. We will never understand the motives behind such a tragedy.
ReplyDeleteThank you Chel.
DeleteMore hugs for you Nil. You know how much I love Sri Lanka, and have seen acts of violence there firsthand, and know how hard the people have strived for peace. It's heartbreaking that this unconcionable and hateful act has shattered their hard-won peace. My thoughts and love are with you and your beautiful country π
ReplyDeleteThank you Nanette.
DeleteI really hope these uncertain times will soon be over.
ReplyDeleteIt would have been so hard to write, Nil, with so much sorrow. I find such violence and hatred so hard to fathom and I think that is true of most people all around the world. There are so very many good people in this world who, just through their ordinary and everyday ways, share their kindness and care with open hearts. That's what I hold onto and I hope you have felt that love and kindess surround you since. MegXx
Thank you Meg.
Delete