The week started with low temperatures. On Tuesday it was very cold. Fortunately there was no frost, though I covered some tropical plants with old saris and big paper bags, just to be safe.
By Thursday it was warmer (still a bit chilly for me, but it was nice weather). All my plants except the sweet potato plant withstood cold weather well.
![]() |
| Mustard greens. |
![]() |
| Brussels sprout. |
I sowed coriander, parsley, and sage seeds in pots. I also changed coir liners in the hanging pots in the patio because they didn't retain water well. I re-potted the plants in plastic containers.
Several weeks ago I cleaned the fridge coils, and since then I had been wanting to clean the dryer vent. But I wasn't sure how to do it properly. Finally this Saturday a friend did it for me. He pulled the dryer out and cleaned the vent with a shop vac.
This week I tried a new dish. Oat risotto. I sauteed chopped onions, leeks and baby portobello mushrooms in butter & olive oil, added steel cut oats and cooked a bit. Then I added chicken stock one cup at a time until oats were well cooked. At the end, I stirred in some frozen sweet peas. It was delicious. I had it for breakfast, and it was a very filling meal.
I also made elderberry cordial. This is the second time I made it, and this time I had enough berries to make about 2 cups of cordial. I had frozen berries from the summer crop. I used this recipe. After cooking berries and grated ginger in water, I used the food mill to get all the juice out. Later I saw that there was a sticky yellow residue in the food mill. I scrubbed it with baking soda, but I couldn't remove the stain completely. If you make elderberry cordial, have you ever seen a yellow residue like that? I didn't use the food mill last time, so I didn't notice any residue. For the first batch I used fresh berries, while this batch was frozen. I wonder if that's what caused the sticky residue.
![]() |
| Elderberry cordial. |
So far, January has been a frugal month. This semester I'm teaching an extra class, so I have a bit more income. I paid an additional $250 toward the mortgage principal. I shopped around to find a lower car insurance, but the quotes I received were not that much better. I learned that some companies give you a so called introductory online discount (about 7-10%) for the first 6 months, and then the premium goes up again. I think I will most probably stay with the current company, at least for the next 6 months. According to this article, Florida is the third most expensive state for car insurance, after Michigan and Louisiana.
My home insurance also went up. The insurance agent told me that she could try to find a better rate, if I get a 4 point inspection. So I am planing to get an inspection. Many big insurance companies do not insure homes in Florida anymore due to hurricanes. They still keep the old customers, but do not issue new policies. Sometimes I think I picked the wrong state to live frugally. 😏
We are expecting another full week with temperatures lower than the average. I downloaded another Charles Lenox mystery - The Vanishing Man. What's better than a good book and a hot cup of tea when it's cold outside? 🍵 📚😊
This week I'm grateful for:
1) MLK holiday.
2) having old saris and large paper bags to cover plants.
3) central heating, winter jackets and hats.
4) naps 😴.
5) lake view from the kitchen window.
6) the friend who cleaned the dryer vent.
7) nice weather for yard work.
XX
Nil





It sound very chilly, Nil. We are getting set for a very hot week here. Your mustard greens look very healthy as do the brussel sprout plants. It's great you will have s.ome extra income to put towards your mortgage. Extra payments can make a big difference!
ReplyDeleteStay warm!
MegXx
I hope you get more rain this week, Meg.
DeleteHere, the weather is not as cold as in up north, but it is still quite cold for me. :)
Your plants all look very healthy and not at all affected by the cold temperatures! I am picturing all your plants draped with old saris! Must have been very colorful! You've had a busy week with work, getting new insurance quotes, and some deep cleaning of your appliances.
ReplyDeleteI like your list of gratitudes. :)
Hope you stay warm during this cold spell and you have a good week ahead.
I read that mustard greens and brussels sprout can tolerate cold temperatures, so I didn't bother to cover them. I covered moringa, bitter gourd vines and several herbs. I had brought my sister's old saris just for that. :)
DeleteYour greens look so healthy, despite the cold weather. I haven't really spent any time in my garden since injuring my back in September, I'm hoping for some dry days this week to spruce things up a little.
ReplyDeleteI hope you feel better soon, thrift deluxe.
DeleteFortunately some of my plants are cold tolerant.
My auto Insurance went up last summer. I called my agent to discuss it because it really bothered me. I shopped around for new insurance, but none of them come close to what I pay here, so I stick with them. The Oat risotto sounds delicious. I'll have to try that one.
ReplyDeleteI have one more insurance company to check with, and then I'm going to decide whether to stay with the current company. It's strange that no matter how good your driving record is, the premiums always go up.
DeleteI was following that run of cold weather in Florida and was thinking of you. Here in California homeowner's insurance has gone up across the state due to state mandated surcharges to pay for wildfire damages. Ours shot up over 200%, but by increasing our deducible I was able to get the price back down. Sometimes there is a price to pay for living in paradise!
ReplyDelete200% increase is a LOT! I'm glad you were able to lower it by increasing your deductible. In my case, doubling the deductible wouldn't lower the price that much.
DeleteYour plants look so healthy! Hope it warms up! At least the nights so that they don't dip so low. Interesting about the car insurance, good article link. I hear Florida's homeowners insurance is high also. Andrea
ReplyDeleteToo many hurricanes, Andrea. So home insurance is expensive. And auto insurance is high because there are so many uninsured drivers. :(
DeleteI'm envious seeing your weather report with the sunshine, it's just been gloomy and damp here. Your garden is looking great. X
ReplyDeleteHehee it's still too cold for me, Jules. :)
DeleteI have to smile at your being cold. But not really. I know, being cold, is very different for people used to a warm climate... Than for someone like me, who has always lived with 4 seasons.
ReplyDeleteBut! You have flowers and other growing plants! None of that going on here, up in real North country. -smile-
Interesting about the increases in insurance. People "up here," think of how wonderful your state taxes situation is down there. But, if you have higher insurance... Oh my, win on one, and lose on another. -smile-
💖 💖 💖
Oh yes, not having a state tax is a good thing. We can’t have it all, can we? 😁
DeleteSo good to garden when the weather is mild, winter's my favourite time in the garden. You'll have a lovely feat of those Brussels sprouts when they're ready. They're expensive here at the moment, even locally grown are $16 a kilo, but I bought some at the Farmer's Market and cooked them with lentils from a recipe I found in a magazine. Very nice! I use all parts of elder to dye fabric, I get a nice golden yellow.....so yes, not surprising the berries have stained your mill.
ReplyDeleteIt’s good hear that elderberries cause yellow stains. For a moment I was worried thinking some how I made it poisonous.
DeleteThis morning I added some cordial to my morning juice, and I’m still breathing. So seems to be safe. hehee😁
Good to hear you're cordial is safe 😆
DeleteGarden looking good Nil.
ReplyDeleteThanks earthmotherwithin. 😊
DeleteGood job on the mortgage
ReplyDeleteThanks Akasha. 😊
DeleteWow, it's gone down to 35 degrees in Florida? Your plants look like they are thriving. I think home insurance has gone up everywhere. Here in California, it's due to the fires. I had to find someone to insure the cabin, too. It took my agent a while, but he finally located a broker in another state. I have been with my agent for twenty years, and have never filed a claim. I think you're doing great. Soon you will have paid off that mortgage! Your heating bills are probably far less in FL than in other states. Car insurance is also based on the make and model of the car. If you drive one that younger drivers drive, your rates will usually be higher. It helps to drive an older car. Mine is a 2000.
ReplyDeleteMy car is not an expensive one, but I did buy it new, and it’s not that old yet. I still have comprehensive coverage and I plan to drop it when the car’s value depreciates more.
DeleteNot having a mortgage is one of my main financial goals. I can’t wait to get there! 😊
I hope you get a good value house insurance Nil. I find shopping for insurance stressful and try to avoid it as much as possible. I didn't know Brussels sprouts grows in Florida, I always thought it is a cold weather crop. Love the thought of colourful old saris protecting your plants!
ReplyDeleteWe can grow Brussels sprouts in winter, Christina. But there's a very short time frame as it gets warm very quick here.
DeleteI dream about lake view from my window☺
ReplyDelete😊😊😊
DeleteToo bad about the higher insurance costs, Nil. I had also heard that Florida was an ex[pensive state to live in. That seemed odd to me considering the number of people who retire and move there. I'm not sure how long you have lived there or whether you would consider moving to a less costly part of the country in a few years. Your plants look like they are doing well, despite the chilly temps.
ReplyDeleteI think most retirees move here because of warm weather. 😊
DeleteI’ve been in and out of Florida close to two decades now Beatrice , and I don’t plan to move to another state anytime soon. At least, that’s the current plan. 😁