![]() |
| Withlacoochee river. |
Thank you so much everyone, for your get well wishes. 💝 I'm feeling all well now, and had a very good week.
Just after Christmas, my blender started making strange noises. It has an 8 year warranty, so I contacted the company. The customer rep was very helpful, and after listening to the noise she said the problem was the seal in the jar. They sent me a new jar and the blender now works perfectly.
My road trip buddy and I took a short trip to a couple of small towns. We have a habit of looking up small towns on a map and just driving there. This time, we went to Masaryktown and Nobleton. Masaryktown is named after the first president of Czechoslovakia, Thomas Masaryk and there had been a large Czech community. We were expecting historical buildings, Czech restaurants etc, but there was nothing but several Czech street names.
We stopped at a thrift store run by a Romanian lady. She said many years ago she and her husband ran a Romanian restaurant in that building. We had a nice chat with her about Romania and Romanian food. I also bought a crochet book for $1.
![]() |
| $1 thrift store find. |
Then we drove to Nobleton. It is much smaller than Masaryktown. We stopped at a Circle K gas station to ask for directions. According to the owner, that store is the only store within 10 miles. And that Circle K store sells the most beer in the state. 😮
![]() |
| Circle K with the most beer sales. |
We also saw several horse farms and a small winery. Though smaller, I liked Nobleton more. It has more country charm. We stopped to see Withlacoochee river. It was a cool morning, and too early for any tourists, so we had a very quiet and relaxing time watching birds near the river.
![]() |
| Withlacoochee river. |
On our way back, we stopped at a Walgreens to use the restroom. They were having an after Christmas sale, and I bought two heated travel mugs for $5. They are ideal for my day trips.
I had meetings on Thursday and Friday. Classes start tomorrow. I'm chairing two new committees this semester. I have a very nice group of colleagues in our small department, so I know it is going to be easy. I had published syllabi and other class material on the course management system by Thursday, so I had a relaxing weekend. After seeing A Death in the Small Hours by Charles Finch on Wisps of Words book pile, I downloaded the e-book. I'm on chapter 23 now, and am really enjoying the story. It's mystery novel set in England during the Victorian era. I plan to read all the books in this series. There are 12 books in the Charles Lenox series and this is the 6th one.
After neglecting the yard for a couple of weeks, finally I had time to weed a flower bed and water the plants. I have three garden hoses in three sides of the house, and I find it very convenient.
Though I love staying home, I'm also excited to go back to work and meet new students.
I packed lunch and snacks, and filled water bottles for tomorrow. A loaf of bread is cooling in the kitchen, and as soon as it cools down enough to be covered, I should go to bed. Tomorrow is going to be a long day at work.
Hmmm... may be I'll read one more chapter and then go to bed. 📚
Have a wonderful week everyone. 🌻🌻🌻
This week I'm grateful for:
1) caring friends.
2) companies that provide long warranties on their products, and good customer service.
3) after Christmas discounts.
4) being able to live close to work.
5) supportive colleagues.
6) nice weather to work in the garden.
7) multiple garden hoses. 😊
XX
Nil




In response to the name of that River - "bless you!" 😂
ReplyDeleteI saw that book on the book pile but it didn't dawn on me until just now. My mom likes murder mysteries. Thank you for mentioning it. I will have to share the title and author with her.
Hahaa it took me a second to understand what you meant. :D Thank you. :)
DeleteOh, I have that same book! Every time I declutter, I pull it out thinking I can give it away, but, look at all the projects inside and put it back on the shelf! :)
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you are feeling well, again, Nil. Nice list of things you are grateful for!
Hope you have a good start to the new semester, tomorrow. Sounds like you'll be busy!
Bless, there are several easy hat patterns in that book. I'm thinking of making one. :)
DeleteThe river scene looks lovely and peaceful. It's exciting to discover new places.
ReplyDeleteIt's good to read you're feeling much better. X
Yes, Jules it was a quiet spot. I love less touristic areas. :)
DeleteThat's so funny about the Circle K in that tiny town of Nobleton. The river is gorgeous! I'm glad you had a fun trip.
ReplyDeleteYes, I can't believe people in that tiny town drink that much beer! :)
DeleteNil,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed this post. I too love the charm and simple grace of small towns where time is taken for the little things in life. I also loved the picture of the Withlacoochee River. When I see places like that, or of quiet lakes, I always construct a dream home right beside it. Not sure how that'll pan out in reality, but hey, you can go wherever you want in dreams, right?
I'm happy that you're going back to something nice and welcoming at the new work year. I know too well how important that is.
God bless you, Nil.
Yes. I think we all should have dreams. And one day one of these dreams might come true. We never know. :)
DeleteThank you for stopping by, Caitlynne. Just today I found your blog and added it to my reading list.
Glad to hear that you are feeling better. The start of term is always exciting isn't it, with new people to meet and new schedules to work to. Hope your first day back goes well.
ReplyDeleteIt's too early to say, but so far it seems like I have a nice bunch of students. :)
DeleteSounds like a nice road trip. Good luck with your first day of classes!
ReplyDeleteThanks Julie. Good luck to you as well! I hope the first day of the semester is going well. :)
DeleteThe photo of the river is lovely. I like to go explore small towns and need an exploring pal to go with me.
ReplyDeleteWishing you the best this new semester.
Thank you Anne.
DeleteI hope you will find an exploring pal soon. :)
What a fun little trip. Seeing small towns is delightful. Have to do it, before they all disappear! -smile-
ReplyDeleteAnd that river is lovely too.
So glad your cold has been mastered!!!
And glad you are looking forward, to the coming semester.
🔥💛🔥
Small towns are disappearing very fast, Wisps. It's very hard to find ones on the web. I think if a town is publicized as a small town on several web sites it is not a really a small town but a tourist trap. :)
DeleteBeautiful outdoor scenes are good for many problems -- but not for a stuffy nose! Your little trips sound very amusing.
ReplyDeletebest... mae at maefood.blogspot.com
That is so true, Mae. Nature is very therapeutic.
DeleteI am glad to hear you are feeling better Nil. I like a nice drive to the countryside but we don't do it often enough. Did you spot any interesting wildlife along the river? Have a lovely week, I hope your new students are nice.
ReplyDeleteI did see several birds, Christina. Unfortunately I didn’t have my bird books with me so I couldn’t identify them. And I only had the phone to take photos, and birds were too far away to get a close up photo.
DeleteStudents seem to be fine, so far. 😊
Crochet book sounds so interesting, what a great find!
ReplyDeleteYes Natalia. It’s an old book, but has beautiful patterns.
DeleteHi Nil, You are going to go to town with that crochet book. Excellent price! Your trip sounds like it was so much fun. I'm sure your students are looking forward to having you teach them.
ReplyDeleteI can’t decide if I should start another crochet project, so an embroidery project. I have too many crafts projects that I’d like to do. 😊
DeleteNil, so pleased you are on the mend. I love seeing photos taken on the other side of the world especially some of the snow photos from the colder areas. I miss my work colleagues now that I am retired.
ReplyDeleteIt’s not very cold here, Chel. But some days are too cold for me. 😊
DeletePerhaps you can have a get together with your former colleagues once in a while?
I'm so glad you're feeling better, and what a fun little trip. Makes me want to hop in my car and go somewhere.
ReplyDeleteThe crochet book is a good find.
Have a great week!
Toni
I’m sure you have beautiful little towns in your state, Toni. FL is becoming too populated and it’s hard to find little towns that do not cater to tourists.
DeleteI know I am a bit late in commenting this week, but we have been on a vacation trip. The crochet book looks like a good bargain. I know how you feel about seeing colleagues again after a break. I keep in touch with a few whom I have known for decades across several companies. Good luck with the first week of classes.
ReplyDeleteThanks Anita. The first week went well, and it looks like I have a nice bunch of students. 😊
DeleteI hope your work-day went well! You probably wouldn't enjoy being home as much if you did it every day of the year without feeling fulfilled of a good work day! Interesting road trip! Andrea
ReplyDeleteYes, Andrea. I like staying home, but at the same time I enjoy my work. I’m fortunate to have a very rewarding career. 😊
DeleteThe short road trips sound like wonderful day trip adventures, the best kind, Nil. Hope all went well with the return to classes and glad too that you are feeling better. Thanks for your kind comment on our Christmas 2019 road trip.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to taking long road trips like you do, Beatrice. Most probably after I retire. 😊
DeleteIt's lovely that you do look forward to your work, Nil, and feel fulfilled by it. Along with the work around creating a comfortable and happy home, I think that's a great way to be. Meg:)
ReplyDeleteYes, Meg. I think I'm very fortunate when it comes to my career. I enjoy what I do, and I have great colleagues. :)
Delete