Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Unsuccessful Crochet Attempts & More Photos for SPSH



Homemade bread 

The past week was not a very productive one. I spent an enormous amount of time crocheting and unraveling a sweater.  First I started making this sweater/shrug. I had 5 skeins of #6 yarn. When I tried it on, I didn't like how it bunched up in the back. No matter how much I tried to adjust it ( by shortening it, and making sleeves shorter/longer etc.) I knew I would not wear it. 

Then I decided to try this pattern.  That didn't work either because after crocheting two rows, I thought it was ugly. And I couldn't hold the huge 15 mm crochet hook properly. 😞

The third try was this pattern.  I unraveled the first shrug, and crocheted this sweater. As I was crocheting I thought that the sleeves looked too large, but I thought it would work once I attached the sleeves to the body. Nope! I looked like a football player with those huge shoulder pads! I should have taken a photo, but I was so upset and started removing sleeves from the body and while doing so accidentally cut several stitches. 😒 Frustrated, I stuffed everything in a bag and put it in the spare room so I don't have to see it.

I decided to give myself sometime to calm down, before trying another pattern. 😊
So I took several photos for SPSH.

1. A favorite piece of jewelry

I don't wear jewelry except for small gold earrings.  I have three sets, and this is my favorite. These are my very first earrings. I have been wearing these on and off since  I was about 4 or 5 years old.



3. Something with the colors of your country's flag

This is a hard one. I took two photos, but I'm not satisfied with either one. I can't just take a photo of the US flag that's on my desk, can't I ? πŸ˜‰
The first one is a fridge magnet. Though it shows the map of France, the USA flag has the same colors, so I picked this magnet as an option for #3.



The second photo shows three embroidery yarns. However, it's not a single object, so I don't think this photo is a good candidate for #3.



8. A leaf longer than your hand

An eggplant leaf.



9. Something that starts with the initial of your name

A nest (N). This is the abandoned mockingbird nest. All three babies have left the nest. Initially I thought  they had been killed by predators, but this morning I saw a young mockingbird  on an oak branch. It could be another young bird, not one of the three babies in this nest, but I like to think they are all safe.  😊                                            




13. A rubber band/elastic in use

This is my garlic container. I have a rubber band on so I can grab the lid easily without dropping it.



14. Something with wheels

Wheelbarrow. Though it has only one wheel....




17. Something naturally round

Elderberries.



20. Something with number 7 in it

I have two photos for #20. 

My calculator.



A handmade clock. 



A week after I sent a complaint to Mistfits Market about the poor quality of the produce and the condition of the box, they replied. They apologized  and offered a 20% discount on the next order. However, I decided to cancel the subscription. I went to three stores and bought fruits and vegetables, almond milk, coconut milk, rice, oil, flour and canned food. I went over the monthly grocery budget by about $150, but I bought large quantities of canned and frozen food enough for at least 3 months.  

I received a 20% refund for April and May from my auto insurance company. They call it COVID relief refund. 

We had several rainy days. I did not do any yard work (because I was crocheting ugly sweaters). I did make two loaves of no knead bread. 

This week I want to be more productive. I plan to take a couple of professional development courses and start making a garden sign. 

Yesterday I learned that all fall courses are going to be online. I kind of expected it, though I really miss face to face interactions with my students. I wonder when we will be able to go back to classrooms again.

Take care all. Stay safe!

XXX

Nil



22 comments:

  1. Oh dear! Bad luck about your crochet! I hope you calm down and find a pattern that will do what you want it to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh bummer - sorry your sweaters didn't turn out. I suppose you can now say "I know which ones I won't make." That probably doesn't help much. We've received no discounts on anything so that's nice you got 20% off without even asking. It all adds up. Your eggplant is huge. Mine is maybe 6-8" tall:-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nil I sympathise with your crochet attempts, I have enough trouble with knitting, without attempting crochet at present. Small projects with you tube as a guide I think are the way to go for me at. Some great photos there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother-in-law made sweaters that sound like yours, but she never un-made them, just gave them to her children.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to do this challenge. Does it have to be your own photos or can they be stock images?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found the link to the challenge, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, dear! I'm sorry about the sweater patterns that didn't work out right! At least you are getting lots of practice in!

    Your homemade bread looks delicious and I like all your photos for SPSH; what a special clock!

    Hope you have a good week, this week, and better luck with the crocheting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have stuffed a project into a bag then into a cupboard many times!

    Love the idea of using the rubber band to make things easier to grip.

    I have started a new blog, should you be interested in taking a look - https://oneaveragewoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry you've had a frustrating time with your crochet work, although I love how you've hidden the yarn out of sight :) Just don't forget you've got it.
    The elastic band is a great idea. I'm going to use it myself. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should think you needed to calm down - how very frustrating for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photos Nil. I am pleased that you saw one of the young mockingbirds.

    I am sorry you had to unravel all your hard work, how frustrating. My secret to handmade jumpers is knitting. I think it is easier to fashion a well fitting garment. My friend Jo over at Three Stories High just showed a crochet jumper she made, you might like it. It looks really nice. Jo is the queen of all things handmade and she has made quite a few crochet garments. You can find a link over on my blog if you are not already a reader of Jo's blog.

    It is a shame that you won't be getting back to the classroom in September. My university starts back using a blended model, gradually opening up classrooms but I don't think we'll be able to run our practical week because there are no labs big enough to allow for physical distancing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, if you can't find a crochet pattern you like, you can do I what did. I used frogged (unraveled) yarn from a sweater as ribbon for wrapping presents. It makes fun, squiggly "ribbon" that you can wrap several times around a gift before tying it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nil, you did the right thing and put the entire kit n kaboodle away. It is supposed to be fun & relaxing. I've done it too. Sometimes it's the patterns, sometimes it's the yarn or both, and sometimes not the right project for the right time. It is frustrating because you want to make something. Hope it passes for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, how frustrating with the crocheting. It's a good idea to put it away for another day as a fresh start is often helpful. I'm sorry your Misfits box proved to be unsatisfactory. We have cancelled ours for the same reason. I was disappointed in the offerings, so no more for us either.

    I hope you have a good day, Nil.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The sweater making sounds frustrating.. hopefully it'll eventually turn into something you like. And that eggplant leaf is huge!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not being happy with your crochet work sounds so frustrating. Sometimes you just have to unravel! Too bad about the fall classes being on-line only. Students must miss the spontaneous interaction and sharing of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck with your next crochet project.....I laughed at your " no yardwork, too busy crocheting ugly sweaters" Creative photos for the topics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your bread looks amazing, so do your elderberries. I think I had some of those come up as a volunteer plant one year. They were delicious, but never returned. Too bad about the sweaters. I like crocheting for household items, but prefer knitting for sweaters and things to wear. I wonder if your yarn is too bulky for a refined looking sweater? I think you would be an excellent knitter, too. Try not to get frustrated. I'm sorry that you will have to teach online, but am glad that you are still employed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We are expecting rain over coming days here, Nil. This will be great for garden but I have just written myself a list of jobs to do so I don't curl up with a book and read whole days away!

    I understand your frustration with sweater attempts and having to unravel. I am having similar issue with scarf and have decided to use yarn for something with simpler pattern. I love the yarn but just can't get hang of more complicated pattern. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh poor you! With your crocheting. I've been there...but nothing as difficult as a sweater...just straight crochet trying to teach myself. I grew up with a big elderberry bush and never knew what it was ...tsk! I'm sure the birds liked having it though. Your leaf is impressive! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  21. When we were working in Chile- SA for awhile, a lady told me: "Even a bad experience is a good experience." I thought that was true because we do learn something. So this will be true for your crochet experience. May you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Some projects are like that Nil, disappointing to say the least. I liked all the items for the scavenger hunt photo, very creative. I think that many schools, colleges and universities will be forgoing in class teaching come the fall semester.

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻