![]() |
| Elderflower cordial |
I had a very productive week. We had heat advisories three days in a row, so I did not do much in the garden. I even waited until 7.30 pm or so to water potted plants. Lubber grasshoppers destroyed the two beds of Brussels sprouts so I pulled them all up and cleared the beds. Next time I plan to cover everything with nets.
![]() |
| Two Lubbers on a porterweed bush |
Squirrels are having parties on the passion fruit vine. Every day I find half eaten ripe fruits and uneaten green fruits on the ground. 😢 Today I picked 4 green fruits. I covered several fruits within my reach, so hopefully they will be safe from the squirrels.
County workers mowed grass and shrubbery near the lake. I had seen red winged black birds taking seeds from the bird feeder to the thicket there and assumed they had nests there. I'm sure the huge mower destroyed everything. Poor birds. This is how the area looked before.
| Before |
Now it looks like this.
| After |
This week I made my very first elderflower cordial. There weren't a lot of flowers, so I made only a small amount - about 25 fluid oz (750 ml).
I bought a bathroom sink. I found it at a Habitat for Humanity Restore. There were two identical sinks on display, and the sticker said each was $225! I was wondering if the store workers thought that the sinks were made of gold, when one walked by. So I asked him if the price was correct. He took it to the manager, came back and told me that the sinks were brand new but the price was wrong. It was only $35. He said they had several in boxes, and was kind enough to open them for me. Some had small chips, but I was able to find one without any defects. I looked for a cupboard as well, but couldn't find the correct size. I was planing to buy a new vanity set from the home improvement store if I hadn't found one at the Restore. I actually went to the home improvement store before going to the Restore. I'm glad that I was able to save money.
I don't want to spend too much time looking for a cupboard. I was relieved to see the Restore required masks and social distancing, but at other places there were people clearly ignoring safety guidelines.
I decided to remove the old sink and paint the existing cupboard. I ordered new hinges online so I didn't have to go to another store. I already have some white paint. If necessary, I can palce another online order.
I had 7 skeins of #6 yarn, so I crocheted a small blanket. It's about 4 ft x 4 ft. I didn't follow a pattern and used single crochet throughout. I found it difficult to use super bulky yarn. The blanket looked nice at first. Then I decided to wash it. It came out the washer with big holes! 😮
![]() |
| Holey blanket |
I stored it away, but plan to use it on the sofa when the weather cools down. I also made a small dish cloth. I want to make kitchen napkins from old towels so I can reduce using paper towels. That's a project for the next week. 😃
I did another redwork embroidery.
![]() |
| Redwork embroidery |
I completed 10 hours of professional development workshops. And created new assignments for summer classes. All our fall classes, including labs, are going to be online. I need to start preparing labs. I decided to teach live classes in fall. So students and I will meet twice a week via Zoom. Our dean is leaving for a new position in another state, so we had a Zoom farewell meeting. He has been such a wonderful dean, I hope the next one will be the same.
I have been doing exercises almost daily. Most days I use the exercise bike, and sometimes do yoga. I increased the time a little by little and now it's about 20-22 minutes. I think tonight I will do yoga. 😊
Have a wonderful week everyone. Stay safe.
XXX
Nil




How do you make your cordial, Nil? I am always looking for drinks to cool me down on a miserable hot humid day.
ReplyDeleteThe lake does look nicer, but you know someone lost a nest if not their babies. I would rather do it in early spring when the nest could be rebuilt with no fatalities.
Anne, this the recipe I used.
Deletehttps://veganonboard.com/the-best-homemade-elderflower-cordial/
I didn’t have that many flowers, so I reduced the amounts, and used only 1 cup of sugar.
Country people are notorious for not mowing grass regularly. I asked them several times to mow the grass closer to the lake, but they always had an excuse. Once it was overgrown they had to use a really big mower. If they had mowed it regularly grass wouldn’t have been dense enough for nests. I feel really sorry for the poor birds.
Wow, what a lovely update! Thanks.
ReplyDeletePoor birds, that's extremely sad. Why couldn't they have left it until nesting season was over?
The blanket is great, it really is - it will trap the warmth beautifully.
And well done with the sink. We don't have anything like this around here. I wish we did.
cc
County waited until the grass got too dense and finally they had to clear the drain ditch and the lake before the rainy season. I don’t think they even knew (or cared) about nests. 😢
DeleteProductive week indeed! I love the holey blanket -I am sure it will be warm when you need it. Sorry about the damage to your crops, Nil. We all have critters of some kind which want to eat our produce. Netting is the way to go.
ReplyDeleteI’m still learning about pest control, earthmotherwithin. This year it’s really bad. I’ll be more prepared next time. 😊
DeleteYay! You made some cordial. Did you enjoy it? X
ReplyDeleteJules, yes! It’s you who inspired me to make elderflower cordial. I love it. It’s so refreshing. 😊
DeleteYou did have a very productive week! I'm sorry to read that between the grasshoppers and the squirrels your garden is being depleted! By the way, the biologist in me thinks that you photographed those grasshoppers during an intimate moment. ;)
ReplyDeleteThat's too bad that the county mowed all the vegetation where there might have been nesting birds, etc.
You got a great deal on the sink! I hope you are able to reuse the existing cupboard. That'll be a nice project to work on. I like your fluffy blanket, even with the holes. Maybe the yarn shrank a bit in the wash?
I see that you have planned a few projects to work on, next week. I like the idea of making kitchen towels to replace paper towels. I try not to use paper towels, too much, but, I do prefer to use them to clean up after Dancer throws up!
Sounds like you'll have a busy fall schedule! Hope the new Dean will be someone nice to with whom to work.
Hope you have another productive week, next week, Nil. Stay well and take care.
Haha yes I think you are right about the grasshoppers. I hope my photographing didn’t disturb them. 😁
DeleteThe yarn I used for the blanket was a cheap one, so it shrank. If the holes keep getting bigger and bigger after each wash, I guess I can use it as a net to protect the passion fruit vine. LOL
Oh those darn squirrels. I hope the nets work. It's totally okay if the crocheted blanket has holes. The holes show off the stitches. It's still beautiful, and it'll still be warm and cozy.
ReplyDeleteThe blanket is cozy and feels really nice. But I was disappointed to see the holes. It’s a cheap yarn. A good lesson for me. 😊
DeleteYou did have a busy week! Those bad grasshoppers! And I know how squirrels are. They'll eat your fruit even before ripe (so that you can't even pick them early to advert their appetites) and take one bite and waste the rest!. Too bad about the lake trimming! We drive down a country road and the wildflowers are beautiful along the roadside....and then the town's workers come and cut all down!! Good thing you asked about the sink...you could have missed out in buying it if you thought that high price was the correct price! Your cordial looks good! Andrea
ReplyDeleteI think county people don't apprciate the beauty of wild flowers. They also mow wild flowers near the lake. :(
DeleteSquirrels are not very smart, aren't they? They can't even eat green passion fruits, but they still cut the stem and let them fall to the ground, then completely ignore them.:)
I feel for you with the insects and critters in the gardens. GRRRR! We net just about everything here to keep the squirrels, birds, and bugs out. Limited success, but at least it keeps some of the pests away. I hope you post a picture of the finished vanity with the new sink. It sounds like quite a good purchase.
ReplyDeleteYes, Anita I was very happy to find a new sink for a very good price. I will post a photo of the finished vanity. :)
DeleteI'm waiting for the new hinges. :)
You did have a busy week! That was a great find at Habitat Restore and good for you for asking about the price. All those critters eating crops is frustrating, hopefully the covered passion fruits will be safe from the squirrels. And that's sad about the bird's nest in the tall grass :(
ReplyDeleteYes, Julie it is frustrating to see half eaten fruits and leaves. The other day a squirrel even came runing toward me when I went to pick up a fruit. They are so audacious. :)
DeleteNil,
ReplyDeleteYou are so creative- love the blanket and the embroidery. Those grasshoppers are really colorful- but sorry they ruined your crop. We have been really annoyed by squirrels this year-much more than ususally. Hope you have a good week.
Aren't those grasshoppers pretty? Apparantly they don't have enemies, so they thrive. They are compleletely back when small, and get more colorful as they grow.
DeleteI'm sorry to also have squirrel problems. I like watching their antics as long as they don't eat my fruits. LOL
You did get a LOT done, Nil. Your redwork embroidery looks lovely. Elderflower cordial too! Grasshoppers can sure destroy things quickly, they can munch through so much! Disappointing that the area there near the lake had to cleared; it would've been nice for the birds' nesting time to be over first. Thought of you when Florida was mentioned in U.S. covid report on our news broadcast, hoping you stay safe and well.
ReplyDeleteMegXx
Thank you for thinking of me, Meg.
DeleteIt's not going well here because some people do not take it seriously. I wear a mask and try to follow social distancing whenever I have to go out.
That's so great that you are exercising regularly, Nil. I am happy for you. Too bad about the birds' habitat. That's a bummer that you have had grasshoppers and squirrels. They can do so much damage. I have caught grasshoppers here, and I give them to my chicken. I love your blanket and redwork. Just lovely!
ReplyDeleteI wish I had chickens! :) One day I'd like to have a couple of chickens. I think we are allowed to have 3 hens.
DeleteWhat a busy week! I am sorry about your Brussels sprouts, such a shame that the grasshoppers devoured them all. Fingers crossed they move on and your next crop is safe. I am speaking with no authority of course, I have no understanding at all of lubber grasshopper ecology. I hope it cools down a bit for you over the next few days so that you can enjoy a bit of daytime gardening.
ReplyDeleteI don't think we will have cooler weather anytime soon, Christina. May to October are the hottest months here. :(
DeleteSorry about the squirrels we have many here and they do much damage as well. I’ve not had elderflower drink but yours is the second post I’m reading about it. We had them here but I think I took them out when I made more room for the raised beds.
ReplyDeleteWow, on the pricing. What a big difference. Very cool that you asked about it.
Your blanket is very pretty.
Very cool on the classes and the increased exercise.