Friday, July 2, 2021

New Recipes & Other News

 

The other day I picked the very first moringa pod from one of the trees. I also picked more elderberries and passion fruits. 

I spent the last two weeks trying new recipes. I made Vietnamese pho several times, without meat. A couple of times I used mung bean noodles, and then tried rice noodles. After the first time, I made a big pot of broth and kept it in the fridge. It doesn't take that much time to cook noodles to add to the broth, so I had pho for even breakfast. 😊

Another recipe I tried was kimchi. I used this recipe as a guide, but didn't add salted seafood, and used fine sea salt because I don't have Korean coarse sea salt. It was so easy to make and turned out really delicious. 

Today I made Do Chua (Vietnamese daikon & carrot pickles). This is the recipe I used. 

Kimchi (left), Do Chua (right)

I wanted to make passion fruit curd, but didn't have time. I just finished grading a stack of tests, and I have to grade 3 more stacks of assignments and make a test for the next week. So this weekend is going to be busy. One of my students asked me what my plans for July 4th were, and I said 'grading'. 😊 I usually try giving tests a week before or after holidays so students can enjoy holiday weekends, and that means  I'm either grading or making tests during holiday weekends. 

Hurricane Elsa, the first hurricane of the season is heading this way. I hope it will be  a weak tropical storm by the time it reaches Florida. 



Happy Fourth of July to my American friends! 🎆🎇

Take care all. Stay safe. 🌻🌻🌻


XXX

Nil


17 comments:

  1. Not foods I am familiar with. So interesting.
    Thanks so much for the kind words on my blog. They mean a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often wondered about fermented foods. Everyone says they are so delicious and so very good for you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, you harvested a moringa pod! How exciting! One of my moringa plants died over the winter; the other one seems to have survived - it lost all its leaves, but, new leaves are starting to grow. I hope I'll get a pod, too! Well done in trying out new recipes! I hope you get through the hurricane season without any major damage! Stay safe! Sorry you will be spending your holiday weekend grading papers! That's no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love South East Asian flavours! Pickles are a particular favourite of mine. What do you make with Moringa? Happy 4th of July x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The passion fruits are so pretty, almost too pretty to eat, like little balls of sunshine. I hope Elsa decides to skip land and stay out at sea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not tried any fermented foods but recently I see mention of them on lots of blogs, so maybe it is time to try them out.

    I hope that Elsa doesn't cause any damage. Stay safe xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those passion fruits look perfect. What a treat. Hope the grading goes well. I went swimming at the lake early, to beat the heat and the crowds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love al your cooking, wish I could taste some lol. Would you be so kind as to take a photo of the leaves on your moringa tree please? My friends have a few trees that we suspect are moringa but arent sure as there arent any pods like yours on them yet...thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bridget, I’ll send you photos of the leaves via Facebook messenger in a minute.

      Delete
  9. I am hoping Elsa spins herself out before making landfall.
    I will definitely be trying the daikon radish recipe. I really do like them. I also like kimchee, so making that is a possibility also. Thanks for posting the links!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your experiments in the kitchen do look tasty! I am sure your students always appreciate having their exams before a holiday. Hopefully Elsa will pass you by this week. Let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy 4th of July, Nil. I hope you will be safe from Elsa. I hope your grading goes by quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i make my own sauerkraut but am not a fan of kimchi. Both are good for our guts:) Hope you had a great 4th July.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stay safe, Nil. And belated happy 4th of July. X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Late holiday greetings, Nil and hopefully Elsa will not be much of an issue and will be downgraded. You have made some very interesting recipes this week, even if these are not ones I will be trying. I commend your inventiveness and willingness to try new things!

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻