Sunday, July 25, 2021

 



Tomorrow (Monday) is the last day of our summer semester, so I have been busy with grading. I plan to submit final grades by the end of Tuesday or early Wednesday so I have a short break before classes start again in August. 

The other day I repotted several indoor plants. Some corners of my living room don't get enough sunlight, so plants were not doing well. So I placed a piece of a shelf near the window and put all the indoor  plants there. 


Last week I took the frozen sourdough starter out, thawed and made flat bread using this recipe.


Using leftover dough, I made these nameless thingies. There's a spicy potato and onion mixture inside. 



Next I'm going to try sourdough pizza. 😀


I feel like I'm not very productive these days. I have a huge pile of passion fruits waiting for me to do something with it. I have already frozen several jars of passion fruit pulp, and have three bottles of juice in the fridge. I gave a bag full of fruits to a neighbor and he gave me a mango from his tree. He said I could pick the ones hanging over the fence. That's one of the best mangoes I've tasted. 


COVID cases are going up again in Florida. Though vaccinated people are not required to wear masks, I still wear one when I go out. I don't want to get even mild flu like symptoms if I can avoid it. 

Take care everyone. Stay safe. 🌻🌻🌻

XXX
Nil




22 comments:

  1. Such pretty fruits. You are very lucky to live where mangos will grow.
    The squirrels have successfully taken care of my apples so I have no fruit to worry about, but I am up tp my ears in green beans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I love green beans!
      I’m sorry to hear about your apples. Squirrels also eat my neighbor’s mangoes. I’m thinking of covering little mangoes before they can nibble.

      Delete
  2. I think that's very wise - you just don't know and it might be mild, it might be less so. Why take the risk. Not to mention potentially infecting others.
    I love mango and straight from the tree sounds amazing.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Joy. I think mangoes picked straight from the tree are much better than the the store bought ones.

      Delete
  3. That's a very short break between the summer semester and fall! You barely get a week off! I hope you plan to rest and relax during your break. Those potato filled sour dough things look good and I bet they taste great, too! I was going to try making sour dough, but, never did! Ooh, I wish I lived closer to you - I'd have offered you zucchini in exchange for some of your passion fruit! That mango looks delicious, too! Hope you have a great week off, Nil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a couple of failed sourdough experiments before getting this one right. 😊

      I too wish you lived closer so we can exchange stuff. 😁
      I think passion fruit should grow well in CA too. Maybe you can ask Mr. M to plant one for you. They grow very quickly.

      Delete
  4. I think you are wise to continue wearing a mask if it makes you feel more comfortable. Most people here appear to be doing the same. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here it’s very rare now. I think people are getting tired of pandemic restrictions.

      Delete
  5. Love the look of your nameless thingies, yum. Did you cook them in your air fryer? So many passionfruit!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been making lots of flatbreads lately but using red lentils. It's a cheap and easy recipe, just lentils soaked in water and spices/herbs added to personal taste.

    That's kind of your neighbour to give permission to pick the mangoes. I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I’m going to try lentil flatbread. Thank you for the idea, Eileen.

      Delete
  7. Glad you will have a break, if a short one, between semesters, Nil. It is disturbing to read about rising COVID cases in many areas and it so puzzles me why people refuse to get vaccinated when it's become relatively easier to do than when we did it last March. Although fully vaccinated also, I am remaining mask-less in public and hope that it does not become mandatory again in public places. I can understand your concerns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some people have concerns about the safety of the vaccine because it was developed so quickly.

      I’m doubly careful because I live alone. Usually friends help me when I’m sick, but if get even a mild case of COVID I don’t want them to be around me.

      Delete
    2. While there may be some truth in what you said about why some people refuse to get vaccinated, Nil, the fact is that recent news stories about some dying because they did not get vaccinated is even more disturbing. It's good to have friends to help out, but not in this case.

      Delete
  8. We are the same way with the masks, we wear one to avoid getting it even with the vaccine. That was very nice of your neighbor to gift you with the mango.I hope you enjoy your short break after Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda.
      I’m lucky to have quiet and friendly neighbors. 😊

      Delete
  9. Hi Nil, You are wise to wear your mask. I do, too. The number of breakthrough cases is flabbergasting. That mango sounds and looks luscious. I think you sound like you have been very productive. Your plants look so green and healthy. I need to go water my blue spruce trees. They were just transplanted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That mango! The nameless thingies look like a perfect lunch that you can eat while sitting in the garden. Maybe you could call them pizza samosas?
    Enjoy your short break. It is ok to be unproductive once in a while :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to read what you are up to Nil, and your flatbread looks great. I made sourdough loaves today and always have sourdough leftover, so flatbread is a good idea. Hope you can have a break to enjoy your self, although covid is still such a worry.Hard to believe people aren't wearing masks if the cases are increasing again. Trading produce is such a great idea.Our mango trees are starting to flower so the early Northern Territory ones will appear on the market in a couple of months, as it's warming up already. Take care and stay healthy, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nil,
    I haven't been wearing a mask, but I'm going to start again in public places. Your nameless potato filled dough sounds delicious as well as that beautiful mango. I hope you can enjoy your short break.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nil, haven't seen any updates from you; hope you are keeping well and just too busy to post. Bless

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻