Thursday, October 21, 2021

Trying Judee's Recipes 😊 🍲

 


Thank you very much for the birthday wishes and prayers for my mom, everyone. 😍  She had a wonderful day with my two sisters and the brother in law. I wish I could have been there. But I have missed 20 years worth of birthdays now. 


This week I tried 3 new recipes. All from Judee's Gluten Free A-Z  blog. 

The first recipe I tried was her Lazy Man/Woman's Lentil Dal. I often cook red lentils, so I always have it in the kitchen. Red lentils cooked in coconut milk is a very popular dish in Sri Lanka. So when I saw Judee's recipe that combines two types of lentils, I wanted try it. I also had a small package of brown lentils. I made a couple of small changes.  I didn't have onion powder, so I used fresh red onions. I also used chicken broth, because I didn't have any vegetable broth. I could have made some, but this recipe is called lazy man/woman's lentil dal. 😁

lazy man/woman's lentil dal

It was an extremely easy recipe to make in the Instant Pot. And really delicious. 

Judee suggested serving it with cardamom rice. Because I didn't have enough basmati rice and wasn't sure about mixing different types of white rice, I used long grain white rice. Initially I was a bit hesitant to use 6 pods of cardamom because I thought it would be too much for my taste. Then I decided to go with the recipe. I'm glad I did, because it wasn't overpowering at all. 



Today I made Judee's Italian Escarole Soup. This is another very easy recipe. Just 2 minutes in the pressure cooker! I had two big heads of escarole, so I cut up enough for 4 cups. Again, I used chicken broth and fresh onions. This is the first time I cooked escarole. Usually I use it in salads. I love the hint of bitterness. This is a lovely light soup. I don't mind adding more garlic next time. 😊 


Italian escarole soup

Thank you so much Judee! These recipes are already in my tried and true recipe folder. 😊 


Take care everyone. Stay safe. 🌹🌹🌹

XXX

Nil







13 comments:

  1. Glad your mother had a lovely birthday celebration with your sisters.
    That cardamom rice looks delicious! I haven't mixed lentils, like that, but, might try mixing them one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a quick look at Judee's blog and there are lots of interesting recipes, so thanks for the link. I will definitely be trying the easy lentil dal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you had a terrific birthday, Nil. Thank you for sharing these recipes with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Nil loved the glimpse into your very productive garden on your last post. I'm about to plant passion fruit on my back fence....no neighbours to worry about there......so I hope it does as well as yours. A Korean woman has moved in across the road from me, she's been sharing her delicious food with me......I tried some brown lentils with kidney beans.....I liked the taste and the different spices she uses, but am not keen on kidney beans. She also makes pinch which I've tried making, but hers is so much better. She also makes tofu, so I'm keen to try that too. It's interesting to eat my familiar foods cooked in different ways.
    Glad to hear your mum had a good birthday, and all is well there with your family, and with you too. Good you had a break in the garden to give you the energy to go back to marking. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it is hard being away from the family birthday festivities.
    I have sautéed escarole but never used it in a soup. I am going to be doing this now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nil,
    Wow! I'm so glad that you enjoyed all 3 recipes that you made from my blog, and thank you so much for sharing the links with your readers! I so appreciate it. Glad your mom enjoyed her birthday! It was a big one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to your mother! Judee's recipes are often very intriguing, and give me ideas, but like you, I usually fall back on non-vegan ingredients like your chicken stock.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am late in reading about your mother's birthday, Nil, and hope it was a very happy one for her! These recipes all look and sound so good. Lentils are a favorite and I will be making soup soon and may also add some escarole to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's wonderful, Nil. It's always fun to try new recipes. Happy Birthday to your mom. Sorry you had to miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just catching up Nil, have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely want to make some cardamom rice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Nil, I have been checking your blog for any new posts and finding none am hoping that you have just been too busy to post. That's OK and life happens and you have a job commitment and house responsibilities and the world has been crazy once again. I hope you did have a peaceful Christmas and hope that you and all of us will have a Happy New Year in time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haven't seen you here in a while, praying all is okay with you, Nil! We miss you, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻