Sunday, June 19, 2022

A Short Post from Sri Lanka

 


Hello everyone,


I hope you all are doing well. 

I've been in Sri Lanka for about three weeks now.  In the last post I mentioned the dire situation in Sri Lanka, and  it is getting worse. There are miles long lines for fuel, even when there's no fuel at stations. People are still waiting in line until the next delivery. This is not just for petrol and diesel. Most Sri Lankans use LP gas (liquified petroleum) for cooking. The last ship of LP gas came to the country two days ago, and no one knows when the next shipment arrives. The country doesn't have money for fuel (or anything else apparently), but politicians don't seem to care.

Soon there will be shortages of rice and other food as well. 

Schools have been closed, and some universities have suspended classes until further notice. 

People are angry and frustrated. I just hope there won't be any riots.



I went out only twice. Once to visit sister S, and another time to a bookshop. 


Though there's nothing good to say about the situation of the country, so far my family is doing OK.  Sister S and brother in law are working from home. Sister G will face transportation problems very soon if the fuel shortage continues, but that's already a common problem here.


Here's somewhat good news. 😊  Last December I started writing a Sinhala novel. It's a very simple love story, and I have been posting it daily in a Facebook group. After I posted the first episode, a publisher invited me to turn it into a book. So, my very first novel will be published in May 2023. 😁


I teach two fully-online classes. So far I've managed to have office hours as scheduled though there are daily power cuts.


Would you like to see Mom's backyard? Here are some photos. 😊

Jackfruit.

Banana.

Long beans.

Hummingbird tree (Sesbania grandiflora) aka kathurumurunga

I'll be back again soon. With more positive news, hopefully.


Take care, everyone. Stay safe. 🌻🌻🌻


XXX


Nil

20 comments:

  1. It all sounds very difficult, and that's an understatement. Thanks for putting us in the picture. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see this post from you, Nil. I had been wondering if you went home and how things are with you and your family. I'm glad your family is doing OK, so far. Congratulations on having a book due for publication! How wonderful! Hope you have a wonderful rest of the summer. No matter how hard things get, it is good to be home with your mother and sisters, I think. Tell them I said ayubowan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nil, good news about the book. I have been wondering how your family was faring as I saw the situation on the news. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nil! Stay safe! Thanks for the update. And I enjoyed seeing your mom's gardens. Congrats on your novel!!! Prayers for you and your family and their country! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nil, I'm so happy to see a post from you but I am sorry about the dire situation in Sri Lanka. I hope your family continues to fair ok and things improve for everyone. Congrats on your upcoming novel- so exciting! and thanks for the backyard tour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that the situation will improve soon in Sri Lanka. I've been reading about it in the news but it is hard to imagine how difficult life really must be if you are living/visiting the country. Excellent news about your book! Congratulations x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think about you and your family each time I read about the situation in Sri Lanka. What wonderful news about your book. I look forward to reading more about it. Please take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! Thank you for bringing attention to this dire situation. I pray you and your family stay safe and healthy. Congratulations on your novel!!!!! How exciting for you! Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so sad to hear about the difficulties in Sri Lanka. Like you, I hope there aren't riots, and I hope the situation improves soon. I am praying for the people of Sri Lanka.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nil this is the first post of yours that's come to my email for quite a while. I thought you might've stopped blogging, so glad to hear your news, although it's not all good for your home country. I had been thinking about you,wondering how things were there, as we've had some asylum seekers arriving by boat here. Congratulations on your book. Thanks for the links to donate, as you might remember, I spent some time there after the tsunami, doing volunteer work, so Sri Lanka no are close to my heart. I'm glad you can be there with your family, but stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sorry to hear this Nil. how difficult it must be. love your mum's productive backyard tho.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh yes and congrats on the book deal! marvellous stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI Nil, thanks for the update. Hoping you can all stay safe at such a difficult time. Congratulations on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the book deal, Nil, that is so exciting! The fuel situation in Sri Lanka must be frightening for so many families who need it for transportation and for cooking. Thank you for the pictures from your mother’s backyard. They are beautiful and her jackfruit is so big. It’s great to see you back posting. I’ve missed you and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As nice as it was to find a new post from you, Nil, the news was not good but I know you are glad to be able to be with your family during these very difficult times, which seem so dreadful just in reading your post. I am glad that you and your family are safe and hope it continues that way. Best of luck to you on the upcoming book publication at least there is some cheerful news for you to share with family and fellow bloggers. Your mom's garden looks very productive. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and thank you for taking time to comment on a recent post, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blessings to you and your family Nil~ Also, congrats on the book: How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Nil, I'm so sorry that the situation is so dire. The basics are so important in life. I hope you and your family have enough food and water, and that the petrol arrives soon. Congratulations on the book offer. How exciting! Hope you have a safe return trip.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The situation in Sri Lanka is a real concern. I hope your family gets through ok

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi...my first comment here, although I have been reading on and off for a while, and wondering how you are doing. I have been following the situation in Sri Lanka, and hope that you and your family are safe and able to get the supplies that you need. What a situation! Congratulations on your book offer, and I enjoyed the pictures of your mother's back yard.

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻