After spending 5 weeks with my family, I'm back in Florida. Actually, I came back in early July and got busy with finishing summer semester and preparing for fall semester.
I had a huge staghorn fern hanging from an oak tree. Its chain broke, and I don't know how to get it up again because it's very heavy. So, for now it's just lying under the oak tree.
When I came back in July, I was surprised to see two lemons! (I think they are lemons, because it didn't have a name tag when I bought it from the discount shelf.) 😀
And a pineapple, and lots of passion fruits.
I added a statue of St. Francis of Assisi to the front yard. It was on sale at Ross for $9.99 because it had a broken nose. I fixed it and gave a coat of white paint.
Last night during weekly video call with my family, I got really annoyed with my sister. She thinks I'm too thin and constantly asks me to eat more, consult a doctor etc. No matter how many times I've told her that my doctor has no problem with my weight, she doesn't listen. So yesterday when she brought that up again, I hung up. I didn't even get to see Mom, because as soon as Sister saw me, she wanted me to see a different doctor for a second opinion. I was in a very happy mood until that video call. Then I felt guilty for hanging up. Sigh. 😢
I think I'm going to crochet something new, so I can return to my happy mood.
Take care everyone. Stay safe.
XXX
Nil





I am glad you had the weeks to spend with your family.
ReplyDeleteI have a sister also who would only say something to me if she was truly concerned. Though the two of you may disagree about your weight, hopefully it is only coming from a place of love and caring. I am secretly so envious___no one has ever told me I was too thin.
I always am happy to see you have posted and read your blog. I was sorry to read about your video call. You always seem to me to be eating healthily, and I just tried the plum cake that you recommended recently. Perhaps you can find a way to get your sister to ease off on the weight comments. I’m not sure how exactly. Perhaps others will have good ideas. Too bad that you missed talking to your mum. Can you video link when your sister is out? I do like your blog. I’m always impressed with how well you do in life, and how interesting your life is. I like the statue renovation. I like your recipes. Sending supportive happy thoughts. Jean/Winnipeg
ReplyDeleteI don’t usually comment. I wanted to let you know that i have three younger sisters. The one next to me has always acted as the oldest. She gives advice and tells her opinion wether i ask or not. (I rarely ask.) Sometimes she even gives it to strangers. I finally told her what i thought of her, for a change. It has cooled our relationship but we still speak. Maybe your sister will finally see that you do a fine job of just being you!
ReplyDeleteDebbie
Welcome back home, Nil, and I hope you had a good visit with your family in Sri Lanka despite getting mad at your sister during that video call. You have been missed in blog land.
ReplyDeleteHi! Glad you are back and that you and your family back home are safe. Your yard is giving you some nice fruits! I'm curious to see your lemons (or whatever they are) when they are ready to pick. I like your statue, and you did a good job painting it. As far as family, I've learned that if you are close enough to family to get mad at each other, that means you are close! What I mean is, if you didn't have a close bond, you wouldn't ever get mad. Otherwise, it's normal. Andrea
ReplyDeleteLovely to see you posting again, Nil. I had been wondering how you are doing. Yes, those do look like lemons! And what a perfectly ripe pineapple! Look at all those passionfruits! I bought a vine and planted it, in a pot, last year and it bore 9 fruits! I was so excited! :D I'm sorry you were annoyed by your sister and couldn't get to see your mother due to it. Hope the new crochet project will restore your pleasant mood and you can video chat with your mother another time. How is the book publishing coming along?
ReplyDeleteThe fruit looks absolutely amazing!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about the shortened video chat but totally understand why. I hope you can chat with your mum soon, without unwanted 'advice' from anyone else. xx
Welcome back to this lovely space of yours. I hope you had a good time in Sri Lanka. Family can be difficult. Maybe your sister will reflect on the aborted video call and change how she speaks to you. Yes, she is probably talking out of concern but that should not be at the cost of causing you stress and she should also accept that you are happy with your body, and your doctor is, too. Wishing you a lovely few days xx
ReplyDeleteHello! Sorry about your sister. I have a couple like that too! Loved seeing and hearing about all your fruit! Happy to see a post from you. : )
ReplyDeleteIt is nice to see you posting once again. I have been wondering how things were with you and your family. Sister relationships are always complicated, aren't they?
ReplyDeleteHi Nil, I’m so glad you made it home safe and sound. I was concerned about what was going on in Sri Lanka. How neat that you came home to two lemons and a pineapple. The view from there is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteHi Nil, the garden is looking lovely. I hope you can negotiate boundaries with your sister, because it is upsetting when family life is difficult.
ReplyDeleteYour fruit trees and plants look marvelous -- how nice to grow those things yourself. Your family's situation sounds very stressful -- there are so many trouble-spots in the world that I was not even aware of issues in Sri Lanka. I wish them and you well.
ReplyDeleteDoes your sister have issues about her own weight? Maybe she's just looking for your comments about herself.
best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com
Glad you are back safely from your trip to see family. It sounds like your sister is concerned about you and has your best interests at heart. Perhaps you could thank her and ask her to trust you that you are taking good care of yourself and to trust your doctor and decisions. Let her know that you appreciate her concern and will ask her if you need assistance- otherwise you would appreciate it if she does not bring it up unless you ask her .
ReplyDeleteIt is nice to see you posting once again, I think I lost track of your blog while you were away and I was trying to clean up my Feedly app. Thanks for coming around to mine so I could remedy that omission. I am the middle of 3 sisters, so I can relate to your situation. In a little time, hopefully the tension will all blow over.
ReplyDeleteGood for you. That sounds very frustrating. I hope she stops. Your fruit all looks amazing, especially that bright yellow pineapple. Wow! Happy crocheting. I think it's hard not to get into conflicts with some people these days. She needs some boundaries.
ReplyDeleteIt's so good to see you back, Nil. Great job with the statue. Xx
ReplyDelete