Once in a while, we all need a break from everyday tasks. I have learned that I don't have to spend a lot of money to have fun.
When I need to relax I often read a book, or watch Netflix.
I rarely watch tv. When I do, the only channel I watch is PBS. Their
website is a treasure trove of wonderful shows, most are free for a limited time. I don't have cable tv, and pay $10.69/month for Netflix. I love watching documentaries and dramas like Father Brown. Sometimes I borrow movies from the library. When a movie I want to watch comes to the theatre, most of the time I wait until its DVD is released, so I can watch it at home.
 |
| Local public library has a good collection of DVDs. |
I like inviting friends for a home cooked meal, but occasionally I go out with friends. Once a year my colleagues and I have lunch at a restaurant. I go out with friends once a month or so. I like trying different food from around the world, so I tend to go to ethnic restaurants. Because I don't eat out often, I find these occasional outings more enjoyable.
 |
| Lebanese food |
Another frugal entertainment is going to a nearby park for a picnic. I like finding not so popular parks in the area. These are less crowded and therefore more peaceful. State parks have free access, I only need a picnic basket full of homemade goodies and the company of good friends to have a wonderful time.
The town I live has several museums and an art center. They frequently have exhibitions and offer reduced ticket prices at certain times.
Another thing I do for fun is going to used book stores, thrift stores and yard sales. Most days I don't buy anything, I just like browsing. 😄
So, these are my entertainment activities outside the home. Most happen to be frugal because I don't like crowds and loud noises. So I don't find popular entertainment activities such as attending games, theme parks, clubbing attractive.
What are your entertainment ideas that happened to be frugal?
I'm not great in big crowds either. As I only go out every few weeks with different friends I also thoroughly enjoy it and look forward to it too.
ReplyDeleteEvery Saturday night we have family movie night. We either borrow a DVD from the library or let the kids choose a section from their old baby videos. These have been great to watch.
Going for a walk through parks and around lakes with a friend is good on so many levels.
Cooking with the kids, colouring in with my daughter, crafts at home.
Going to markets together, great atmosphere and we usually find a good walking track as well.
Kylie
Nil I don't go out to movies or the theatre etc. but I don't mind catching up with friends for coffee especially now that I have retired. When the children were growing uo we used to go to parks a lot which was free of course and they had the best time. Our city has lots of parks with playgrounds which can be used year round because our winters are mild.
ReplyDeleteI also love Father Brown, wait for movies on dvd. A stroll along the beach is refreshing and that's about it. Forgot read too many novels.
ReplyDelete