Friday, May 26, 2017

Peer Pressure and Simple Living

Sometimes I think that trying to live simply in a society where consumerism is valued is not an easy task. It is like trying to swim upstream.

We are supposed to have the latest smartphone, a car, a big house to show everyone that we are successful, or because we 'deserve' these things because we work so hard. We are expected to go out every weekend to have fun and relax because we work long hours during the week. I like this quote by Ellen Goodman.

"Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work, driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for, in order to get to a job that you need so you can pay for the clothes, car and the house that you leave empty all day in order to afford to live in it."
 
I didn't want this 'normal' life. I didn't want my life to control me, I wanted to have control in my life. I wanted a career that would bring me satisfaction, but I didn't want it to be my entire life. For me, the only way to achieve this was to lead a simple life where there are less wants, more content and a slower pace.

The freedom that comes with a debt free life is really important to me. Living simply has allowed me to choose the career I love. It allows me to help my family, save for my future, and travel to interesting places.

When I was a student, and while on a temporary job I didn't have a car. I had a landline phone, and a prepaid mobile phone for emergencies. During this time I knew that some thought I was too stingy. "Why don't you buy an iPhone? It's cheaper if you get a 2 year contract." some said. I heard similar comments about buying a car too. Not having a car was not easy. I used the school shuttle and the city bus, so I had to depend on the not so convenient bus schedule.  I lived close to the university and a grocery store. Because I only had my backpack to carry things, I was mindful of that when I was at a store, which helped me to buy only the necessary things. I didn't want to buy a car at that time because I didn't want the added responsibility and expenses and also I didn't want one until I have a reliable job. Because I lived a frugal life, and didn't have a car payment or any other consumer debt I was able to afford an apartment by myself. When I started my current job, I had saved enough to buy a car without a loan.

Though I have close friends - some friendships are 20+ years old - I consider myself an introvert. I like spending time at home, especially on weekends. I do not go out frequently. I like inviting friends for a meal, and go to restaurants only occasionally. Having a circle of close friends is important to me, but I do not want to sacrifice every weekend to maintain a social life. Because I like staying home, and mainly because some assumed that I didn't have much to do as a single person, I was expected to baby sit quite often. Needless to say those friendships didn't last long.
My apartments were furnished with used furniture and other thrift store finds.
When I decided to buy a house, I didn't want to be a slave for a huge mortgage. A smaller mortgage means a smaller and older house. Again I felt the pressure to buy a nicer house in a 'good' neighborhood. Some couldn't understand why I wanted to buy a house that needed sprucing up.

Cooking from scratch, making bread and jam, making laundry detergent, deodorant at home take time. I have been asked why not buy these from the store and save time, because it doesn't really sound like simple living if you spend all that time making things.

Not only my simple living, but being single has been an issue with some, especially with well meaning relatives. When they say that I would need someone to take care of me (a husband? children?) when I'm old and  therefore I must get married, I jokingly say that anyone can pitch in for my retirement fund.

At the beginning I tried explaining my way of living, and to be honest I felt annoyed when my choices were questioned.  After a while I realized that there was no need to justify the way I live. I learned to say no when it is needed. Now I value my time more and worry less about what others think of me. Still, at times I wonder - why do people rush to judge when someone chooses a different path?

11 comments:

  1. I am sitting here and feel right at home. I'm nodding my head as I read and thinking yes, I know exactly where you are coming from.
    I'm very similar on the social front. I have a few very close and special friends and we try to touch base once a week. I'm not great in large groups and really just love being home. I'd rather a small group of special friends who mean a lot to me.
    We made the choice to purchase our home well under our budget. This is our first home and we've been here for 20 years and love it. I wouldn't change any of it. We also chose not to borrow money for cars therefore have only purchased cars we could afford. We can now live debt free and just be so, so happy at home doing the things we love. Veggie garden, chickens, cooking, family, friends.
    I can always remember one comment. Everyone around us were building or purchasing big homes. Someone then said to me 'so, when are you upgrading?' I was speechless. We love our home. It's ours too.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started looking for a house, real estate agents suggested buying a 'starter' home and then upgrading after 5 years or so. I already love my home with its little backyard and have no plans for another house. :)

      Delete
  2. Nil, you've written such a beautiful description of your lifestyle, and it's too bad that some have questioned your choices. Like Kylie, I've had a few comments I didn't understand, but the, "So when are you upgrading?" tops them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and let me add that often people who tease my husband and me are in debt, too (yes, we're in debt), but debt doesn't sit well with us, and we are determined to pay off our loans. I guess others are strangely comfortable owing money, but we're not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with paying off your loans Priscilla.
      I'm making a plan to pay off my mortgage as soon as possible. My goal is to have no mortgage by the time I retire. The sooner the better.

      Delete
  4. I love this post. I often wonder why people care so much about what other people do. My choices really have nothing to do with anyone but me and my family. I guess they would say they say things because they care about you, but it very rarely feels that way when you hear their comments. Good for you for following the path you feel is best for you! Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nil, When I read the title of your post, I couldn't believe it. I was just thinking of writing about the same subject. Your home looks lovely. I prefer older homes because of their charm and character. I laughed when you mentioned people expected you to babysit! I can relate to all that you are saying, and I admire your discipline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephenie, I'd love to read your thoughts on this topic. Please write a post, we all can learn from each other's experience.

      Delete
  6. I agree with your sentiments and I love the photo of your living room with it's comfortable furniture and furnishings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robyn. I'm sorry for the very late reply, somehow I missed your comment until today.

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻