Sunday, May 14, 2017

Handmade Home Décor

I love handmade home décor. I use worn out clothes to make rag rugs, patchwork bags and other useful items for my home. Most paintings I have at home are thrift store finds and some are painted by me.
Sometimes friends give me their old clothes. Last year I made a rug for my bedroom using t-shirts. I cut up t-shirts in to stripes and braided three strips together. Then I hand stitched them together to make an oval shape rug. I added a nonslip backing because without it the rug used to slide on the tiled floor. It was not very safe.
I made this rag rug from t-shirts.
I also made small table mats from left over braids.
Table mats.
I wanted to have a small blanket on my sofa to keep my legs warm, so I made one using old shirts. One had a print of large flowers, and there were two solid yellow ones. I added a yellow bias tape around. I don't know how to do quilting properly, and this is the first large item I made. It is 4 feet x 4 feet blanket.


This is the book bag I made using old jeans. It's lined and has a zippered pocket and an open pocket inside.


I dressed up my old sofa with two cushion covers decorated with fabric painting.
I used fabric paint to draw these flowers.
Once I saw a beautiful wreath in a catalog and the price was $90. And it was on sale! I didn't want to spend that much money on a wreath, so I made one with  several artificial flowers and a small $2.50 wreath. Of course mine is not as beautiful as the $90 wreath, but I think it looks cute. 😊



These are holders made from biscuit tins and magazine pages. I keep pens, pencils and other items in these to keep  my desk tidy.


This clock has a bamboo frame, a hardboard backing and numbers made of baked play dough.

Bamboo clock.

A lot of these crafts take more time than buying something from the store. However I like making things not because I spend less, but mainly because it makes me happy to create something from discarded items. Upcycling is a great way to reduce waste. And I think these are unique with my own color schemes and patterns, and imperfections.

6 comments:

  1. Nil, all those items are just fantastic and a great way to reuse T-shirts etc. Your rug is so colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your work is so beautiful, Nil! My favorites are the bag and the blanket. You really have your own style. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing. Not only are they beautiful and unique they also add so much character to your home. Each has a story and they were all made by you.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your handmade items are interesting, useful and creative. My favourite is the clock with the numbers sourced from around the world :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. what could be more satisfying than being surrounded by household items you have made yourself? I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those hand painted pillows and rugs! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻