My monthly bills include mortgage, electricity, water, internet, mobile phone and Netflix subscription. These are more or less the same each month, so I consider them as fixed expenses.
I have enrolled in direct pay from my checking account to pay all bills. I receive an email reminder before the scheduled date and a confirmation email after the amount is paid. I like this method mainly because there are no overdue bills and it also saves postage fee and envelopes. Even when I'm away from home, my bills are paid automatically. The only thing I have to do is to make sure that the checking account has sufficient funds to cover all bills.
A couple of months ago I contacted my mortgage provider and set up a bi-weekly payment plan. I made sure that there are no additional fees because I've heard that some banks charge extra for such plans. Because there are 52 weeks per year, in a bi-weekly plan there are 26 half payments which means 13 full mortgage payments in 12 months. This means each year I pay one additional mortgage payment. This is one advantage of the bi-weekly mortgage payment plan. The second advantage is, if the half payment is immediately applied, it can lower the principal a bit faster. This doesn't apply to me as my bank waits until the full monthly payment is received before applying it to the mortgage. In theory, I could send one additional monthly payment each year without using a bi-weekly plan. However, this way it is taken care of automatically without having to remember additional payments.
I want to pay off my mortgage as quickly as possible, so this is one painless way to do it.
| My goal is to pay off the mortgage early. The sooner the better. |
For other expenses such as gas and groceries I use a credit card. For security reasons, I have set up notifications on my credit card account so it sends me a text each time the card is used. I pay my credit card fully each month, and it is also paid automatically.
I have read about the cash envelope system as a way to control monthly expenses. I have never tried it as I always use credit cards. Though I do have a set amount for groceries, sometimes I spend a bit more than the budgeted amount. I have never thought too much about it because I rarely spend more than I earn unless it is an emergency. When my regular income starts again in a couple of months I'd like to use cash for groceries and see how it goes. Hopefully using cash will reduce my grocery expenses further. Plus, I enjoy new ways of saving money , so I will share details when I start my cash envelope system.
I used to think EVERYone should use a credit card and simply pay it off each month. Then I met a gentleman who can't keep track of spending without seeing the cash. For example, I know I have 130 dollars to spend for groceries tomorrow. I won't go over, and I'll use a credit card. But this gentleman not only doesn't know how much he has to spend, but also doesn't have an idea of how much is going into the grocery cart as he shops. He's a very smart man, but his brain simply doesn't work that way. He NEEDS to see the cash to make the connection.
ReplyDeleteI'm interested to read how your cash system works for you. Please keep us posted!