Saturday, October 7, 2017

Frugal Activites and Expenses in The First Week of October

The first week of October is almost over. And it's a frugal week. I went to two different stores this week and bought groceries. I spent $66.81 from the $150 grocery budget. I didn't have to buy organic greens for my morning juice this week because I have been using kale, basil and curry leaves from the garden. I also picked lettuce for salads and spinach for omelets.  


Bib lettuce.
Greens are doing quite well, but several tomato plants died. Perhaps I didn't add enough compost to soil, because the ones in pots are fine. The soil is very sandy here and I don't have enough homemade compost yet. So I went to the garden center and bought two bags of potting soil for $12.94. Buying potting soil is expensive, but until I make enough compost I have to use store bought soil.  On the way home I stopped at a thrift store. They had 50% off sale, so I bought a plastic bucket and several pieces of fabric. The total cost was $3.33. I can use the bucket as a planter, after drilling holes for drainage.

Bitter gourd vines.
This month I want to reduce water and electric bills. The last two electric bills were too high. The weather is slightly cooler, but sometimes I still use the AC. Yesterday I did laundry and dried using a cloth rack.
I keep a container in the kitchen to collect discarded water. After steaming vegetables or boiling eggs or washing vegetables, I add the water into the container. Later in the evening I use it to water plants.

This will water ornamental plants near the front door.

I keep bills in several manila folders and needed a box to keep them together. So I made one using an empty cereal box. The map is a free one came in the mail, and it was the perfect size to cover the box.

I cut the top of the cereal box at an angle and cover it with the map.


Now all folders are neatly arranged in the box.

So far this month I am on track sticking to the budget. I hope next three weeks will be the same. 😊
Next week I have to get my car serviced. I'm not going to the dealer this time and will take the car to the nearest service place. I found online coupons for two brands of synthetic oil, and hopefully it will save some money.

When the sun goes down I will water plants and sow parsley and radish seeds in pots. It's still too sunny outside.

Three visitors in the backyard.

I hope you all are having a great weekend.


XX
Nil

18 comments:

  1. You are so good with your money. I plant a lot of things in homemade compost, too. Maybe some of your neighbors will give you their leaves for your compost pile. That's what I did when I first moved here. I also have a neighbor who lets me have free manure. It really helps with growing vegetables. Love the way that map looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I collect dry leaves using a rake and add to the compost pile. I will see if a neighbor can give me their leaves. I wish there was someone nearby with cows or chickens. :)

      Delete
  2. Nil isn't it great when you can use what is growing in the garden? In Australia electricity bills have gone through the roof and people are complaining. Some older people have been going without heating to lower their bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Chel it's the best feeling. I love to pick leaves and tend to my plants in the morning.
      It's sad to hear how people suffer because of high utility prices. In my area heat is the problem. Especially older people and children can suffer from heat strokes if there is no AC.

      Delete
  3. I am very careful with water, gas and electricity, I can't think of anything else to do to save it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have room to improve. :) Though I know what I should do to save water and electricity, sometimes I don't follow through.
      But you are right. Once you do everything possible, you reach the limit.

      Delete
  4. Love what you did with the cereal box Nil. The water you’re saving from steaming veggies etc. I’m guessing would be even better than plain water. Not sure if it works that way. I’m also noticing how well the greens are doing here and I don’t need to purchase any at all. Between using the leaves from cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage as well as kale, chives and parsley we have ample for us and the chickens. I also give Mum and Dad eggs and laundry liquid and usually come home with cuttings from their herbs.
    You are doing so well and I’m a true believer that every bit helps. It all adds up.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the other day I was thinking how good the broccoli leaves look, and wondering if it would hinder the growth if I picked leaves.
      Do you wait until you harvest broccoli before using leaves?

      Delete
    2. I use the leaves before and after harvest. I only take one from each plant at a time. A bit from here and there. That way I’m not taking too many from the one plant.
      Kylie

      Delete
  5. Nil, glad your budget for the month is working out so far. I'm not surprised after hearing your garden, watering, and shopping strategies. Your blog is so inspiring, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Priscilla. :)
      I'm still learning about the best strategies to save money and live simply from books, blogs and forums. I get inspiration from all those and if I can inspire someoneelse along the way it makes me really happy.

      Delete
  6. Growing greens is such a great way to save money. Yours are looking really healthy! I have lettuce growing and self-seeding in my garden now but also planted some new seedlings yesterday to try to have a continuous supply over the warmer seasons. I grow my tomatoes in pots too, Nil. Some self seed in the garden but I have more success in pots. A tip I picked up is to plant the tomato seedling deeper down in the soil for a more robust plant. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Meg, I learned that tip very recently and planted these tomatoes that way. Still three out of four in the ground died, Hopefully tge other two will survive. :)

      Delete
  7. I love that your greens are doing so well. My greens didn't do well at all this year. Also, I have a friend who had a couple tomato plants in her front window that are two years old and still producing. She originally just brought them in "to get the last few tomatoes" before winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be so nice to have tomato plants that old and still produce. :)

      Delete
  8. Nil, I like the sound of your green juice in the morning, as I have all of those growing. Would you mind sharing what other ingredients you put in your green brekkie juice? Thanks, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pauline, I change the veggies depending on what I have, but always add the following:
    Chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, pomegranate juice, flaxseed oil, ginger.water
    With above, I have tried following combinations:
    celery, carrots, kale
    celery, green apples, kale or mixed greens
    Celery, beetroot, kale or mixed greens

    Basically I add whatever I have in the fridge and the yard. Fresh basil and ginger give a really nice flavor.
    I don't have specific quantities though.

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻