Sunday, October 1, 2017

Lentil Patties

This is one of my favorite snacks. Lentil patties, known as Vadei in Sri Lanka, is originally from South India and very popular among all ethnic groups in Sri Lanka.

I always use red lentil for this recipe. You can omit green chilies and red chili flakes, but I like when it's spicy. I use a blender to process lentils until it has a coarse consistency. Make sure to drain lentils well first, otherwise it will be too creamy to form into patty shapes.


Ingredients:
1.5 cups of red lentil
1 small onion chopped
1 thinly sliced green chili pepper
1 finely chopped sprig of curry leaves
A pinch of red chili flakes
Salt to taste
Coconut oil for deep frying


Soak red lentil overnight. Drain and process in a blender of a food processor.
Remove lentil to a bowl and add chopped onions, green chilies, red chili flakes, curry leaves and salt.
Take a tablespoon full of mixture and shape into a ball. Press to make a patty.
Heat coconut oil in medium heat. Place several patties in oil carefully, without overcrowding.
Fry until outside is golden brown. It should be crispy outside, and well cooked and soft inside.
Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel. Cook all patties in batches.


Processed lentil must be somewhat coarse in consistency.
Patties all ready for deep frying.
I fried 3 patties at once so it's not too crowded.
 lentil patties... yum





4 comments:

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻