Friday, October 13, 2017

Thrifty Kitchen Storage Unit

Several months ago, I decided to remove the broken dishwasher and use that space for storage. This kitchen has a shortage of storage space, so I try to use every inch possible. I prefer drawers or cupboards because they look neater than open shelves, and protect items from dust.

This is where I had the dishwasher.
A friend found a drawer unit discarded from an apartment complex remodeling project. It was the right height after cutting a small piece from the bottom, but it left a gap about 6 inches wide. I spent a couple of months looking for something that fits the gap. There are narrow pull-out shelving units made for small gaps like these, but they are mostly made of plastic. I wanted something sturdy.

Then I found a narrow wood cupboard at the Habitat for Humanity Restore. It was marked at $40 and I thought it was too expensive. So I waited a couple of weeks to see if they would reduce the price. It was a risk as these narrow units are hard to find and people snatch up good deals. Luckily no one wanted it and  it was marked down to $30. It didn't  need new paint and had a really good finish, so I bought it for $30. I forgot to take a photo before installing it. Then I painted the drawers white to match the narrow cupboard, and attached new knobs. The old knobs were too long and didn't let me open the drawer right next to it on the right hand side.

New storage unit
I am really happy that I have more storage space now. I keep my baking pans and racks in the narrow vertical cupboard and serving dishes in drawers. I used to keep baking pans in the oven and every time I bake, I had to remember to take things out before turning the oven on. Now I have a dedicated place for the pans. I spent less than $40 for the entire project. The most expensive piece is the narrow cupboard ($30). Knobs were $1 each and the rest was for paint.


15 comments:

  1. You are so clever Nil. Hard to believe they are the same thing. Looks like they’ve always belonged there.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great, you've done such a good job. What a lucky find. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. Yes, a big apartment complex left all their kitchen cabinets and cupboards at the dumpster, so it saved me some money. :)

      Delete
  3. It looks great, Nil. You are really resourceful being able to turn the cupboard you got into just what you wanted. Well done! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it looks great! And by shopping at the Habitat store you helped them out. Good all around.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Priscilla I love shopping at Habitat store and thrift stores. If I am patient enough I can find very good deals. :)

      Delete
  5. Great finds Nil. And they fit perfectly. My mom just stores her baking sheets etc. in her broken dishwasher and doesn't want to bother with a new cabinet- silly Mom :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady Locust, your mom must be thinking why bother to change when it works just fine for her. :)
      In my previous apartments I too used the dishwasher to store pots and pans.

      Delete
  6. Well done, Nil. What a great match. It is amazing what a coat of paint and new knobs can do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks terrific, Nil. I don't have a dishwasher, either. My washing machine is in the kitchen. You made great use of the space. I love old houses. They are perfect for simple living.

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻