Last week I had no expenses. It's a totally different story this week. Finally I was able to make an appointment to get my car serviced, so it was done this Friday. I also filled up the car. I really don't enjoy all the expenses that come with the car ownership, but it is a necessity here because we don't have a good public transportation system.
Today I went to three stores - a grocery store, BJ's (a big warehouse store) and an Indian store. On the way to the stores I saw a roadside sign about a plant sale. So I stopped there and bought two purple Ruellia plants for $1 each. I already have one bought from Home Depot and I think I paid around $4.50 at that time, so $1 per plant is a really good deal. I want to plant them in the front yard because it's very sunny and Ruellia thrives in full sun.
According to my grocery budget, I had $83.19 for groceries. But I spent way over that. I bought things that I really don't need, such as two tubs of fresh oysters, organic Neapolitan ice cream, and a mung bean snack. At BJ's I bought items enough for several months, mainly for my stockpile. I bought a 10 lb. bag of brown rice for 13.99 from the Indian store. Once I adjusted the cost for monthly quantities, still the total came to $104.38.
So my expenses are:
car maintenance - $10.34 (the total is $62.05, but I only do this every 6 months)
gas - $15.01
groceries - $104.38 ( $21.19 over budget this month)
flowers - $ 2.00
I didn't buy any greens. Yesterday I picked several types of greens from the yard and cooked it with butternut squash.
| Malabar spinach, kale, broccoli leaves, lettuce, curry leaves, basil and rosemary. |
Though I overspent on groceries, I still have money left in the "Other" category. So I'm still on track living on 50% of the income challenge. I hope the next week will be a no spend week. 😊
Hope you all are having a great weekend.
XX
Nil
That's fantastic, Nil! Your greens look beautiful. I'm glad your bought yourself some treats at the grocery store. You deserve it. I am always amazed at how little you spend. You are such an inspiration with your budget and self discipline.
ReplyDeleteThanks Stephanie. What really motivates me is paying off the mortgage early. So every bit I can save will help me to be mortgage free sooner.
DeleteGood on you, Nil. You are doing well. It will all be worth it in the long run.
ReplyDeleteThank you Chel. I hope so. I want to pay off my mortgage as soon as possible. :)
DeleteI agree with Stephanie in that I’m glad you treated yourself a little. We need that from time to time. Well done.
ReplyDeleteKylie
Thanks Kylie. :)
DeleteYou've done great. I have some car expenses coming up next week. Like you, I find it a necessity because of where I live. X
ReplyDeleteThanks Jules. I wish we had a good transportation system here.
DeleteWish I had the gumption to reduce my spending, though will admit I am mainly buying more needs than wants. My car service is closer to $400 each year, going elsewhere doesn't make much difference in price. The greens look great
ReplyDeleteWow, Deb that's really expensive.
DeleteCar maintenance, I don't like the expense, either, but I figure it's better to take care of little maintenance issues than ignore them and let them become big, expensive issues. As always, your greens look SO delicious and SO healthy! I'm cheering you on to finish out the month at 50 percent of your income, go Nil!
ReplyDeleteThank you Priscilla. You are so right. It's better to take care of little things right away. I used to get the car serviced every 4 months, but the dealer told me it's not necessary because I drive very little. So now I get it done every 6 months.
DeleteCars are expensive, no doubt about that! Though servicing your car and maintaining it well will save you money in the long run. Great bargain on your plants too! Meg:)
ReplyDeleteThanks Meg. :)
DeleteYes, unfortunately a car is an expensive necessity here.
Way to go Nil. Nice that you are still on track. Only one more week and you'll have this success under your belt.. Then on to the next 😊
ReplyDelete