Sunday, April 29, 2018

Frugal April

It's almost the end of April. As usual, I added monthly expenses and was happy to see that April's total is $236.50 less than the February expenses. It should have been even less if I hadn't had a couple of restaurant meals. But it came from my fun budget and I had a fantastic time with friends. So I have no regrets. :) Overall I spent 55% of my take home income. So far April is the most frugal month in 2018.

* April gardening budget is zero. I swapped curry plants for katuk, fig, cardamom and several ornamental flowers.
* Water bill went down by almost $5 due to several rainy days. I also used water leftover after washing vegetables for ornamental plants.
* Made meals at home (except two restaurant meals) and took lunches to work every day.
* Made a batch of granola, gluten free bread and a chocolate pound cake. I put a half of the cake in the freezer.
* Used clothes racks to dry all clothes except bed sheets and towels.
* Lubbers have destroyed almost all kale, so I had to buy kale for my morning juice. I bought a 4lb package of frozen organic kale and spinach, without buying fresh greens. It's cheaper than buying fresh greens that goes bad very quickly.
* Paid $250 toward the mortgage principal.



I have been reading Mr. Money Mustache blog and the forum  to learn more about saving and investing.   At this point, I really don't plan for an early retirement. I started my career pretty late, so I have a lot to catch up in terms of retirement savings. And I love what I do. But it would be great to be financially independent one day.
I am also reading Smart Couples Finish Rich by David Bach. I read his Automatic Millionaire just after I started my career and made all my savings automatic. I have read several of his books, but initially thought Smart Couples Finish Rich wouldn't be relevant for me. Perhaps I will learn new tips, you never know.

There are several specific expenses in May. I have to get the car serviced, and I also like to buy a good handbag for mom and small gifts for my niece and nephews. After next week's pay check, I won't get paid until August, so I have to be very frugal. I look forward to seeing mom and sisters very soon.


How was your April?


XX


Nil

20 comments:

  1. Nice work Nil. A 55% savings rate is very impressive. I love reading Mr Money Mustache - pretty inspiring and definitely makes you think. I haven't read any of David Bach's books - I must check them out.
    I aspire more for financial independence than early retirement. I think having the financial security to choose what I want to use my time on is the ultimate for me - that may or may not be something work related but with FI it's a choice either way.
    Cheers,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura.
      Yes, I agree. FI doesn't mean stop working. Like you I also want the financial security and the freedom that comes with it. :)

      Delete
  2. So you only get paid quarterly? phew that must be very difficult to manage. it must be great for the employer who gets to keep their money for so long before having to pay you. i don't think that happens here in australia. cheers Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Sherry, I get paid bi-weekly. But I have a 9 month contract and I choose not to work in the summer.

      Delete
  3. You're doing so well, Nil. A month where you've only spent 55% of your take home pay is a really good one! Making your meals and lunches from home really saves a lot, chocolate pound cake sounds scrumptious. I made a large chocolate pudding last Saturday and we are still eating leftovers even after we took it for dessert for a shared dinner with friends! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meg.
      I don't make cakes often and when I do I freeze some. So months later when I find a bag of frozen cakes in the freezer it feels awesome. :D

      Delete
  4. You have such discipline to freeze half a cake. I think my husband and I would have finished off the whole thing in a couple of days . . . which is exactly why I don't bake cakes anymore! Congrats on having such a frugal April! Yay for an extra mortgage payment and a high savings rate.

    We've been very good about our personal spending in April. My husband only spent money on his haircut and an inexpensive domain name. I spent money on my haircut and a small craft project. We entertained ourselves with romantic walks and library books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Priscilla.
      One reason for freezing a portion of the cake is to discourage myself. Otherwise I could eat everything in a week. :)

      Delete
  5. I really enjoy your updates on your budgeting and how you organise your spending and savings. It's lovely you'll get to see your family again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nanette. Mom is already planning things to do while I'm there. :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Nil, Congratulations on your finances. I am always so impressed with your totals. I have read David Bach's books, too. He is excellent. It's wonderful that you love what you do. I think that is the key to financial stability. I love working as a writer, too. I plan to continue for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie.
      Have you read "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" by Burton Malkiel? I recently learned that it's a really good book. It's going to be my next book to read if the library has a copy. :)

      Delete
  7. Great stuff Nil. I hope you enjoy your summer break.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nil, you are doing great spending $236.50 less than the February expenses and only spending 55% of your take home pay. That is wonderful! I agree on buying frozen greens verses fresh as they can turn quickly. I also enjoy reading the Mr. Money Mustache blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belinda.
      I just recently started reading Mr. Money Mustache blog and the forum. There are really good ideas there.

      Delete
  9. Living on 55% of your take home pay is excellent, Nil! I know you worked hard to achieve that. I hope you continue to do as well, every month!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I just hopped over to your blog (from another blog) and I am enjoying reading. I have to say, I clicked on your first post, your cake-decorating one...and boy your cakes look great (and delicious!) Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea. I made those cakes when I was taking Wilton cake decorating classes. 😊

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻