As I mentioned in a previous post, I try my best to keep gardening expenses low. In that regard, the last couple of weeks were very successful. I received free plants and found several great deals at yard sales.
I am a member of a regional gardening Facebook page. Members share not only their gardening knowledge, but also extra seeds and cuttings. Recently I swapped a curry leaf plant for a bunch of cardamom plants. The kind lady also gave me fig cuttings and a huge lemon from her tree.
| Cardamom |
I found a YouTube video about propagating fig cuttings and followed the method. This is how the cuttings looked at the beginning.
Two weeks later ...
They have roots and tiny leaves! I planted several in pots and kept a couple of cuttings in water to encourage more roots.
Another member gave me cuttings of katuk (Sauropus androgynous). I was so excited because I never thought I'd be able to find katuk here. My mom has katuk in her yard, and I love its greens. I kept one cutting in water and planted others in pots. After several days, the potted ones looked completely dead. I kept watering for a couple of weeks and now they are growing back.
| Katuk |
I gave extra cardamom plants and several lemongrass plants to a colleague and another member of the gardening group.
I rarely see plants at yard sales, but last Saturday I found two yard sales with plants. I bought milkweed (Asclepias) , blue porterweed (Stachytarpheta jamaicensis), Mexican petunia (Ruellia simplex ) and four o' clock (Mirabilis), all for less than $4. The lady at one yard sale gave me cuttings of Mexican Sunflower (Tithonia diversifolia ) for free. At one yard sale I bought a metal rack for $1.
| $1 rack and plants from yard sales. |
This plant stand was $5. It needs a good cleaning, and I think I will keep it in the front porch.
With recent rainy days, the garden is thriving. The hummingbird tree (Sesbania grandiflora ) had its first flowers. This is the first time I saw red ones. Mom always had trees with white flowers. The flowers don't last long and need to be picked as soon as possible. I used the first several flowers in an omelet.
| Hummingbird flowers. |
Lemon tree has tiny flowers. I don't expect fruits, the tree is only a couple of feet tall and is still in a pot. I have to plant it in the ground soon.
Just today I saw this season's first bitter gourd. I thought the vines wouldn't survive the cold days, but they came to life several months later.
| Bitter gourd.
|
| Mustard flowers. |
The more I learn about plants, the more I realize how patient one should be when gardening. Plants have their own schedules. They need our attention and care. I have learned to wait patiently for seeds to sprout, and cuttings to root and every time my patience pays off.
"A garden is a grand teacher. It teaches patience and careful watchfulness; it teaches industry and thrift; above all it teaches entire trust." ~ Gertrude Jekyll
XX
Nil
"A garden is a grand teacher. It teaches patience and careful watchfulness; it teaches industry and thrift; above all it teaches entire trust." ~ Gertrude Jekyll
XX
Nil
Oh, I loved getting to see all your plant photos, Nil. How neat that your fig cuttings have sprouted. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen many plants for sale at yard sales, but we did find aloe vera on the 127 sale last year. That was pretty neat. I moved it outside this week since the danger of frost has now passed.
ReplyDeleteYes Belinda, it's rare to find plants at yard sales. I was very excited to see these the other day. A lot cheaper than buying from the garden center. :)
DeleteVery nice plants! That is a great idea to share plants. I was just telling my husband (after having the local store's bulbs not come up for me and wasting my money) that the best plants I've had came from shovel-fulls from neighbors/friends! Andrea
ReplyDeleteThat's so true. Another advantage is good gardeners know exactly how to grow their plants, and under what conditions so they share that knowledge as well.
DeleteGood work Nil. Those cuttings are the way to go to get a low cost garden.
ReplyDeleteThank you earthmotherwithin. Cuttings take longer, but they are much cheaper than store bought plants.
DeleteYou have such a green thumb, Nil! I'm excited for you. I have been wanting to plant a fig tree, too. That red blossom is absolutely gorgeous! I'm sure that your plants feel your love and care.
ReplyDeleteThanks Stephenie. One day I want to have a garden full of fruit trees, just like yours. 😊
DeleteI enjoy reading about your garden updates. Your plants look so healthy. They will give you much in return this year for your gentle care. That's a nice, tiled plant stand, good yard sale find!
ReplyDeleteThank you Priscilla. 😊
DeleteYour plants are so different than what we can grow here. I love seeing what you grow. That plant stand is beautiful too.
ReplyDeleteThe weather here is ideal for tropical plants for almost through out the year. I'm still learning about native plants and one day I'd love to have a bed of edible weeds native to Florida.
DeleteSounds like a great facebook group - I love the share economy at work. I say leave in the mustard greens, enjoy the flowers and let them self seed - you'll never have to plant them again as they'll just keep popping up for you when the time is right - plants are great like that!
ReplyDeleteHappy gardening.
Cheers,
Laura
I like self seeding. 😊 The nature knows the best.
DeleteYou definitely have a green thumb, Nil! My mother did, too - she'd plant a dead stick and it would grow into a plant for her! I, on the other hand, can plant a thriving plant and it'll be dead within a week! LOL. I've never seen red katuru murunga flowers! But I saw a plant for sale at one of the garden centers, here, sometime ago and got all excited (but not excited enough to spend $79 for it!)
ReplyDeleteHeheee Bless your comment made me laugh. I never knew I had a green thumb. When I was little I used to say that I'd grow only cacti in my garden because I didn't want to water plants every day. 😂
DeleteWow $79 for a katurumurunga is too much. I bought mine at a flea market. I don't remember the exact price, but I am sure it was less than $15.
You have a beautiful garden with many different plants and trees. You take more effort in growing them. My father is very much interested in gardening. As you said many care need to be taken for the plants to make them grow healthy and yield many veggies.
ReplyDeleteLove your first small and cute bitter guard, mustard flower...
Plant stand looks good.
Thank you for visiting and commenting Weekend-Windup. I find gardening to be very relaxing.
DeletePlants can be really expensive so swapping and yard sales are a great way to keep that cost down. And, you'll generally get plants that are suited to the local area too. I really like your plant stand! Meg:)
ReplyDeleteYes Meg. I love yard sales and swaps. From swaps I get to meet like minded people in the area, so it's another bonus. :)
Delete