Sunday, November 18, 2018

A Cold Weekend

We had a cold weekend. Friday night was very cold. The lowest temperature dropped to 48F (~ 9C). Though it wasn't freezing, I covered some tropical plants and brought in several pots inside just to be safe. Though it's nothing compared to the weather up north, it's cold for where I live, and especially for me. ⛄ It's back to 77F (25C) now though the morning was a lot cooler.

I noticed that the bean seeds I got from the library have sprouted.

Beans.

On Friday I went to a Habitat Restore. They were relocating to the next town, so almost everything  was on sale. I found four plantation shutters for the dining area. I was able to get all four for $21. They need to be cut, but this is the best price I've seen so far. Normally a used pair sells for around $35-45.

I also bought a small pan to heat beeswax, and a book, both for $1.50.

Thrift store finds.

I decide to postpone planting Norfolk pines. About once or twice during the winter, the temperature here drops below freezing, and Norfolk pine can't tolerate very cold temperatures until they establish well. So I'm going to keep the plants in pots until spring time.

I decluttered the utensil drawer in the kitchen. I don't know why I needed multiple can openers, and peelers. I kept two of each and discarded one can opener, one peeler, and also several knives. I also tossed out several plastic placemats. Next week I will declutter a shelf full of cookbooks. I have too many.

As you can see from my to-do list, I didn't get a lot done. I had more than usual amount of tea and coffee, and started reading a new book - Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power by Jon Meacham. I love history, and the book sounds very interesting. Cold days are ideal for cuddling up with a good book and a cup of tea.

Results of this week's to-do list:
1) Plant Norfolk pine. - Postponed.
2) Cut curtain panels for the second window in the spare room.
3) Clean two brass containers. - Cleaned only one.
4) Mend a pair of jeans.
5) Do yoga.
6) Sleep 7 hrs.

Tasks for the next week:
1) Mend clothes.
2) Sew curtain panels.
3) Declutter one bookshelf.
4) Make deodorant.
5) Transplant bean seedlings.
6) Do yoga.
7) Sleep 7 hrs.

I have no special plans for Thanksgiving, though I look forward to a relaxing long weekend.
I hope you all have a wonderful week.


XX
Nil


20 comments:

  1. I hope you have a wonderful week too, Nil. What a good deal you found on the plantation shutters. I saw some on a website I visited yesterday and they are so beautiful. We've been enjoying warm cups of tea here too with the chill in the air. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be busy preparing for Thanksgiving, Belinda. Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  2. Hi Nil, If you lived closer, I would invite you over to my place for Thanksgiving. That's wonderful that you found such an excellent price on the plantation shutters. Enjoy your reading and cups of hot tea...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Stephenie, if I lived closer I'd happily accept your invitation to visit your lovely cottage. :)
      Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this book very much, hope you do, too. I am not currently reading a book because I am too indecisive. Hope it stays mild for you. Here, it is now almost always below 10 degrees Celsius, gloves and hat weather. Have a good week. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's too cold for me. Though I'd really like if I could wear gloves and hats. :)
      I hope you have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  4. You found a great bargain on those shutters! And the other thrift store items, too. Well done on the decluttering!

    Sounds like your nighttime temperatures went down quite a bit! Good idea to cover some of your plants and bring the others in. How exciting to see the beans sprouting!

    Enjoy your Thanksgiving break. I hope you accomplish all what you'd like to get done, this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the air in your area is not affected by fires, Bless.
      Happy Thanksgiving to you and your daughter!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you got your 7 hours of sleep in. Big score on the shutters! Have a wonderful, restful Thanksgiving break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I get enough sleep, but no exercise at all. Heheee
      I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.

      Delete
  6. It is exciting to see your library bean seeds start to grow. I enjoyed the book on Jefferson. Visiting Monticello a few years ago made me very interested in his life. Enjoy your Thanksgiving holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visiting Monticello is on my list, Anita. I've seen documentaries and it is so beautiful.
      Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  7. -smile- That was cold for you, but "balmy" for me. ,-) For an example, Thanksgiving here will be sunny, with high of 21 degrees and low of 5 degrees. :-)))))

    Oh I love books by Michael Pollan!!!!!! Good find!

    If it feels like more resting, your body probably needs it. And winter is time to curl up with a book and a warm drink. :-)

    But when you are feeling chilly, think of me! ,-))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah, that's way too cold for me. It's back to 79F here. :)
      I hope you stay warm. Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  8. We are heading for a hot weekend over here, Nil. Sunday is forecast to be 36C. So different to the cold where you are. Definitely book and warm cuppa weather, I forgo all sorts of jobs for reading all the time! I hope you enjoy The Omnivore's Dilemma. It's on my bookshelf and I've read it several times now. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, I remember you mentioned Michael Pollan's books.
      So when I saw it at the thrift store I knew it must be a good book. 😊

      Delete
  9. I love history too.!! Your plants have sprouted so nicely. I just planted some parsley indoors. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parsley is a very useful herb. I hope it will grow well indoors.
      😊 I too need to plant some parsley. I've been buying it for the past several months.

      Delete
  10. Thrift stores finds are the best and I have found some really nice items. I really enjoy going to them and even if there's nothing purchased, it's always an adventure to look around. You found some bargains, Nil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love going to thrift stores, Beatrice. Even if I don't buy things always, it's indeed fun to look around. It's like a treasure hunt. :)

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻