![]() |
| Stuffed Portobello mushrooms. |
I had a productive week.
Paperwork for auto and home insurances were finalized, and I was able to combine them for a better rate. I also received the tax refund. It was faster because I e-filed the return and requested the refund to be deposited into my bank account. I plan to pay $250 toward the mortgage, and save the rest in 'house maintenance' account.
The college is closed on Monday for President's Day. I finished grading labs and quizzes before the weekend started, so I can I have a relaxing long weekend. π I tried several new recipes - stuffed Portobello mushrooms, sago pudding, sweet & sour turkey meatballs & broccoli dish that I made up. π
On Saturday I did grocery shopping. I went to two stores and bought lots of fresh vegetables, eggs, almond milk, cheese, fresh and frozen fruits and toilet paper. I wanted to buy red lentil and garam masala powder from the Indian store, but when I went there at 10.05 AM it was still closed. Several people were waiting outside. I heard one of them calling the owners and asking about the delay. The owners had said they would be there in 10 minutes, but I decided to go home.
| A couple of cardinals. The male is on the purple pot, and the female is on the black pot right next to it. |
I'm reading another mystery by Charles Finch, The September Society.
I also started working on a redwork embroidery design. I found a design online. I didn't have a carbon tracing paper, so I taped the printed design to the fabric, and placed it on the kitchen window pane and traced the design. π Have you done redwork embroidery?
Have a wonderful week all. πΌπΌπΌ
This week I'm grateful for:
1) being able to save by combining insurances.
2) having time to try new recipes.
3) rain watering the garden. ☔
4) the fast tax refund.
5) the grading free long weekend.
6) a fridge full of fruits and vegetables.
7) e-books.
XX
Nil

I'm glad you got a good deal on the insurance by combining auto and home. That's what I do, too. Yay for a grading-free weekend! Glad you are able to enjoy the long weekend. I was looking so hard at your potted plants that I almost missed the birds! LOL. Glad you got your tax refund, already. I haven't even filed, yet! I've an appointment scheduled with my tax preparer, however. Hope you enjoy your holiday, tomorrow, and have a great week.
ReplyDeleteIt’s hard to spot the female cardinal. The male is easier with his bright colors.
DeleteI can’t believe the long weekend is already over. π
Well done for sorting out all those tedious insurance issues. I had to look up redwork embroidery, I didn't expect it to be what the name implied, embroidery work using red thread. Sometimes I think too much :-) I have never done any embroidery but have thought of learning how to do it as a small project is portable and practical to carry with me. Have a good week.
ReplyDeleteI used to do hand embroidery on pillow cases, nightgowns etc. But this is my first redwork embroidery. π
DeleteYes, I have done redwork embroidery before, years ago though. I have some designs printed off to do a set with a Christmas theme to make some wall hangings ready for this December.
ReplyDeleteRedwork wall hangings are very nice. I want to do three separate ones, so it’s going to take time.
DeleteI hope you will post photos of your embroidery once it’s done. π
It's lovely to see the photograph of the cardinals. Beautiful birds. X
ReplyDeleteThey are, aren’t they? This couple is s adorable. Once I saw the male feeding the female.
DeleteLovely cardinals in your pots. We don't have them in my neck of the woods! It sounds like you are having the perfect 3 day weekend. Good news that your tax refund came so fast.
ReplyDeleteYes, I was impressed to see the quick return. π
DeleteYour mushrooms look delicious. You did have a productive week! Andrea
ReplyDeleteThank you Andrea. I love all types of mushrooms.
DeleteOhhhhhhh, that looks sooooooooo delicious!!!!
ReplyDeleteOhhhh yummmm....
Stuffed mushrooms!!!!
Ohhhh, I am so hungry now!!!!!!! -sigh-
-grin-
π₯ππ₯
Hehehe.. π
DeleteI've never done redwork embroidery, but I think it's beautiful and so fresh looking. I like to embroider pastoral scenes with cottages in appropriate colors for the scene.
ReplyDeleteHave a great week!
This is going to be my very first redwork embroidery Toni. I did hand embroidery many years ago. I too love pastoral scenes. π
DeleteI'm in the process of putting a quilt together right now, made up of redwork blocks. I use a window as a light box too π. Just be careful when you wash your redwork, the red can run, so I always use a colour catcher and a splash of vinegar in the washing machine. Hope you're having a relaxing Monday.
ReplyDeleteAh I didn’t think about the possibility of color running. Thank you for the tip, Nanette. π
DeleteNo, I've never heard of it. I'm grateful for a fridge full of fruits and vegetables, too. You sound so busy and organized. That's great that you already got your tax refund.
ReplyDeleteGreat job on combining the insurance together. Once a year I call my utilities and insurance companies to see if there is any way I can save some money. All the little amounts really add up over time.
ReplyDeleteI hope you will show us your redwork embroidery when you are finished, Nil. I love embroidery and seeing what other people make with tiny stitches. Enjoy your long weeked! Meg:)
ReplyDeletehi Nil
ReplyDeletealways nice to have a long weekend. sounds like you have been very productive! cheers sherry
Nil, those cardinals are just beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the birthday wishes, Nil, and for sharing that you are also not a fan of theme parks, which we did not miss on iur recent FL tripπ Glad the j sura ce worked out to be a better deal when combined and yeah for tax refunds!
ReplyDeleteYum, I love stuffed mushrooms,so delicious!
ReplyDeleteNice to have a long weekend and time to do some cooking. Those stuffed portobello mushrooms look delicious!
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing!! You do get a lot accomplished. Those recipes looks marvelous!
ReplyDelete