After a couple of either busy or cold weeks, this week I had time to work in the yard. I cleaned up around the compost bin, weeded around the raised beds, and changed soil in a potted plant. While I was working, a group of ducks and another white bird came to the yard. I'm not sure exactly what it is, it has a crown like a peacock's. I've seen this bird near a house across the lake. This is the first time I saw it in my backyard.
The back fence is all covered in weeds. I'd like to clean it and plant passion vines along the fence. It's a big job, and I plan to do it in the spring break.
After reading how tea bags leave billions of microplastics in tea, I stopped buying tea bags. I still had green tea and chamomile tea in bags. I didn't want to throw them away, so this week I opened the bags and removed tea into glass jars. Tea bags are convenient, but I think it's better to make tea the old fashioned way.
Because of President's Day holiday, I had a short work week. On Monday I made a big batch of tatiflette and had enough leftover to take to work.
On Friday a friend and I went to a diner for breakfast. I rarely go out for breakfast, but after reading a post by Beatrice at The Frog and PenguINN about meals at diners I really wanted to go to a diner. π
I had toast, two eggs, home fries, sausages and a big mug of coffee. I liked the atmosphere of the place. It was not noisy or busy. There were many older couples and they looked like they were regular customers. The food was good, though the coffee was a bit weak for my taste. It was a nice change from the daily routine, though the frugal part of me thought that I could have made the same meal for less, even with organic eggs. π
On Saturday I crocheted a towel topper using this pattern. I still have to weave in ends and add a button. I did a bit of redwork embroidery as well. I finished The September Society by Charles Finch (the 2nd book in the Charles Lenox series) and downloaded The Fleet Street Murders (the 3rd book in the same series). I wish I could read them in order, but the first one is not available yet. I placed a hold, and I was notified that it would take approximately 10 weeks.
I decided to limit the amount of time I spent online, especially on Facebook. I used 'Screen Time' feature on the iPad to set time limits.
There's only one week left in February. Time flies so fast. It's been 3 years since I bought the house. While doing the monthly update of financial records, I noticed that I have just below 63% of the mortgage left. I can't wait until it's below 50%. If all goes well, my plan is to pay it off within 8 -10 years.
Have a wonderful week all. πΌπΌπΌ
This week I'm grateful for:
1) President's Day holiday.
2) inexpensive embroidery thread.
3) freshly mowed yard.
4) passion fruit juice.
5) comfy sofa and blankets.
6) time to crochet.
7) having a backyard.
XX
Nil





Your backyard is so nice, lush and green. (Beautiful ducks and bird!) Good idea to empty the tea out. I rarely drink tea, but I like it if I have a cold for some reason. I always wonder about the plastic in water bottles. I always felt diners were popular among retired people. At least in Delaware they were mostly filled with that age group when I've gone. A diner breakfast can stick in your stomach for the duration of two meals! lol Andrea
ReplyDeleteOh, yes. I was so full after that breakfast, I didn’t have lunch. π
DeleteFlorida is full of retired people, so they are everywhere. π
You've had a busy week! Your white bird looks like it might be a peahen. Peahens are usually a drab brown, nothing at all like the colorful peacock with his long tail feathers. It's unusual to see a mostly white one.
ReplyDeleteIs it all tea bags or just those nylon bags, as mentioned in the article? Because the tea bags I use seem to be made of a type of paper, not nylon.
You definitely seem to be on track for paying off the house in just a few year! Well done! Hope you have a good week ahead.
Bless, not all tea bags have micro plastic. The study mentioned in the article tested nylon bags.
DeleteBut I read that some tea bags (that are not nylon) have a small amount of plastic (made from oil) as adhesive.
Tea bags made of hemp is ok, I think. Especially if the manufacture says it’s 100% plastic free.
What beautiful birds! I am limiting my screen time, too. Instead, I spend more time in nature and with real people. Congratulations on paying down the mortgage.
ReplyDeleteThank you Stephenie. It's great to see the mortgage going down slowly. :)
DeleteYou must be busy lately. Looks like a peahen to me. I've done the same with my teas here at the house, but I still have bags at work. At least going in the right direction.
ReplyDeleteAnother thing I don't like about tea bags in those individual sachets. Some are not paper, and it's a lot of waste.
DeleteI'm reading this at 6.45am and the photograph of your breakfast has my mouth watering.
ReplyDeleteI keep thinking about switching to loose leaf tree and you've just given me the push to finally do something about it. I don't drink tea all that often so it shouldn't be a big inconvenience. Small changes. X
Hehee, sorry to make you hungry, Jules. :)
DeleteInteresting about tea bags, I will check that out!
ReplyDeleteNot all tea bags have microplastic, Natalia. Only the nylon ones and the ones with a thin layer of adhesives. If a paper bag is stapled shut, that should be okay. :)
DeleteI think the white bird is a guinea fowl, but I'm no expert.:-)
ReplyDeleteYour tea in the green-lidded jars looks cool. Hey, that's a plus. Loose tea is prettier than bags of tea.
Those are empty apricot jam jars. I love the jam, so I have a collection of empty jars. :)
DeleteThank you for that information, on tea bags.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely view you have beyond your fence. Actual greenery, rather than close up houses.
That looks like an interesting breakfast. Never cared to go out for breakfast, because that gives-the-treat, early in the day. I like to look forward to a later treat. -smile- Just me! Many people love going out for breakfast.
And in regard to your comment on my blog... I think I have heard that too.... About the Queen and protocol. If so, it is so out of touch, with today. There are many old ways, which would be lovely to continue. But these things, which are Rules About Interaction With Royalty, are way beyond their time. At least, sezzzzzz I. ,-)
*•.¸π¸.•*
Yes, I think I'm lucky to have the empty space and the lake in the back. :)
DeleteI read about the plastics in teabags as well. I am not a tea drinker, but I am amazed at the popularity of those small coffee pods which also must be adding to the plastic waste. I limit my screen time as well.
ReplyDeleteI too have read about the effect of those coffee pods on the environment. I don't drink coffee often, and when I do, I use a stove-top espresso maker. :)
DeleteLooks like you live in bird heaven. That's definitely a pea-hen. We like diners, too. We like our Chai but without the toxins. That's appalling .
ReplyDeleteIt's very hard to find food without harmful chemicals now. :(
DeleteDragons Pearl tea???? That sounds interesting! I haven't used tea bags for years, partly the environmental thing, but I do like the the ritual of making a pot of tea. I have a number of tea pots in varying sizes, depending on how many cups I might want, or how many people are sharing. Please would you show us your redwork? Have a good week.
ReplyDeleteNanette, it's Jasmine dragon pearls tea. They are hand rolled and have a really nice fragrance.
DeleteI will post a photo of my red-work. It doesn't look nice though....
Your diner breakfast looks mouthwateringly yummy. I haven't had a fry up in what seems like a long time. I do love a good fry up. I don't drink much tea but when I do I prefer loose leaves. I may be kidding myself but I am convinced it tastes better. We do have lots of tea bags in the house unfortunately because my family are a bit lazy. Isn't it a great feeling when the mortgage just gets smaller and smaller? Have a good week.
ReplyDeleteYou are right, loose leaves taste better. I drink earl grey tea every morning, and for me, it must be loose leaves. :)
DeleteI love a good cup of tea made the 'proper' way with a teapot and loose leaves! Good on you for being so careful about paying down your mortgage. It will be worth it.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to the day with no mortgage payments. π
DeleteLooks like half a duck and half a peacock. The other ducks look cross bred. You will have some awesome passion fruit along that fence. Mine are struggling as I found out I had not good soil. Thats scary about those tea bags, I cut mine open as well. I checked out the recipe for Tatiflette thank you it looks yummy. Sometimes its nice to go out and enjoy everything a meal can offer including seeing other people, enjoying the atmosphere etc. Three years has gone by quickly.
ReplyDeleteYes, Bridget. I can’t believe how fast the time flies. π
Deletethat's fabulous about paying off so much of your mortgage. wish i could say the same:) you can make your own tea bags with squares of muslin. i am going to give it a go sometime...
ReplyDeleteThat’s an interesting idea. I wonder if they are re-usable.
DeletePassionfruit vines along the fence will be great, Nil. It would be a really productive area then with you growing the fruit. You have such a great goal for paying off your mortgage; that end goal will make for sound financial decisions. Imagine the day that debt is done and dusted! Meg:)
ReplyDeleteOh, I cannot wait to be mortgage free, Meg. I make slow progress, but it’s progress nonetheless. π
DeleteThanks for the info on tatiflette which i read after connecting to your previous post. It looked delicious! Also, thanks for mentioning that I had recommended breakfast for dinner. We also enjoy pancakes every once in awhile. And you are right that the same meal could be done cheaper at home, but then that's true of most meals we enjoy when not at home :-) I didn't know about the plastic in teabags, but don't plan to empty those I have in the cupboard now. Great news on the house mortgage pay-down and continued good luck to you.
ReplyDeleteThank you Beatrice. I love reading about your road trips, and one day I want to take Amtrak for one of my trips. π
DeleteI felt the same way about tea bags. I was using loose-leaf tea until I was gifted some tea bags at Christmas, after those are used, I want to go back to the loose-leaf type. Congrats on making a dent on your mortgage!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jules. π
DeleteI liked your meal at the diner. I suspect you could have made the same meal at home cheaper as you mentioned. I enjoyed reading this post. Happy Thursday.
ReplyDeletewww.rsrue.blogspot.com
Thank you for visiting and commenting R. :)
DeleteGreat to see you busy and kicking all week. I had always liked it that way. Live life yo the fullest doing all the teeny tiny things that can make you happy. Loved to see the finished crochet. That was some heavy breakfast at the diners. Wishing you a speedy mortgage payment.
ReplyDeleteThank you Andrea.
DeleteThanks for reading and commenting. :)
That last list of things you are grateful for is the best part of your article! With the lockdown and quarantine in place, I am just thankful for each day that passes by without any problems. I made a similar list today.
ReplyDelete