Another week flew by very fast. I spent a good portion of my free time shopping for home a insurance policy. Finally I decided to combine auto and home policies. While I was still in the process of getting information from the agent, I noticed that the bank had already paid from the escrow to renew with the current insurance company. So I had to call the bank and asked how to switch companies. Hopefully I will be able to complete paperwork this week. By combining auto and home insurance, I can lower the cost by a small amount. It was a bit more than what I paid for the home inspection, so I feel good. 😊
![]() |
| The last glass of elderberry cordial. |
This week I made several online purchases. Though I like to support small businesses whenever I can, I also like the convenience of online shopping. I replenished the stock of vitamins by buying online. I could have gone to the vitamin store to pick up the order, but the order was large enough to receive free shipping and 20% off the total price. This vitamin shop offers buy one get one 50% off deals on store brand items in April and September, but their online store offers the same deal this month. So I was able to save a quite a bit.
I also bought Japanese Sencha green tea and Jasmin Pearls green tea from an online retailer. I wanted loose leaf tea, but couldn't find any at nearby stores.
![]() |
| Passion fruits. |
I renewed both my driver license and car registration online. There was a $2 convenience fee, but I decided that it was better than making an appointment and spending at least an hour at the nearby service center.
Back when I was a student, I even bought clothes online. I used to buy clothes and shoes from Victoria's Secret (unfortunately, they do not sell sweaters now), L.L. Bean, Sierra Trading Post and Land's End. It was really difficult to find my size clothes at the shopping mall, and I didn't have a car to drive to different stores. Because I didn't enjoy going to the mall anyway, I preferred online shops. I still have some of the clothes and shoes bought online and some are 10-15 years old. This was before I found thrift stores. Now, even when I see a nice top at a shop I think 'oh I can find a better deal at a thrift store'. 😀 Just the other day I found a pretty lavender color Cashmere turtleneck sweater at a thrift store for $4.
No matter how convenient online shopping is, I am hesitant to buy electronics and fresh produce online. I do compare prices online when buying electronics, then go to the store with the best deal. I am not sure if I will ever buy fresh produce online.
What about you? Do you shop online?
This week I'm grateful for:
1) a not too long evening lab and being able to come home early.
2) yard waste pickup.
3) nice colleagues.
4) a cool and breezy day.
5) being able to have a lazy Friday. 😃
6) a basket full of fresh greens from the garden for lunch.
7) more home grown passion fruits.
XX
Nil



I hve bought a couple things online, but got burned in the process. I much prefer to have the item in hand to look it over. I never buy clothes online because, with my fibromyalgia, I need to feel every square inch on whatever fabric will be touching me because of the skin anxieties that come with it. My son has ordered a couple thngs for me (my favorite pens and something else I can't remember now lol), but only because he got it wih the free shipping for using amazon prime (I don't have extra money for that). I'm probably one of the last of my kind to want to shop in a real store. Have a blessed week! ♥
ReplyDeleteI also don't have Amazon Prime, Diana.
DeleteIf I want to buy something on Amazon, I have to wait until I have enough things to qualify for free shipping. One advantage is that sometimes while waiting I realize somethings are not really necessary, so I don't buy them. So it's a form of saving. LOL
I ocassionally buy things online. It can be more convenient, as where I live it can often be difficult to source specific items.
ReplyDeleteI will be looking online later today to purchase my home insurance. X
I hope you found a good price for your home insurance, Jules.
DeleteI just completed buying insurance, and it was time consuming.
I rarely shop online. In fact, I don't, but, occasionally, I ask my daughter to buy something (like the piano music book and the spice grinder) for me. She does it in a manner that gives free shopping. I prefer to shop for an item in a store, where I can see it, touch it, try it on, if clothes or shoes, etc. I used to buy things through mail order, though, a long time ago, but, they would bill you and you could pay it with a check. I guess I am old fashioned!
ReplyDeleteI too combine items to qualify for free shipping, Bless.
DeleteI still get catalogs from certain stores, and if I see something on a catalog, I still buy them online. :)
I feel there are better deals online for clothes...and easier to "shop around". We always combine auto/home insurances to get that extra discount. I have bought from small businesses online and had my credit card compromised by one...sometimes they might not keep their security up-to-date I feel. Of course we have giant retail breeches too! Andrea
ReplyDeleteYes, security is a big problem, Andrea. I don't buy online from small businesses unless they are on a platform like Etsy or Amazon. Still there's no guarantee.
DeleteHome grown fruits and veggies are a true blessing, yum!
ReplyDeleteYes, they are Natalia. :)
DeleteI do quite a lot of shopping online because it's possible to save enough money to make it worthwhile. I prefer to shop locally for food but will order online from the local supermarket on the occasions when I don't feel well enough to shop in-store. I buy my insurances and memberships online as there are often special deals which are cheaper than buying from the local broker.
ReplyDeleteI used to buy my car insurance online, but went with an agent to buy home insurance. I didn't feel knowledgeable enough to choose a policy by myself. :)
DeleteHere in California we are encouraged to renew our driver's license and annual car tags either by mail or on-line. No extra charge! I hate to shop in general. I think it is about 50/50 for on-line or in-person shopping. I am very skeptical about buying food without seeing it first, especially produce.
ReplyDeleteIn Florida, if you renew the driver's license online, next time you have to do it in person.
DeleteI too don't like buying produce online. :)
Shop on line for clothing, have done so for years. I find reliable sources, and go back to them.
ReplyDeleteDo not like to shop. So do like such convenience, as long as I know the source, and have had luck with them.
Also buy over-the-counter items like 'Prelief' and 'Dairy Relief'... My husband is a pharmacist, and can check the ingredients, to be sure I am getting what I want.
I would be very careful about many items, from Amazon though. With the news that some of their items, are not what they should be.
As always; "Caveat emptor!" "Buyer beware!" I learned that, way back in college, in the 50's. In my Economics course. And it is still and always, so.
⛄⛄⛄⛄
Yes, you are right about some things on Amazon, Wisps. There are fake reviews too, so one has to be very careful.
DeleteHi Nil, That's a great deal for a cashmere sweater. I usually shop in February during the sales at T.J. Maxx. I buy some of my soapmaking supplies online.
ReplyDeleteI have a T.J. Maxx credit card that I use only to buy gas. Once in a while it collects enough reward so I receive a $10 gift certificate. I didn't go to T.J. Maxx for a while. I'll stop by next week to see if there are any sales. Usually I buy gifts from T.J. Maxx.
Deleteoh yes i shop for nearly everything online. hubby and i detest shopping centres!
ReplyDeleteIf I didn't have to eat, I think I would not go to a store at all. :)
DeleteI shopped online when purchasing birthday gifts for my son's Xmas and birthday presents. I ordered a few second-hand books, titles that he requested, that were a great price and in really good condition. We also found another gift that was almost half of the full price. Hence, my boy now has a football jersey! MegXx
ReplyDeletep.s. I love the colour of your elderberry cordial. Delicious!
Yes there are very good deals online, Meg. Now I buy all my books from thirst stores or online.
DeleteI like to buy local, too, but sometimes Amazon is the best price and selection. And I LOVE thrift stores. Half of everything in my house was thrifted. LOL
ReplyDeleteHave a great week!
Ha ha. same here Toni. I love thrift stores. :)
DeleteYour still-life photos of fruit in bowls are very pretty. Your are lucky to have passion fruit!
ReplyDeletebest... mae at maefood.blogspot.com
Yes, Mae. I didn’t expect passion fruits this late in the winter.
DeleteThere are so many nice clothes on Etsy, but I just know the minute I get them, they’ll look horrible or not fit right. Better to shop for clothing in person.
ReplyDeleteYes, that happened to my sister recently. She thought she was buying a light blue outfit, and it turned out to be white. Sometimes small internet sellers do not post good photos, and the quality of the products can be low.
DeleteWe do shop online. I love Target's free shipping, which I take advantage of regularly. I order ibuprofen, body wash, clothes, and gifts at Christmas time online to avoid those crowds. Cat food is especially great since we buy the big bags and deliver them right to our door, no lugging them up and down the stairs.
ReplyDeleteYes, Belinda. Avoiding traffic and crowd is another advantage of online shopping.
Delete
ReplyDelete💕 💕 💕Happy Valentine Day💕 💕 💕
Thank you Wisps. Same to you! ❤️
DeleteBelated Hearts ❤️ Day wishes to you, Nil. We did combine auto and home insurance policies and now auto and apt insurance and did it through Liberty Mutual Ins. I'm sure that other companies also offer combo deals and it can definitely save you $ Like you I try to shop locally whenever possible, but sometimes online shopping is easier in terms of travel, traffic and crowds.
ReplyDeleteThank you Beatrice. :)
DeleteI already had my car insurance with AAA, so I combined the insurances with them.
Dear Nil....Re: Your comment on my blog.... A blogger who does her blog, in a font, which is hard for you to read. Why not tell her? Politely of course... That it is hard for you to read, and you don't read, as much as you would like?
ReplyDeleteNone of us knows, what our blog "looks like," to anyone else!!! Unless someone tells us, we are "in the dark." Myself, I want people to tell me, if something about my blog, makes it hard for them to follow me. Wouldn't any blogger, want that?
I think too many people, never speak up, for fear of not being polite.
But really, don't we all love Readers and Commenters? Wouldn't anyone want to know, if something, does not look as good, on another computer screen, as it does on our own???
Just a thought..... -smile-