Sunday, February 2, 2020

Weekly Catch Up



We had another cool and rainy week. The week was busy, and I was able to get a lot done. 

The biggest thing was getting a home inspection. My insurance agent said,  with an inspection report she could shop for a better insurance rate for me. The report is good, so I hope she will be able to get me a better rate.

It's test time again. Two of my classes had tests (two more next week), so I spent part of the weekend grading tests.  I try my best to grade assignments at work, but sometimes I have to bring it home. I also started volunteering at the college food pantry. I signed up for 10 hours, 1 hour per week.  

I also filed my 2019 income tax return. Normally I wait until spring break, but I decided to do it early because I already had all the documents. I used IRS Free File, and submitted it online. 

Because the week was busy I didn't cook much on weekdays. I ate leftover food, and used the last container of frozen chicken curry. In the weekend I made a big pot of tomato sauce, leek and potato soup, mung bean curry, carrots, and fish sauteed with leeks. I also made oat risotto. This is the second time I made it, and it's already one of my favorite breakfast dishes. 

Oat risotto. 

Here's something interesting. 😊 This is a thrift store find, and initially I thought it was a cute tea kettle. However, it says 'grease', and has a strainer. Google tells me that it is a vintage aluminum grease kettle made in Japan. Do you use a grease kettle?

Vintage grease kettle.



I am still reading The Vanishing Man by Charles Finch.  Usually I don't take a week to finish a fiction, but I've been reading a chapter or two at a time, and concentrating more on other things. 


My next book is The Sweetness of a Simple Life by Diana Beresford-Kroger. After this, I will go back to another Charles Finch book. 😊

This week I'm grateful for:
1) the insurance agent who promptly responded to my emails.
2) online office hours.
3) leftover food.
4) rain.
5) good home inspection report.
6) being able to file tax return early.
7) video chats with mom and sister, a friend, and a former colleague.

Have a wonderful week all. 🌻

XX
Nil


32 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the good home inspection report! I hope it will bring a very good deal on the home insurance. A grease kettle! What an interesting item! I've never seen one, before! I am guessing it is to store used cooking oil to be reused?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. It is a relief to find there is nothing wrong with the house. :)

      Yes, I think the grease kettle is for storing used oil. Because it's aluminum I guess you can even heat it up if oil solidifies in winter. :)

      Delete
  2. The kettle is so cute! And that risotto looks yum☺ Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I have never seen a 'grease kettle" but I can imagine it was used for what the English call 'dripping" - the fat from a roast, which you saved when filtered a bit, and used for other cooking- like for roast potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. I think you can even heat up solidified oil because the kettle is aluminum.

      Delete
  4. Both my Mom and Grandmother used grease kettles. I always used a mason jar for grease. Thank you for the link to the IRS free tax sight. I was going to use Turbo Tax, but will probably use the IRS link instead. I hope you have a great week, Nil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always used Free File, Belinda. And if you submit it online, and ask the refund to be direct deposited, it's very fast.
      I hope you are now fully recovered from cough, Belinda. Have a great week. :)

      Delete
  5. Like your thrift store find, if I had seen that I would have bought it to. It is in nice condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Faith. Google says it's made in 1940s, and it looks very good for that age. :)

      Delete
  6. You've had a really busy and productive week. How long does the grading take to complete?

    I just looked at your next book on Goodreads. It sounds interesting so I have added to my ever growing to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on the test, Eileen. A multiple choice test takes less time, but I have 30 students in that class. A test with essay type answers take longer time, but this semester there are only 18 students in that class, and I was able to grade that test within 3 hours.

      Delete
  7. You did have a busy week! That is good news about your positive home inspection; not only for a lower insurance rate but the peace of mind that your home is in good shape. We also filed our taxes this weekend. We strive for neutral tax status with our withholding-no refund and no taxes owed. We hit it really close for 2019 only owing the feds $30 and the state $2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too like to get to a neutral tax status, but can't get it quite right. Once I had $100 refund. I tried to lower it, and the next year I owed about $100. :)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your home inspection report. That's always a relief. I had a very good one on the cabin before I bought it. I love leftovers, too. They are what I eat, most of the time, as a single person. Enjoy your reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie. I was relieved to see the good report. :)

      Delete
  9. Very nice! A grease kettle would be handy. I just use old jars. That is great about your home inspection. Keep warm! I think you probably have warmer days coming! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too use old jars for used oil, Andrea. Now I can use my vintage grease kettle. :)

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on the good house report!!!!

    Have never heard of a grease kettle! Wonder if it is one of those things, which can actually be valuable? Perhaps you could do a search about it... -smile-

    *•.¸💛¸.•*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wisps. 😊
      I saw the grease kettle for sale on several websites from $11-$29. So it’s not Antique Roadshow worthy. 😃

      Delete
  11. No, I have never heard of a grease kettle and wonder if you could find any information on how it was used, Nil. Glad the home insurance went well and hope you can get a better rate from your agent. we always like when we cook once and have leftovers a second day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We call them 'dripping tins'.....round containers with handles and the strainer inside. I used one all the time back when I ate meat and cooked roasts. I like your kettle, lovely shape. Sounds like you've accomplished a lot this week, that's always a good feeling. Cool and rainy here too, with a lot of rain forecast over the coming days.....makes it easy to get lots done, rather than struggling in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are getting much needed rain, Nanette. I too like rain, as long as I don't have to drive anywhere. :)

      Delete
  13. I've never heard of a grease kettle either. That's great that the inspection went well and you can get a lower rate. It must be that time of the semester because I'm giving exams too. And congrats getting your taxes done early!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are very organized!! I am a mess so you have my total admiration!! Never heard of a grease kettle but it sounds interesting. It's great you got a wonderful report back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think being a bit messy is totally ok, Angela. 😊
      That’s a healthy way to live, in my opinion. I try to be organized. But not away so. 😁

      Delete
  15. Don't remember how I got here to your house, but sure glad I'm here! I got started reading back and thoroughly enjoy your blog! Have added you to my blog list and will be back to visit again. My grandma had a grease pot much like yours way back when, she used it constantly (when all they used to make was fried foods). I don't use one because I don't fry food. I do use coconut oil to coat pans and casserole dishes, but that's about it. Blessings to you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just popped over from Bless' blog. The vintage grease pot is neat - I have a friend who loves antiquing and she would go wild over that. Well, come to think of it, I would bet she has one. She seems to have everything. I just picked up A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Lenox, it has been on my TBR list for quite a long time. And isn't it wonderful to have Uncle Sam taken care of so early in the year. You've had a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susanne,
      Thank you reading and commenting. 😊
      I think you will really enjoy Charles Finch books. I just downloaded The September Society by the same author. I wish I could read Charles Lenox series in order, but some are not available in our library system.

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻