Sunday, August 16, 2020

Ready for New Semester :)



Fall semester starts tomorrow (Monday).  After a couple of busy weeks I'm ready to work from home again. I'm a bit nervous because I decided to have three classes live on Zoom. It's nothing like walking around the classroom, using a big whiteboard to write equations, and meeting students face to face. But I wanted to see my students at least on screen, and I hope things will go smoothly. Tomorrow I have two classes, one in the morning and one in the evening. 

I went to two grocery stores and a warehouse store, and bought food to stock up the fridge and the pantry. Yesterday I spent a couple of hours cooking meals. 

Boiled beetroot and carrot, mushroom curry, green beans, and zucchini

I tried two new dishes - Norwegian pickled beetroot and dandelion salad.  Pickled beet recipe is from one of my cookbooks, and dandelion salad recipe is from Clara's Great Depression Cooking YouTube channel. I also made two jars of chicken stock. One jar already went to a leek and potato soup, and the other is in the freezer.

Pickled beetroot

Chicken stock

The other day I picked my very first papaya. It was very good.



We had several rainy days. I liked that because I didn't have to water plants. I don't have much in the garden now. I need to prepare for fall gardening. I think it's late already, but I plant to sow seeds indoors. 

Clockwise from top left: papaya, passion fruits, greens (moringa, katuk, passion leaves, sweet potato leaves), more papaya and the world's smallest bell pepper.

Elderberries

I'm sorry for not reading your blogs lately. I plan to visit the blogland again as soon as possible. 😊 On top of my course work, I had a full day of meetings on Thursday and Friday, and also completed a mandatory safety training. I have my post tenure review coming up as well. I can't believe it's already 9 years since I joined this college. 

Take care everyone. Stay safe.

This week I'm grateful for:
1) Mom's guidance for picking papaya 😍
2) greens from the garden
3) rain
4) a colleague's help with creating labs
5) having a printer
6) being able to work from home
7) texts with sisters and friends


XXX

Nil


22 comments:

  1. I like using zoom... we've done doctor appointments, and I've had AHG troop meetings using it. The girls in the troop thought that was lots of fun and itkept us connected. The doctor calls it "tv" lol he's a funny guy. You know, I don't think I've ever tried papaya 🤔 I'm going to have to buy a couple for me and Jerry. If all works out and I can get back into the garden at the kids', I plan to put in just a few fall crops, not much... just to prove to them yes you can grow things at the end of summer lol. Prayers and good luck for the start of your classes! Congratulations on 9 years! Woot! 🎉👏🏻👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've had some very busy and productive days! I hope the new semester goes well and the zoom classes work out really well for you. Yummy looking papaya, by the way. :) Have a good day, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done with all the planning. I'm five years out of teaching now but I will never forget the feeling of satisfaction when all the planning was finished.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heehee, that is the world's smallest bell pepper, so cute! You have yummy food. I especially love beets and dandelion salads and papayas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck at the start of your new semester. All your food looks amazing. I'm keeping an eye on the elderberries here too, although they are not yet ripe enough to gather just yet. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to read what you are up to Nil, and I sit in awe at your teaching of equations etc. Never a strong point with me :)Your red pawpaws look amazing, we've decided that we just can't grow pawpaws here, there is some kind of bug that gets into them, and yet we saw some amazing ones growing up the road. Elderberries, how wonderful to be able to grow them, elderberry cordial and wine comes to mind.....such an interesting assortment of greens from your garden as well.I am intrigued by your dandelion salad, I think it is too warm here for dandelions, but I must check that out. Good luck with your zoom sessions, I'm sure you will be brilliant :)As we get warmer here, you are preparing for the Fall.Take care. Pauline x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best wishes for you beginning your new semester! Thanks for the tip about Clara's channel....I used to watch her and will start again. My mom used to eat dandelion salad during the depression. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the new teaching term Nil. I have still a few weeks to go but weeks pass so quickly... Your food sounds delicious, as always. Are the dandelions not too bitter at this time of year? It has been many years since I ate dandelion, maybe 30! I'll go and look this recipe up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, you were able to pick so many things this week, Nil. The elderberries will definitely come in handy for cold and flu season. Your papaya is so pretty too. I wish you the best on your new semester and hope you like the Zoom meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best of luck with the fall semester. And congratulations on 9 years post tenure. You are one very smart cookie. I love beets and they grow really well in my gardens all year round. Roasted, boiled, pickled, raw-you cannot go wrong with beets in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy First Day back to teaching! I love watching Clara!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope your first day of classes went well with Zoom! That papaya looks fantastic along with all your other harvests. And congrats on nine years!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope your Zoom classes go well, Nil. We've had rain here lately too and the garden soil has soaked it up. My passsionfruit in a pot is looking healthy too. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think teaching & learning via online & Zoom are the way for the foreseeable future. In our region the school year always begins the Tuesday after Labour Day (this year Sept 8th) it's optional for parents to send their children back into the classroom, most are not. How lovely to be able to pick your own fruit & enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I hope your classes go well via Zoom - that would be quite interesting I think. What a good idea to cook ahead. We've been getting tired of cooking every meal, but I hadn't thought to tackle it in larger batches. I may even make some pickled beets. My mom and I were the only ones who liked them when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck with everything, Nil. Your fruit looks amazing. I think I might have some elderberries growing up at the cabin. I'm not sure what they are. They're turning red. Great job getting all of that cooking done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope your semester goes well. Ours doesn't start until day after Labor Day. With outbreaks at other colleges, I expect we'll go online a few weeks after starting! Celie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is your college giving students a rebate or discount for zoom classes?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope the fall semester goes well for you and your students. That zucchini looks so fresh and good. Also, I love just about anything that has beetroot. Have a wonderul week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. First, Nil, there's no worries bout not being able to read and comment on blogs and that said, Thanks for the well wishes on our recent anniversary. You have so much going on with preparing for online courses once again and it seems you are as ready as possible, although it definitely is not the same as in case instruction. Our 2 grandchildren (13 and 9) will also be starting at home classes in a couple of weeks, The meals prep was a great idea and only wish I was better at doing that, but my food prep consists of making sure there's leftovers for another night's dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  21. pickled beetroot is very popular here in australia especially on hamburgers! hope things are going well for you.
    cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻