Sunday, February 14, 2021

A Couple of Stressful Weeks

Sun rise
Red cardinal

Geese? 

Yellow-rumped warbler

Papaya

Baked salmon (left), baked sardine (right)

Jackfruit


The last two weeks have been so busy. In addition to grading, now each week I have to make videos for a new online class (I'm barely a week ahead of the schedule) and participate in discussions in Andragogy class. Yesterday I finished recording two sections of a chapter. Before recording the third part, I listened to the first two and heard a weird background noise throughout the recording! It took me a while to find the cause (strangely, the noise disappeared when I unplug the laptop power cable), and then I recorded everything again.  
This afternoon I finished grading last week's lab assignments. I also wrote two letters of recommendations for former students. Tomorrow is a college holiday, so I plan to grade a test, and go through 50 applications to rank candidates for a new faculty position. Our dean said this search committee has less work compared to another committee where they received over 100 applications. I guess there's less competition in science field. Most probably because there are better paying jobs out there than teaching.  

Last week I found jackfruit at a grocery store. I picked the smallest one, but it was still too ripe for cooking. Mom said you could tell from the noise it makes when you tap the fruit, but I'm not a jackfruit expert at all. 😁 I'd like to plant a seed and see if it works. Maybe one day I can have a jackfruit tree in the backyard. I picked several papayas, but some were not tasty. I think the last week's cold snap ruined them. The texture was too soft, and I didn't like it at all.

It has been raining since yesterday. I don't have to water plants, and that's a good thing. I've been neglecting the yard for a while now. πŸ˜• 

I found a store that sells good quality wild caught frozen whole fish. I tried this baked sardines with ouzo, tomatoes, capers and lemon recipe, and the baked salmon recipe shown below. They both turned out really well, though I didn't have ouzo for the sardine dish, and used couscous and goat cheese in the salmon dish.


On top of everything, an unruly student caused a problem in one of my classes (it's almost resolved now), and an inheritance saga has been going on with my one my siblings. It really upsets Mom, and that upsets me. I need to be there to do paperwork, and I am not sure when I can go home at the moment because of COVID. I suspect my sibling's spouse is at the root of all this, and I'm heartbroken to see my own sibling's behavior. 

I'm sorry for the post full of complaints. Hopefully this upcoming week will be a better one. 😊

Take care everyone. Have a wonderful week. 🌼🌻🌼🌻

XXX
Nil


18 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about all the stress you are experiencing both in your professional life and personal. (((HUGS))) Beautiful photos of the sunrise and the birds. Your papaya tree is doing so well! I'm sorry the fruit was a bit of a disappointment - maybe they got damaged when it turned cold. Are you going to cook the jackfruit seeds - it's one of my favorite curries! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! Nil, I wish you a much better week to come. Take care of yourself

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not surprised that you've been feeling stressed, it sounds like you've had a lot on your plate. I hope the inheritance situation can be resolved soon. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bird photos are pretty. Isn't it wonderful how birds can be so lovely when we're having a difficult week? I hope this coming week goes better for you and your mother back home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Nil, what a stressful time you have. I hope you get a little time to relax in between all the stressors that appear to be coming together in a short period of time. Inheritance issues are always problematic, I know from experience it can cause family rifts. Fingers crossed this can be resolved soon. As for unruly students, these haunt me in my dreams. The worst are the habitual complainers, or those that file an official complaint without even ever talking to you. Wishing you a more peaceful weeks xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the next few weeks are less stressful for you. That's frustrating to have to re-record lectures and I find writing recommendation letters very time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such interesting fruits, Jack Fruit never heard of it or seen one. papaya I like, how wonderful it grows where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope things start to get better for you soon. It does seem you are dealing with issues on all sides of life. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry you've been having a rough time, Nil and hope that things will resolve soon. The jackfruit is delicious, isn't it? I mm no expert on it either and bought mine frozen. LOL Sorry your papayas were not up to par and hope that cold snap did not ruin all of them. I hope this week is a better one for you and things so low down some.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopefully the week will be a better one for you.
    I have seen Jackfruit but never bought it mainly because I have no idea what to do with it. One day I will get one though!
    Hope this week is better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought you were a college professor? College kids being unruly, or do you actually teach children?

    ReplyDelete
  12. {{Hugs}}for you Nil, and hearty wishes for a less stressful time ahead xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry to hear about your challenges, Nil. Unruly students can be so upsetting. I'm glad that it's almost resolved. I had an inheritance issue with my siblings, too. Thank goodness I consulted an estate attorney and asked the questions he had me ask them. I also insisted on being given a copy of the trust. People can really take advantage during times like these. It's upsetting to see how family members can change when it comes to POA and money.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is sad that your papaya isnt sweet-it looks glorious on your tree. I am surprised that you can ripen them on the tree, it would have been eaten here when the first yellow appeared.

    sorry about your unruly student, I guess covid and lockdown has its effects on children too.

    Sad about your siblings inheritance squabble, hope you can get back to India to sort it out

    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry to hear you are having such a stressful time and hope things ease up for you sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i hope everything improves for you soon. it is astonishing how families end up squabbling about inheritances even when you think the family is rock solid. sooo disappointing. we have heard about that so many times. andragogy? i am intrigued... never heard of it. love the birds! take care
    cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am sorry to hear of your challenging weeks but hope you have better weeks ahead! Your pictures are quite lovely!
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  18. My good wishes and thoughts are sent to you as well, Nil. Certainly we have all heard of the many stresses being placed upon educators at every level now, but to then have to deal with redoing a recorded lesson and an unruly student. As a previous commenter said and these are college students? Perhaps the stress is also affecting them? Hope the family situation is resolved satisfactorily as these situations can be stressful as dealing with money usually is for many.

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻