It's already June! This is the 3rd week of summer semester. Time passes way too quickly.
I've been experimenting with the air fryer. I baked chicken, and fried eggplant slices. I also tried toasting Cuban bread, but I got the timing wrong.
| Fried eggplant salad and baked chicken. |
Last week I crocheted a placemat using granny rectangle pattern. I added a shell border, but couldn't get equal number of shells on the two sides. 😐 The rectangle is not straight either. I learned from a YouTube video that if you flip the side at the end of each row, it should give you a prefect rectangle. I'm going to try it next time.
![]() |
| Granny rectangle placemat. |
I'm doing another experiment in the kitchen. 😀 I'm making salt preserved lime using used lime. I saw the recipe in a Facebook group. I collect lime halves and salt in jar, keep it in the fridge as I add more lime, and dry in the sun.
![]() |
| Trying to make preserved limes. |
The other day I saw this bug in the yard. Does anyone know what it is?
![]() |
| A good bug? Or a bad one? |
This morning I picked elderberries. There are more on top branches, but I was too lazy to get the ladder out. I have some frozen elderberries from last year's crop, so I plan to make cordial.
![]() |
| Elderberries. |
There are several passion fruits on the vine. Everyday I find several unripe fruits on the ground, bitten by squirrels. 😕
![]() |
| Passion fruits. |
Today I completed all modules of my andragogy class. As the final project, I created a syllabus for one of my online classes and added new assignments using the tools learned from the course.





I like the idea of making preserved limes. Are you going to add lime juice to the jar?
ReplyDeleteHi earthmotherwithin. The recipe on Facebook doesn’t call for lime juice, but I plan to add some tomorrow. That’s how my grandma used to make preserved limes. 😊
DeleteI remember my mother making preserved lime and, later, preserved lemon because we had lemon trees in our garden and not lime trees. Looks like you are enjoying your air fryer. Too bad about the squirrels
ReplyDeleteOops! my comment published itself before I was done writing it! I meant to say, too bad the squirrels were breaking off your unripe passion fruits!
ReplyDeleteHope the rest of the semester goes by quickly so you can look forward to the summer break!
Bless, because I teach this summer, I only had one week break between spring and summer semesters, and there'll be two week break between summer and fall. Still, I teach only 4 classes now, so I don't feel busy. :)
DeleteYou are always so wonderfully productive. Where do you find the time?
ReplyDeletexx
Oh Joy, I am not always productive. :) I spent hours on the sofa, reading. Sometimes I get into a work mode and can be pretty productive.
DeleteYour little critter looks like a stink bug to me, not sure what they might be called there. I've never done anything to get rid of them, not sure if the cause problems, just was always careful not to touch them or get them on me, they live up to their name!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteNanette, I learned it was a nymph of a leaf-footed bug, related to stink bugs. I will be careful not to touch them! Hehee
DeleteInteresting name.....leaf-footed bug.
DeleteIt looks like you are getting to grips with your air fryer - the chicken looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteI enjoy trying the air fryer. Today I made falafel. :)
DeleteThe limes do sound interesting, Nil. I like lime flavor too. I like to add a splash of it to my chicken fajitas.
ReplyDeleteSounds like things are really growing there. Hope you do get some rain. It's been dry here and we could use some too.
Today is a rainy day here. I hope you too get some rain over there Belinda.
DeleteThat looks like a "stink bug" to me.
ReplyDeleteI learned it's a nymph of leaf-footed bug, closely related to stink bugs. :)
DeleteDon't know about that bug, but it is very pretty in a buggy kind of way! You seem to be getting a lot of use out of the air fryer. Let's all hope this hurricane season is a mild one.
ReplyDeleteOh I really hope it's going to be a calm hurricane season. :)
DeleteI have preserved lemons like that before, but never thought to try with times.
ReplyDeleteThe air fryer takes a lot of trial and error. I finally learned to try a much lesser time and lower temp but have things figured out mostly!
Anne, yes it takes sometime to figure out timing & temperature. I did burn some food, and now always start with less time. :)
DeleteI love your crocheted placemat. Don't worry about crocheting perfectly. If it's perfect, it looks machine-made.:-) I don't know what kind of bug that is, but let's hope it's not a bad one!
ReplyDeleteHehee my crocheted items are always unique. I usually make at least one mistake in each item. :)
DeleteThe bug is a type of leaf-footed bug, its nymph stage.
Mr. Bug looks a lot like our stink bugs here. My 3-year-old grandson has proclaimed them 'yucky.' LOL! // I don't know anyone with an air fryer but your chicken sure looks deeeelicious! // I think your crocheted placemat looks perfect the way it is, Nil!! Great job!! -- Diana
ReplyDeleteDiana, I'm so glad to see your new blog. I wondered what happened to you, because after I came back from my 3 week break, I couldn't find your blog and there was no way to send you a message.
DeleteThank you. :) I too like my imperfect placemat. :)
I love the placemat as it is :)
ReplyDeleteYou have a good crop of elderberries. I was keeping a look out for the flowers earlier in the week but it's too early just yet. Perhaps in a few weeks. Then I expect it wont be long before I'm gathering berries - the year is going fast. X
The elderberry tree was full of flowers several weeks ago, but I was too busy with classes. Today I made cordial. :)
DeleteI hope you have elderberry flowers very soon. :)