Last week was a rainy one. It was still very humid, but I managed to do some yard work.
I decided to plant dwarf Ixora in the front flower bed. Initially I thought of planting some Florida native perennials there, but I couldn't find anything suitable.
I also planted two Norfolk pines in big pots.
Papaya trees are not doing well. I'm not sure why, but every fruit is infested with worms. π¬ They have one or two small holes on them, and worms inside. Yikes! I think some type of fly lays eggs in them. Now I just toss them in the yard waste bin.
Passion vine is full of fruits. I still have frozen pulp from the last season, so I've been adding it to fruit salads and smoothies. I am going to make a big batch of passion fruit curd and freeze several jars.
After reading fictions for weeks, I downloaded a non fiction recommended by a colleague - "The War on Normal People" by Andrew Yang. I like it so far.
I've been crocheting a summer top. At this speed, it will take at least a couple of years to finish the project. π
There are not many exciting things to report. π Other than teaching 4 summer courses this summer has been a really low key one so far. After a couple of really hectic semesters, I really enjoy this downtime.
Have a wonderful week, everyone. Stay safe. πΌπ»πΌ
XXX
Nil



I think Norfolk pines are lovely. I have a huge pot that is looking for an occupant. I had not thought of those, but will be looking for one to plant!
ReplyDeleteOne of my neighbors has a huge Norfolk pine and it looks so pretty. I also planted one in the front yard, but it died. So I decided to keep these two in pots. :)
DeleteI am always in awe of photos of birds. I never seem to be able to catch them! I am a reader too! I will check out that book. It looks interesting. Have a cozy afternoon. It is cooler and rainy here in PA.
ReplyDeleteI love cool and rainy days. Perfect for reading and a hot cup of tea. :)
DeleteToo bad about the papaya being infested! But, how lovely to have all those passion fruits! Beautiful color on the summer top being crocheted. I'm glad you are having some down time, this summer; rest up before the fall semester starts! Enjoy the week ahead, Nil.
ReplyDeleteIf you lived close by I’d give a basket full of passion fruits. Just this evening I picked up 7. π
Delete4 Summer courses - wow! That doesn't sound like slowing down :-) Bet your yard is looking wonderful, even if ornery little worms are finding your fruits.
ReplyDeleteI usually teach 8 classes (7 different courses) Lady Locust, so teaching only 4 feels like a walk in the park. π
DeleteYour suet feeder caught my eye. Do you make your own suet? If so, I'd be interested in your recipe. I live in the mid-Atlantic area and we make our own suet with peanut butter but it tends to melt in the summer so we usually stop feeding (mostly woodpeckers) during the summer. I'm really interested to know what you fill yours with that withstands the heat. Thanks!
ReplyDeletePS I always enjoy your pics!
Hi Bobi, I use store bought suet. I didn’t think of making it at home. π
DeleteHaving down time to relax and unwind after your hectic teaching semester and online courses is not a bad thing for you, Nil. Sorry to read about the worms in the papayas, how disappointing for you. Hope the pine trees do well.
ReplyDeleteYes Beatrice. I didn’t work in summer until last year. It’s nice to have more free time once a year, though the pay check is lower. π
DeleteTeaching 4 courses sounds like a lot but I suppose it is less time consuming if you are used to teaching 8! I love the colour and the stitch you've chosen for the crocheted top.
ReplyDeleteIt’s a lot less time consuming, Eileen. Last several semesters were really hectic because of the switch to online teaching.
DeleteThat book title is funny lol
ReplyDeleteHi Nil, Glad to hear you are getting some downtime. That book sounds interesting. Too bad about the worms. That's a bummer.
ReplyDelete