Sunday, June 13, 2021

Weekly Update

 

Rain lilies

Tickseed flowers and rain lilies


Almost three years ago I decided not to eat cereal for breakfast. I did that after reading several articles about arsenic in different brands of cereal, including the one I had been eating. For some reason, last week I had a craving for corn flakes. I thought it would go away, but I kept thinking about corn flakes and cold milk too much, finally I bought a small box. 😊 


My neighbor had a yard sale. I bought this tray for 50 cents, and two pieces of fabric for $1 each. I plan to make a dress from one, and have no plans for the other yet. 

After a couple of days of rain, it's again too hot and humid. The other day I picked 6 different types of leaves from the backyard to sautΓ©. Mainly katuk (Sauropus androgynus) and passion leaves, and little amounts of water spinach, purslane, sweet potato leaves and the last two leeks.


This is the newest addition to the backyard. This is the mailbox that came with the house. I replaced it with a lockable one, and this was in the patio for several years. Now it stores small yard tools and a pair of gloves.


I'm not sure what these flowers are, but aren't they so pretty?


I made lentil patties in the air fryer. They tasted better than the deep fried ones. I'm so glad I bought an air fryer because I use less oil now. I also baked cauliflower in the air fryer, but forgot to take a photo. 😊 I'm sure I can do all these things in the regular oven, but the air fryer takes a lot less time.

Air fried lentil patties

With the reduced summer workload, I've been reading a lot. I'm thinking of going on a day trip with a friend, but we haven't finalized a date yet.

I hope I'll be able to visit Mom this December at least for two weeks. I really miss seeing her. We do see each other weekly on video chats, but that's not the same. 
 

I hope you all have a wonderful week. Stay safe everyone. 🌼🌻

XXX

Nil

16 comments:

  1. The flowers are all really beautiful and I love my air fryer too - it wasn't cheap but it really earns its space. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. your lentil patties look tasty, and that's a great use for your old mailbox. it's good to recycle isn't it? hope your week goes well.
    cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. have you decided which email subs service to go with in july? I'm going to try Follow.it. I hope it works! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your flowers are so pretty. What you call tickseed (most likely the real name) is what we call black eyed Susan's
    Your mailbox idea is just brilliant and I am going to follow your lead!
    Thirdly I love, love, love the air fryer. I use it for just about everything and assume this summer I will use it even more since it does not heat the kitchen like my regular over does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful you have planned a trip to see your family. It sounds like the air fryer was the perfect purchase for you. I had to buy a new coffee maker last week and spent a while looking at the air fryers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep hearing such great reviews of air fryers, I really must think about getting one myself.

    Love the mailbox idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Airfrying does look healthy option. Gotta try it more often. Your yard sale deals are really good. I liked the tray and flower images are the best! So warm and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lilies are beautiful.

    I've sold my air fryer. I just didn't have room for it - it was too big for me really - but the real problem was that I never thought to use it and I haven't missed it since it has gone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, those rain lilies look so pretty! The purple flowered plant is Oxalis - it is sometimes known as wood sorrel. It is sometimes considered a weed while some varieties have been cultivated as ornamental plants. It is also edible and has a sour taste due to the oxalic acid in them.

    Yum! You made vadei! I think I am going to consider investing in an air fryer, myself! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your lentil patties look delicious. I really hope you will get the chance to visit your mum this year. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your lentil patties look so good, I can hear my tummy rumble. We don't have an air fryer but I am sure it would be very useful to reduce the use of fat, even shallow frying takes quite a lot. Such a good use for an old mailbox, very practical. It keeps your tools dry and you'll always know where they are. I keep losing my little trowel because I am a bit lazy with tidying when I garden.... I really hope you will be able to see your mum in December, I am sure she misses you as much as you do miss her. Enjoy your reading, it sounds blissful to have the time to read more than you would during the academic year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Nil, The air fryer sounds really cool. You always make such excellent use of everything. I would like to get a locking mailbox, too. I hope you get to go visit your mom in December. I bet she really misses seeing you in person, too. I just read an article about how many people are traveling again. Enjoy your day trip...those are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All the flowers now in your yard are very lovely, Nil. I know what you mean that when you think of a food to eat then you must have some, like the cornflakes. I am starting to wish we had more counter space as the air fryer seems to be working out so well for you, but alas it would just be another appliance to store and take out when needed. For now, I am good with the small countertop Breville oven when not using the range oven or stovetop. It's nice to read that you are planning to visit your family before year end. We just returned from doing that in NJ.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nil, your Rain lilies are beautiful. And the greens you picked from your yard look so good and fresh. hope you enjoy your reading time. The lentil patties look so good. I need to try that recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Someone beat me to saying the purple flowers are oxalis. The western part of our state considers them toxic weeds and in the east a few places sell them as ornamental. The tickseed in our area are called brown-eyed susan (the bigger, darker variety are our black-eyed susan. Amazing what a difference in classification a few states makes, huh. Not sure I'd like pursalane (we spell it that way here)... it's a toxic weed here. You may have my serving lol. Blessings to you, Nil!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you get to go see your mom. Video helps but you can't taste her cooking via internet :-) Those things are meaningful.

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻