Tuesday, January 18, 2022

First Purple Yam!

 After last Wednesday's classes, I had almost a week off because of MLK holiday. I did have online office hours, but the first week was not very busy. I planned so many things for the long weekend, but nothing happened. I blame the weather!  We've been having a cold front. This morning it was in high 40s and that's COLD in Florida. πŸ˜ƒ

I dug my very first purple yam (Dioscorea alata, also known as Ube). It was not a huge one, but it took me about 45 minutes to carefully dig it out. It weighs a bit over 5 lbs (over 2.3 kg).


The other day I bought this vegetable from an Asian grocery store. The label said 'Thai Okra' but when cooked  it actually tasted like a squash. I didn't like it. πŸ˜•


I still couldn't pick a color for the bathroom. I do have several colors in mind now, but can't decide on one. These are all different shades of blue & green. 

I like the color of the wash cloth (top left). I'm not sure what the exact name of the color is, as it was a gift from a forum member.  The paint guy at Home Depot said it was difficult to match because of the weave. The closest he could do was the one in bottom right. I like a more bluish tone, so I will spend one more week searching. 😊 


Last week's to-do list:

  1. Re-pot  and ferlize geraniums.
  2. Harvest purple yam.
  3. Sow winged bean seeds.
  4. Measure sofa dimensions for re-upholstering. 
  5. Iron clothes.

This week's to-do list:
  1. Measure sofa dimensions for re-upholstering. 
  2. Sow winged bean seeds.
  3. Declutter a bookshelf.
  4. Mend clothes.

Take care everyone. Stay safe! 🌻🌻🌻

XXX

Nil

14 comments:

  1. I like the color on the upper left. It’s so pretty. I hope you find what you’re looking for. Your yam is a big one! I’ve read about those purple ones and how sweet they are. I need to grow some of those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a fairly big yam to me! The Thai okra is actually a type of squash, in the same family as loofahs. Pretty paint colors! Some paint companies such as Sherman Williams have their paint colors on their websites - you might be able to check their blue/green hues and see if you can find a match for the knitted washcloth; hope that helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one gigantic yam!
    Try Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore for a paint match. I have always had really good luck with both of them matching colors from fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like a more blue-y green more than a yellow-y green too. I hope you find the perfect match.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am trying to imagine what a big yam would look like. 2.3 kg seems huge! Ah the pains of finding a perfect paint colour.... it is difficult. I tend to get carried away with testers on the walls I want to paint. I remember once using 15 testers in different shades of light grey. To me, they looked all different. To my husband they just looked grey. Colour perception is so personal. Take your time because if you don't find the right shade, you will probably never quite like a hasty choice. I could write a book about this 😊.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Huge yam! I didn't know there was a Thai Okra but I probably wouldn't like it either. I don't think that bottom color looks much like your sample at all---too green. Good luck finding the right color. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I much prefer purple yams to the orange ones. That's a big one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a big yam! I like the tone of the washcloth too. Don't they mix colours for you, like they do in Australia? I've bought sample pots of various pre-mixed tones to paint on before buying a tub of paint. Usually it has been manually coloured as well, like the samples.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! I love all your color choices! And wow! That is an awesome yam! Hope you have a cozy evening. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do let us know how you prepared the purple yam, Nil, because it was a large one and perhaps you have a couple of meal plans for it. I liked the mint green colors shown, adding in some blue would give you a turquoise color and I wondered if you are thinking of doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is cold for Florida, Nil. I good excuse to knit or crochet shawls and sweaters. I hope you were able to wear you wool purple socks. They are warm. I love that color of green that you are trying to match. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE yams!! That is awesome you grew it yourself!!! Good luck on choosing colors - there are JUST way too any options! HAHA! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have recently started eating purple yams and like them better than the orange. I've been eating it for breakfast. I steam it, peel it, and mash it with a banana and top with cinnamon. So good and healthy. I like the color next to the washcloth for the bathroom It's really bright and cheerful !

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻