We had several cold days. I've lived in Florida for over 15 years, and this is the first winter I saw frost for the first time, twice in a week!
| Frost on the windshield. |
| Painted bunting - a male and two females. |
Isn't the male bunting so beautiful? They are about 5 1/2 inches long.
| Two female red-winged black birds (top), two male painted buntings and a female painted bunting. |
I guess they like this cold weather. 😊
How is weather in your area? Is it cold?
Take care everyone. Stay safe.
XXX
Nil
I heard about the cold snap in Florida on the news! Stay warm! Those male painted buntings are very pretty and colorful!
ReplyDeleteIt's back to warmer weather now, Bless. :)
DeleteNot so cold here in south eastern England. We get a frost or two now and again but it's generally nowhere near freezing. Have you had much snow?
ReplyDeletexx
We don't get snow here, Joy. I read that the last time this area had snow was in 1977. :)
DeleteVery rarely temperature drops below zero, but not every winter.
We're used to frosts over here in the UK but it must be strange if you've never experienced it before. It's chilly here but no snow here (South West England) yet, thank goodness, though it never lasts for long in this area. The sun is trying to shine through the clouds as I write this but it's still really windy and the garden fence is struggling to stay upright ... I'll be glad when it's replaced!
ReplyDeleteThe birds are amazing, so colourful.
Not having snow must be nice, Eileen. No shoveling or driving in snow. :)
DeleteIt really was strange to see frost on my windscreen. I'm glad that's the extent of our winter so far. :)
Yes, it is cold here at 17 degrees. My friend who lives in Jacksonville, Florida called the other day and said it was freezing there at 36 degrees. I know we have at least another month of these cold temperatures. Hopefully we will make it through without too much bitter cold. The birds at your feeder are beautiful! I love watching birds at our feeders. I hope you’re having a great week, Nil.
ReplyDeleteWow! 17F is way too cold for me.
DeleteIt's warm again here.
Stay warm, Belinda.
It must be strange to have frosts. Summers, where I live in Australia, can be up to 40°C (104F) and Winters down to -2°C (28.4) but the wind chill factor can lower that a degree or so. Frosty grass looks beautiful in the sun but the frost burnt tips of vegetables and ornamental plants can be worrying. I need to cover my Tahitian Lime tree with overhanging shade cloth and mulch it thickly with straw, in Winter, or there's a possibility it wouldn't be alive when the weather warmed up. I love the male painted buntings as they are so colourful while their female partners are feathered in more camouflage colourings to blend with the foliage.
ReplyDeleteWe rarely have very cold winters here in Florida. Once in a while temperature drops below zero, but not every year.
DeleteStill, when it does, it's a lot of work for me because most of my plants are tropical. :)
It is 93F/34C today for me, opposite to you but I dont like too cold and snow is not my friend
ReplyDelete34C is hot! We too have hot and humid summers here.
DeleteI'm also glad we don't have snow, because I'd hate driving in snow. I like watching snow from inside a warm house. :)
It's been cold, yes, down to 18F, and snow/ice is coming Friday! (Northern TX.) The painted buntings are gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteStay warm Priscilla.
DeleteI used to live closer to Houston for a couple of years and we had several cold days with a little bit of snow every winter. In Northern TX you must have a lot of snow.
We're getting ice and snow right now and the temperature is 20° with a "feels like" of -10°. By the time it's over on Thursday we're supposed to have near a foot of snow. We'll see what happens. Thank you for you prayers for my son's knee surggery tomorrow! Much appreciated! When we had bird feeders, we always had buntings, orioles, cardinals, and the like. I miss having a bird feeder... not sure the landlord would like one afixed to the window of our apartment on the third floor lol. Take care, Nil! Blessings!
ReplyDeleteI hope your son's surgery went well, Diana.
DeleteHehee, I don't think your downstairs' neighbors would like to have bird feeders above them.
The buntings are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteHow did the papaya trees fare? It was cold here but now it feels like spring, at least for the next few days.
I think big papaya trees will live. Though their leaves are all brown and droopy now. One small tree looks dead. :(
DeleteThose buntings are beautiful. It's cold here as well. I'm ready for some warmer weather to arrive. Xx
ReplyDeleteStay warm Jules.
DeleteXXX
On birding trips in Florida the painted bunting has always been one of our highlights. We had to wait patiently to see it -- you are lucky that these beauties showed up at your feeder!
ReplyDeletebest... mae at maefood.blogspot.com
This is the first time painted buntings came to my backyard.
DeleteI hope they will visit every year. :)
Nil,
ReplyDeleteI'm in South Florida. It got pretty cold here but not freezing. One morning it was 44 degrees! What a thrill to see those beautiful buntings at your feeder. I love seeing interesting birds.
Even 44F is too cold for me, hehee.
DeleteBird feeders attract lots of new birds, especially in winter. Today I saw a tufted titmouse. :)
What beautiful little birds. Hopefully the temperatures are starting to warm up for you by now. Any iguanas falling on you?
ReplyDeleteHehee no, Anita. I haven't seen any iguanas in this area. :D
DeleteGood to hear from you Nil! We are in the NW so snow, frost, ice - we get it all. I know that's not the norm down there. At least you have some gorgeous birds to peep at from inside where it's warm.
ReplyDeleteYes, I love bird watching. :)
DeleteStay warm, Lady Locust.
Bonjour Nil
ReplyDeleteIl a fait très froid aussi en France, surtout en Auvergne où j'habite, c'est une région de moyenne montagne.
Nous avons des mangeoires pour les oiseaux dans notre jardin et un rouge gorge attend mon mari chaque matin pour le petit déjeuner !!
Nous avons également des pies et des moineaux..
C'est un hiver à rester au chaud avec une tasse de thé et un bon livre!
Isabelle
Bonjour Isabelle,
DeleteL'observation des oiseaux est très excitante, n'est-ce pas ?
Je n'ai pas vu de merles ou de pies ici.
Peut-être qu'ils aiment le froid ?
Oui, l'hiver est idéal pour rester au chaud à la maison avec un bon livre et une tasse de thé chaud. :)
Reste au chaud, Isabelle. Prends soin.
those birds are so cute. i didn't realise you get frost in florida! we are having very hot and humid days here in brisbane. looking forward to winter. cheers sherry
ReplyDeleteI think we both have very similar summers. Hot and humid.
DeleteWe very rarely get frost in this area, not every year.
Stay cool, Sherry.
Pas des tartes, ah ah...je voulais ecrire des pies. Il y a des pies en Floride ?
ReplyDeleteHehee. Google l'a bien traduit.
DeletePas de pies en Floride, Isabelle. :)
Oh my goodness! Those birds!! I have never seen them before!! Beautiful! Stay warm!
ReplyDeleteI hope you are staying warm too Billie Jo. I saw the photos on your blog the other day. It looks like winter wonderland with all that snow.
DeleteIf we were home in NH we would be getting another winter storm to follow the 9 inch snowfall from last weekend, Nil. However, we are currently on a road trip with the destination of Orlando, FL, and states in between to and from there. We rarely see frost on our car windshields as we park in an underground parking garage at the mill apts. but, years ago when we lived in NJ and later VA we would have to clear the windshields of snow or ice…we don’t miss doing that.
ReplyDeleteOh I can't imagine having to clean windshields and driveways of snow!
DeleteHave a safe trip, Beatrice!
Hi Nil, What gorgeous colors those birds are! It's wild to hear about your cold weather. So unusual for Florida. It's interesting that you haven't had snow. I hope the fruit trees make it.
ReplyDeletePapaya tree already has new leaves. :)
DeleteSo I think it will be ok.