Friday, August 9, 2024



Last week I re-did my monthly budget. Everything is more expensive now, and because of the extremely hot weather in Florida, my electric bill is very high. I went over each budget category and re-adjusted the amounts. I had to reduce monthly savings slightly.  I noticed that one online bank had reduced their interest rates on savings accounts, so I transferred savings to another online bank with higher rates.

I made juice from frozen passion fruit pulp and elderberries from the last year's harvest. I am not sure what happened, but the huge passion vine I had along the side fence had died while I was out of the country. So there are no more home grown passion fruits until I plant new vines.

Passion fruit and elderberry juice.

I made a snack using dates, oat flour and nut butter. You simply mix everything in a food processor with a pinch of salt. No need to bake. I found the recipe on YouTube. There are several variations of this - with almonds, cashews etc. 

Dates & oat balls.


I made two beanies for a friend.




Fall semester starts very soon. I teach the usual load - 5 lectures and 3 labs. Two are fully online. 
I have been writing new syllabi and updating assignments, and want to finish everything this weekend. I also completed 6, so two more to go.  😊

Take care everyone. Stay safe.🌻🌻🌻

XX

Nil

14 comments:

  1. Nil, you are keeping busy. Our passionfruit vine died too for some reason. Perhaps the possums ate it 😂🤣 Chel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning I checked the dead vine and saw it had completely rotten near the root. Maybe it's normal for them to die after 6-7 years. Not sure.

      I hope you get to plant new vines, Chel.


      Delete
  2. I agree, prices have really escalated. I didn't realize that you live in Florida.The two beanies that you made for a friend came out really well. The date and oat balls sound like a healthy energizing snack. I'll have to give them a try! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made your tofu scramble this morning. It's one of my favorite breakfast recipes now. 😊

      Delete
    2. Wow that's great Nil.. thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  3. Your plants look so healthy. Sorry about the passion vine. Nice hats! The snack looks good..love dates. andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been very productive. Sorry to hear about your passionfruit vine dying. Hope you can grow another one, soon. I had planned to redo my budget, too, but, I haven't done so, yet. My water bill is high during the summer, but, that is offset by a low natural gas bill. In the winter, the gas bill is higher and the water bill is lower. The beanies you made for your friend look very nice and your date/oats/nut butter snacks sound delicious. Sounds like you'll be busy once classes start. Hope the fall semester goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My water bill remains almost the same throughout the year. Maybe because I don't have a sprinklers. 😊

      Delete
  5. Your reading area looks so calm and welcoming, and all your plants look like they're thriving.
    Those beanies are great. Your friend is going to love them. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The date balls look good and such an easy recipe, which I like. Your passion and elderberry juices look good too. That's sad that your passion fruit vine died. I hope you can get some more in soon. Best of luck for this school year, I hope it is a very good one for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s unfortunate that prices keep going up for necessities, but good that you found another bank with higher rates, Nil. I have never checked into moving monies online and remember when banks issued books that recorded deposits. Hope the upcoming fall semester will be a good one and it sounds like a busy one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keeping busy, for sure. I need to make myself some elderberry juice...thanks for the reminder! Those little snacks look yummy too:)

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻