Saturday, August 26, 2017

Hungarian Plum Cake

I saw this recipe on one of my favorite blogs TheAwakenedSoul. Stephenie's cake looked so good I had to make it. When I saw fresh plums at ALDI I bought a bag, planning to make the plum cake this weekend. I did several adjustments to use what I had at home. For example, I had just over one cup of gluten free flour mix and the recipe calls for 1 cup of flour, so I used gluten free flour. I normally use brown sugar for tea and coffee, and that's what I used in the recipe. I also used a small round cake pan and therefore only 6 plums. You can find Stephenie's original recipe here.

Ingredients:
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup of brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup of gluten free flour mix
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
6 plums, halved and pitted


1/4 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder for sprinkling




Heat the oven to 400F (~ 200C).
In a bowl mix sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and mix well. Now add flour, baking powder and lemon zest. Combine everything scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula. Pour into a greased pan. This is a small quantity, so I used a 6" round pan, about 2 inches deep. Press plum halves into the batter slightly, cut side up. Sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon powder mix on top. Bake 40 minutes or until plums are soft and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.

The cake easily came out of the pan, and using two plates I transferred it on to a small plate.



Thank you Stephenie for the recipe! This is a keeper.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Nil, I'm glad it worked out for you. Your photos are lovely. Thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think regular flour would have made the cake softer. I still like the gluten free version and am thinking of adding chopped plums to my next cake. It won't be as authentic as your recipe, but I like experimenting. :)

      Delete
    2. This looked so good that I bought plums today to try it.

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻