I have three days left before going back to work. So I have been trying to get as much housework as possible done.
Initially it was going well, then the AC stopped working. I had a burnt capacitor changed. At the suggestions of a professional AC mechanic at the parts store, a friend and I also cleaned the filters of the air handler and the compressor. Now it works in the morning and then starts slowing down in the afternoon when the outside temperature is high. The weather is very hot and humid here, so not having a properly working AC is hard.
Good news is that I found a lovely dresser at a thrift store for $35. It perfectly fits my mirror. The mirror is a garage sale find, given to me by a friend over a decade ago. The colors are slightly different, so I bought two cans of spray paint and painted the dresser. It's drying at the moment, and then I have to add drawer knobs back.
| My new to me dresser before the paint job. The drawers are so useful because I don't have a lot of built in storage space. |
My okra and basil seeds have already sprouted. In a week or two I will transplant them. This morning I planted seeds collected from bitter gourd. I don't know if they will sprout, but I always like to experiment. Free seeds are always good.
Another task on the to do list was to fix the broken side fence. I didn't want to install a new fence there, because I want to add a garage later. A can of spray paint covered the rusty areas temporarily and I planted three aloe plants along the fence.
New Malabar spinach plants are growing well. I also trimmed the old ones and place all pots together near the fence.
Last Sunday I made oatmeal and raisin cookies. It was a big batch, but now I have only one cookie left. I should not bake too often. 😊
I have been cooking large batches and freezing portions. This is going to help me when I go back to work. Yesterday I cooked a 5 pound chicken in my rotisserie oven. I will use this in several dishes. Tonight I make a stock with the chicken carcass and vegetable scraps in the slow cooker.
So far I have spent $ 84.57 on groceries, and am still under budget. Yay!!!
So that's my week. Repairs take more time than planned, and there are unexpected snags and expenses. Sometimes I feel that it's three steps forward and two steps back. Then again I think that things are moving forward, albeit slowly.
Now it's time to relax a bit and read all my favorite blogs, and another chapter of Miss Silver.
| Okra. |
| These aloe plants were the babies from a big plant I have in a pot. |
New Malabar spinach plants are growing well. I also trimmed the old ones and place all pots together near the fence.
| Malabar spinach. |
| Oatmeal and raisin cookies. |
So far I have spent $ 84.57 on groceries, and am still under budget. Yay!!!
So that's my week. Repairs take more time than planned, and there are unexpected snags and expenses. Sometimes I feel that it's three steps forward and two steps back. Then again I think that things are moving forward, albeit slowly.
Now it's time to relax a bit and read all my favorite blogs, and another chapter of Miss Silver.
I hope you all have a wonderful week.
XX
Nil
XX
Nil
Your dresser is beautiful. I'd be thrilled with one like that. A great find, especially as the mirror fits perfectly. Cookies never last long in this house either. X
ReplyDeleteYes Jules I was so excited to find that dresser. Fortunately I was able to fit it in my small car, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.
DeleteWhat a good few days you have had, lots of thrifty goings on.
ReplyDeleteYes Marlene, I like thrifty days. More the merrier. :)
DeleteYou've done really well finding that dresser, it's just perfect.
ReplyDeleteEver since you mentioned bitter gourd I've seen it pop up in recipes. Maybe I'm just noticing it now.
Enjoy your next three days. You've achieved so much around your home and garden, it's very inspiring to read.
Congratulations on your budget too and progress is progress. You're moving in the right direction.
Your cookies look yum.
Kylie
Thanks Kylie. If you ever try a new bitter gourd recipe, please share on your blog.
DeleteWell done. All that work has saved you lots of money and given the satisfaction of a job well done too.
ReplyDeleteThank you. Yes, not only DIY work saves money, I also find it so satisfying.
DeleteI was in a conversation with a young, single man who eats out EVERY day because he can't cook. It reminds me of another time when a mom was telling me her week in cooking dinners (we were sharing ideas), and what she called "cooking" was heating up precooked, packaged, and frozen supermarket foods. Your cooking ability is saving you SO MUCH money. No doubt your meals are healthier, too, haha, unless you eat too many of your delicious cookies all at once.:-)
ReplyDeleteI'd like to think I eat healthy food, but I cant resist cookies and dark chocolate. :)
DeleteI love your dresser Nil, what a great find! You've been so busy sorting your garden too, and "making do and mending", you'll head back to work feeling very accomplished. I really like bitter gourd too, you've got me thinking I must look for some seeds.
ReplyDeleteThanks Nanette. How do you cook bitter gourds?
DeleteIf they're young and smallish, I take the seeds out and chop into bite size pieces, then just stir fry them, with some garlic, ginger,chilli maybe a bit of turmeric and cumin. If larger I parboil them then stir fry. Yummy with hot chapattis and a potatoe and pea curry! How do you cook them?
DeleteNanette, I stir fry bitter gourds adding the same ingredients as you do, then add a small amount of coconut milk and cook another 3-4 minutes.
DeleteOne of my aunts make raw bitter gourd sambal. Slice very thinly, sprinkle salt and squeeze out the juice. Then add finely chopped shallots, green chilies, lime juice. She sometimes add a small amount of freshly grated coconut.
Your aunt's sambal sounds delicious, will try that. Adding some coconut milk to th stir fry sounds good too.
DeleteThat dresser is exquisite! You must have been so excited when you saw how well it went with the mirror. I love pieces that have charm and character. I've never spray painted furniture. I'll have to look into that; I have a vintage desk that needs doing. Keep up the great work!
ReplyDeleteStephenie, I sanded the dresser lightly with a fine sand paper before spray painting. Don't use coarse ones, I learned my lesson and had to re-sand with a finer one. It should feel smooth.
DeleteNil I quite like the 'before' photo of your dresser but I guess a paint job would have spruced it up. All the best with your return to work.
ReplyDeleteThanks Chel. XX
DeleteWow! Great find on the desk/dresser. Hope you get your AC going properly. Also, your plants all look so happy and healthy.
ReplyDeleteThanks Lady Locust. The AC is working fine now. :)
DeleteLove the dresser and love your blog
ReplyDeleteThank you Deb. Do you blog as well?
DeleteHi Nil, I have just found your blog and I am enjoying reading it. Love the dresser,
ReplyDeleteCheers
Hi Chookasmum, thank you so much.
Delete