Friday, August 18, 2017

Sautéed Cabbage

This is a quick and easy way to cook cabbage. Normally I chop cabbage manually, but you can also use a food processor.


Ingredients:
1/2  small green cabbage
Salt
A pinch of turmeric powder
A dash of red chili flakes or freshly ground black pepper
1-2 table spoons of coconut oil
1/4 tea spoon of mustard seeds
1/4 tea spoon of cumin seeds
A sprig of curry leaves


Wash and roughly chop cabbage. I normally cut the entire cabbage into 4 pieces and use only a half. I find that by cutting into quarters, it is easier to remove the tough part of the core.
Put chopped cabbage into a bowl and add salt, turmeric powder and chili flakes /  black pepper.
Mix well.
Chopped cabbage with salt, turmeric powder and red chili flakes.
Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Keep the heat to medium/low so seeds don't burn. Once mustard seeds starts popping, add curry leaves. I keep the lid on so mustard seeds don't jump out of the pan. It's a headache to clean when it's all over the stove top and sometimes on the floor.

Mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves in coconut oil.
Now add the cabbage and mix well. Cook about 5 minutes. Once cabbage starts wilting, add a splash of water if it is too dry. Then cover and cook in low heat until you have the desired texture. I like it a bit crunchy.

Sautéed Cabbage.



13 comments:

  1. Guess what I'll be making when our cabbages are ready. Thanks for the recipe. The kids just love cabbage too and they also like hot/spicy food.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie I'm sure it tastes better with your own home grown cabbage.

      Delete
  2. Sounds great, would be a different way for me to cook it, I'm not sure where I could get the curry leaves though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I didn't have a tree, I used to buy small bags of frozen curry leaves from Indian stores. You can omit it though.

      Delete
  3. My mum used to make this! So good! Thanks for the recipe. I highly recommend a mandolin for chopping cabbage, it gets it really uniform and it's so easy. We got ours from a thrift store :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katrina. I will see if I can find a mandolin, ideally from a thrift store. :)

      Delete
  4. This recipe has come at a useful time because green cabbage is on sale here (southern U.S.). I won't be able to find fresh curry leaves here, so it'd have to be without that flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Priscilla, you can omit curry leaves. Some Indian stores sell frozen ones. I just love the fragrance of fresh curry leaves, so I add them to most dishes. :)

      Delete
  5. Nil, great recipe. I have bought dried curry leaves at Asian food stores. I should just growmy own though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's easy to grow, Chel. But I'm not sure if it can tolerate cold weather.

      Delete
  6. I grew up in a Polish-American household, so I've eaten my fair share of cabbage. I love it. But I've never had it with this set of spices. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve made Polish cabbage rolls once, and loved it. This one is spicy though. 😊

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻