Saturday, August 26, 2017

A Rainy Weekend

This weekend is rainy. We are lucky that it's just rain. Texas is experiencing serious flooding due to hurricane Harvey. My heart goes out to people who are suffering. Hurricane season just began, and I hope there will be no major ones coming this way.

Friday I went to a Habitat for Humanity store and found several really good deals. I was looking for a thick glass container for soap making, and found one for $4. I also found two books for $1 each.

In the evening I started making a patch to plant okra, but it started raining so I had to stop. I like rainy days. Especially when I am home. I would make a cup of tea, and read a book. I have two book on my iPad right now; Modern Pioneering by Georgia Pellegrini and Grow More with Less by Vincent A. Simeon.
A cup of tea and a slice of lemon pound cake. The prefect way to spend a rainy evening.
This morning I got up early and finished the okra patch before rain came back. I had a bird feeder installed in the back yard. Birds are checking it out, they are very curious but no one was brave enough to land on the perch yet. Perhaps they see me watching in the kitchen.
Okra patch and new bird feeder.
I have several bitter gourd plants sprouted from store bought gourds. I transplanted two in a bigger pot. I ran out of compost, so I have to buy a bag sometime soon. The soil here is very sandy and I'm a little by little adding compost using kitchen scraps. Still I have to buy compost and cow manure from the store. Gardening can be expensive, so I hope to learn new tips from the books I've been reading.
Bitter gourd.
While cleaning planters, I found an old metal container. I remember it came in a kit with basil and tomato seeds. I didn't want to plant anything in it, so I painted it with metallic paint and now it holds pens and flashlights on the kitchen table.
Everything has a proper place now.
Later in the afternoon I made a plum cake. I found the recipe on one of my favorite blogs TheAwakenedSoul. If you haven't read it stop by,  Stephenie is a very talented soap maker and a knitter.
Hungarian Plum Cake.
I also made two batches of deodorant. These have shea butter, vegetable glycerin and baking powder. I have been using homemade deodorant for over two years now. They are aluminum free and less expensive than the ones at the health food store. A small jar lasts about three months. I have a tiny spoon to scoop out a small amount.
Homemade deodorant.
The weekend is not over yet, and I'm looking forward to a relaxing Sunday, may be with a bit of cooking and paperwork.  Hope you all are having a great weekend.

XX
Nil

10 comments:

  1. We are having a very wet day today however I've managed to compost and mulch two sections of the veggie patch in between the rain. Just like you I also need to purchase compost occasionally as our system still needs work. It is on my agenda. Today I used mushroom compost and still have a few sections to go, Love being inside cosy and warm now knowing a good part of the garden has been done. Going to make a pot of herbal tea.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it gets expensive when you have to purchase compost and manure which I have had to do myself. Your plum cake looks very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Deb. I've started making compost just recently so I have a long way to go.

      Delete
  3. Nil, I like what you did with the little metal container, so cute. And your plum cake looks REALLY GOOD! Have a lovely rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we put out bird feeders up it took a long time for them to use it, but they will in the end, they like to suss everything out first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A red cardinal was the first visitor. Now I have mockingbirds, turtle doves and woodpeckers using it, mainly turtle doves. :)

      Delete
  5. We need some wet days here as it's been so dry of late our grass is crunchy underfoot! Your lush green grass is lovely! I like the way you've re-purposed that metal container. I have one similar that was a gift that I've stashed under the house somewheres. I think I'll dig it out and paint it up to use as a pencil tub here in the study. I can never find a pen in the drawer here when I need one!! Thanks for the idea. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻