Sunday, August 20, 2017

A Busy Weekend Before Going Back to Work

After three months I'm ready to go back to work on Monday. So this weekend has been a busy one.
The first thing I did on Saturday was to wash kitchen windows and curtains. I love how I can see the backyard without curtains. Sunlight streaming through branches of the oak tree provides just the right amount of light, not too dark, and not too bright to make the room hot. However at night I'm too scared not to have curtains.

The view from the kitchen window.
When I bought the house, it came with a broken dishwasher. I rarely used dishwashers even when I had ones at previous apartments, so I decided to place a cupboard in that space. A friend found a used cabinet with three drawers and it was just a little bit too high. After cutting the lower portion, it fitted perfectly under the countertop. It still need to be secured, so I will post photos when the project is completed.


Dishwasher is gone! More space for storage now.
I have been cooking large quantities of food for freezing. This will save me a lot of time when I'm busy at work.
Ground turkey and lots of veggies.
Rotisserie chicken.
Broth made from the chicken carcass and veggies.

Leftover rotisserie chicken turned into a salad.

Basil plants have grown a bit, so I transferred several to a larger pot. I wanted to make a small plot for herbs and okra, but didn't have time to prepare the ground.

Basil.

On Monday (August 21st), there will be a total solar eclipse visible to the USA. I was too late to buy special glasses, so I made a pinhole using an empty paper towel tube. We will have special telescopes at work to view the eclipse, but I'll take my pinhole tube too. Hopefully it will not be cloudy.

Pinhole tube to view the solar eclipse.
I stopped at Aldi and bought vegetables and eggs. I like that Aldi now has a small selection of organic vegetables and I even found organic eggs there. The total came to $30.92 and so far I have spent $120.71 on this month's groceries.
  
The weekend tasks are still not over. I have to pack lunch and water bottles for tomorrow, and water plants. As soon as I typed about watering plants I hear thunder outside. It looks like a rain is coming.
Perfect time for a cup of tea!

Hope you all have a great week ahead.

XX
Nil

12 comments:

  1. Hi Nil, Wow! Your meals look scrumptious. It must feel great to have all of that food prepared for the work week. How wonderful that you found a cabinet to fit into that space. I don't have a dishwasher, either. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephenie.
      Today I bought fresh plums from Aldi to make your Hungarian plum cake. I will let you know the results. :) See, you inspire me too.

      Delete
  2. Nil you have certainly been busy since arriving home. Your mum will be missing you I imagine. All the best for the school year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chel.
      I talk to mom at least once a week and thanks to online chats we can see each other as well. Still I know it's not enough for her. :)

      Delete
  3. You have been super busy. Your turkey and veggies will come in handy for so many different dishes and your rotisserie chicken looks very tasty too.
    When our dishwasher died many years ago we never replaced it and haven't looked back. I cook a lot and prefer cleaning up as I go.
    Good on you for being so organised and enjoy those clean windows.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same Kylie. I clean as I go. And most of the time it's only me, so I don't need a dishwasher to clean one plate, a glass and several spoons after a dinner. :)

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful view from your window. Your food looks very tasty would love to see the recipe sometime, and making use of every scrap and making broth, a girl just like myself. I have lots of Basil growing in the greenhouse, one of my favourite herbs. I was just seeing your messages about commenting, I think I am going to add the message about spam and links on mine as I get so much rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marlene, I will add several recipes later. I often forget to take photos while I cook. :)
      I'm still new to blogging, so I don't receive spam, yet. :)

      Delete
  5. Glad you were able to find a cabinet to fit. If ours ever dies or if we ever move, we won't have a dishwasher either. That's a lot of useful space. Your backyard view is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your view out the window is so nice! I'd love to see the kinds of lunches you pack. I bet they are both frugal and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Priscilla, one of these days I will do a post about my lunches. They are mostly leftovers though. :) I know for sure that my lunches from home save me a lot of money.

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻