Friday, December 1, 2017

It's Already December!

It's already December. 30 more days and then it's a brand new year.

By this time last year I was negotiating to buy this house. I still remember the first time I came to see the house. It doesn't have several things I wanted, like a garage, a second bathroom, and a window by the kitchen sink. But it has a separate kitchen with a big window facing the backyard, it is within 5 mile radius from work, and most importantly it was well under my budget. When I went to the backyard and saw the big oak tree and the little lake on the county property I felt as if I were in a rural area, not in the middle of a densely populated city.
The previous owner told me that it was a natural lake with several springs and that as a child he used to swim in the lake and sometimes caught fish. Unfortunately now the water is not clean because the city has connected a drainage ditch.


It took almost three months to complete the purchase. Looking back, I'm glad that I found this house. I'm still fixing things and furnishing rooms slowly. And just this week I harvested my very first home grown broccoli. I should have picked it a bit earlier because one already had started to turn yellow. Oh well, live and learn.  I also picked a couple of bitter gourds.


I sautéed broccoli in olive oil and added chopped garlic, onion and a dash of turmeric powder, black pepper and salt. It was simple, but so delicious. Perhaps it was my imagination, but I think it was tastier than store bought broccoli.

I have several goals for December. I'm almost done making gifts for my friends who celebrate Christmas. When I have winter break in two weeks I will have more time to work in the yard, so I'd like to start a couple of raised beds. I also want to price fence material to build the side fence. It is going to be expensive, and I have been saving money for that. Other than that, I see a lot more reading and sewing during the break.

What are your plans for December?

XX
Nil



15 comments:

  1. Hi Nil, Very nice broccoli. I think that home grown is more tender. Your house sounds like a wise purchase. I plan to knit, grow artichokes, and harvest citrus in December. It's also great hiking weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your artichokes on the blog. How nice that you have the perfect weather to grow them. I love artichokes and fresh ones can be very expensive here.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the story of your house purchase - it must feel really good to have been in for a year, and see what changes you have already been able to make to it. Even harvesting anything is an achievement in such a short time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes when I look back it's hard to believe what I have done within a short period of time.

      Delete
  3. Nil, I have no plans really. My daughter and family won't be coming down from the Outback for Christmas so it will be really quiet for us. I hope you have a nice break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a relaxing Christmas Chel.
      I'm looking forward to my break, but I have still two weeks to go. :)

      Delete
  4. Your home sounds bliss to me, a nice spot but not too far from anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your broccoli looks delicious, well done for growing such a great crop, it's very satisfying isn't it? My December plans include finishing the quilt I'm making and some Christmas gifts, prepare for a fairly low key Christmas with myson and his partner and try to keep up with gardening, it's been so hot and wet the weeds are taking over. Reading, sewing and gardening sounds like an excellent way to spend your break......enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Nanette, I love working in the garden.
      I hope your Christmas gifts are coming along well. Perhaps you can do a post about the quilts once they are done. :)
      Low key Christmas is the best. I feel dizzy when I go to stores these days - crowds, noise, so many sales. I do love Christmas lights though. :)

      Delete
    2. I plan to do a post today on the quilt progress, thanks Nil, love the way you nudge me to get blogging *laughing*.... I usually need a good nudging. I'm not a fan of the stores with their noise and commercialism either, but I love the decorations, especially kitschy or vintage ones I find in the op shops.

      Delete
  6. I had no idea you were in a higher populated area. From your photos, I thought you were in a rural area. Yes, you really found a gem of a house and location! I'm a big goal person, so in December I do some introspecting and come up with goals for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Priscilla, sometimes I sit in my kitchen and watch the birds on the feeder, squirrels on the oak tree and ducks by the lake. It's very quiet and looks so serene. I'm glad I bought this house.
      I like having goals too, but sometimes tend not to follow , for example my new year resolution of doing daily yoga didn't happen yet. :)

      Delete
  7. Where did that time go? I remember you moving into your new home which felt like yesterday. Your broccoli looks so good and I don't believe it's your imagination at all - it would certainly taste better. Your plans sound exciting with the raised beds and also lots of reading. I'll be resting over Christmas so have everything organised and ready to go. All presents purchased and wrapped, seedlings planted and just need looking after, chicken coop all cleaned etc. Looking forward to the rest actually.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so organized Kylie.
      With everything already done you will have time to relax.

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻