After spending 19.5 hours in air and almost the same amount of time at various airports, finally I landed in Sri Lanka. I’m still jet lagged, but it feels amazing to be at home, with mom and sisters.
I really need to find another shorter route to come home. Traveling via Dubai has been the cheapest so far, but one domestic flight and two international ones add up to a very long and tiring trip.
![]() |
| Vesak decorations at Colombo airport.* |
It’s Thursday morning now. It’s a bit rainy and the temperature is around 81°F (27°C). Sister G left for work, so it’s only mom and I are now at home. I don’t have any plans - it feels good to have no daily, weekly plans for a while. Once I am back to my normal sleep schedule though, I should start working on my new course. For now I’m concentrating on mom’s delicious food and long naps. :)
I hope your week is going well.
XX
Nil
*Vesak, the full moon day in May, is the day Buddhists commemorate Buddha’s birth, enlightenment and the passing away. This year it was on May 18th. The airport in Colombo had Buddhist flags and colorful Vesak lanterns to celebrate the day.

I'm so glad to hear you had a safe flight home, Nil. The Vesak lantern decoration looks lovely! I've flown Korean Airlines and Singapore Airlines - but it is still a long flight!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your stay and say hi to your mom from me. Tell her that I said that she has a good daughter. :D
Aww that’s so sweet. I’ll tell mom. :)
DeleteThe last time I checked Singapore Airlines was very expensive. I’ll see how Korean Airlines is. I wonder if I can fly directly from FL to Europe and then take Sri Lankan Airlines. That would cut down one lay over and the domestic flight.
Aahhh a well earned holiday, enjoy it and your family, it always goes too quick. Show us some of your mums food so we can drool
ReplyDeleteHehee I will take some pics later. :)
DeleteEnjoy your family visit, it sounds blissful already x
ReplyDeleteThank you Christina. It feels great to be home. :)
DeleteHave a lovely holiday Nil
ReplyDeleteThank you Earthmotherwithin. :)
DeleteAah, happy homecoming Nil. You sound very content, and your mumma must be so happy to have you there. You could always return to the States via my place.....not necessarily shorter, but lots more fun š
ReplyDeleteThank you Nanette.
DeleteLast year I did return to the States via Melbourne. I met several forum ladies too. :). A lot of fun, but boy the flight were long. I think the one from Melbourne to Dubai was 14 hours and then another 12 hours to the States.
I know, it's a long way around the world. It used to take me 26 hours to get from Australia to my daughter's in Ohio, with long waits for connections from LA and then Chicago or Atlanta.
DeleteThat sounds so nice. I’m jealous. I have a friend in Dubai. Her wedding looked so elaborate!
ReplyDeleteI have never left the Dubai airport, Akasha. I’ve heard that it’s a beautiful city.
DeleteGlad you made it safe! Enjoy!!!! Andrea
ReplyDeleteThank you Andrea. :)
DeleteI hope you have a wonderful vacation! (Wow, that was a LONG trip to get there!)
ReplyDeleteThank you Priscilla.
DeleteYes, I wish I could teleport myself without spending that much time traveling. :)
Welcome home Nil. Glad you made it safely. Enjoy your time with loved ones and every delicious bite š
ReplyDeleteThank you Lady Locust. :)
DeleteHi Nil, That is such a long time in the air and on the ground. Have you considered a transatlantic or repositioning cruise to Europe? That might help break it up, and make things more comfortable. Jet lag can be very intense.
ReplyDeleteI never thought about a cruise as a part of the trip, Stephenie. I should check that as well. Jet lag is a real pain and I’m still not fully recovered.
DeleteHave a lovely, restful time......... Enjoy family...... Be safe.......
ReplyDeleteRead another comment! Oh yes!
ReplyDeleteDo tell your mama that she has a very nice, sweet, thoughtful daughter. Who even sent this old lady, some of her homemade soap!!!! :-)
Gentle hugs to all...
Thank you Wisps of words :)
DeleteEnjoy your time at home with your family. I am looking forward to reading about all your adventures. I went through the Dubai airport twice while traveling to India for work. It is quite a place. For the other 7 trips to India I avoided that route because Dubai to LA was just TOO long a flight!
ReplyDeleteAnita, which route did you use? The route via Dubai has been the cheapest so far, but I am really considering another route even if it costs more.
DeleteI usually went from San Diego to somewhere on the east coast of the USA-Dulles usually (6 hrs), then to Frankfort (9 hrs), then to Bangalore (10 hrs) which was my final.
DeleteThank you Anita. I’m trying to find a route via Europe. If there’s a direct flight from my city to a European city, it’s so much easier.
DeleteI am so glad you are home and can enjoy some time with your family. However -19 hours of traveling is way tooooo much. xo Diana
ReplyDeleteIt is, Diana. I love coming home, but not the long trip. :)
DeleteEnjoy your visit. Your family must be thrilled to have you home. X
ReplyDeleteThanks Jules. Yes I’m being spoiled :)
DeleteI am just catching up on blogs as we are on our road trip, but yours was much longer, Nil. How nice to read that you are home with family and surely that long trip was well worth the result.
ReplyDeleteYes Beatrice. It really is.
DeleteI hope you are having lots of fun on your road trip. :)
Oh, I hope you have a wonderful visit, Nil. Relax and enjoy your time spent with family. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Belinda š
Deletehi Nil
ReplyDeletehope you are having/have had a lovely time with your family. yes the long haul flights are just killers, aren't they? we are so far away here in australia that it takes a day to get anywhere! cheers sherry
Hi Sherry, I didn’t know you were in Australia. For some reason I thought you were from UK. :)
DeleteWow, I am so jealous. I would love to travel to that corner of the world someday. If I’m not mistaken, Sri Lanka is in the Southern Hemisphere, correct? Have a save and joyous trip
ReplyDeleteThank you. :)
DeleteSri Lanka is about 7 degrees north of the equator, Akasha. So it’s in the northern hemisphere.