Thursday, May 9, 2019

Working in the Yard

We had heavy wind and rain last couple of days. Wind turned over several pots and broke a small branch of the Oak tree. The branch fell on the back fence, so I had to clear it up and fix the fence post. A friend came to help, so we worked all morning clearing up the fallen branch, and then trimming over grown trees along the side fence. While we were working, the truck that picks up yard waste went by. So I have to wait until next week to get rid of the branches. We cut them to smaller pieces and bundled them up. We placed them closer to the road by the fence so next week I can easily move them to the curb. 

Bundles of branches.

After several hours the lopper broke. By that time I was dead tired so we decided to stop for the day. 

Leftover mess.

Yesterday I bought a lopper and a shear combo for $30, so now I can clear that messy corner in the back yard. Because I still don't have a privacy fence on that side I didn't want to cut down the trees completely. I remember the yard guy once said he would trim the trees for $150. He would have done a faster (and most probably a better job), but thanks to my friend I saved a lot of money. 

While trimming the branches I found that there was a lemon tree hiding in the cluster. One branch was  dead, and the top of the tree was completely covered with a vine. After removing the vine and clearing up the nearby branches, the lemon tree doesn't really look good. I wonder if  I cut it more it will grow back. 

Lemon tree.

I also planted a Moringa near the back fence. I have another one in a pot. I decided to see how well this does in the ground, and then plant the second one a bit later. I placed three wooden sticks around  so the yard guy knows not to touch it. He tends to cut down the plants that he doesn't recognize. Once I had a raised bed full of edible weeds and he cleared it all thinking that the bed was full of unwanted weeds. 😭

Moringa.

I still have muscle aches from all that work, but at the same time it was very satisfying. Tomorrow I will clear up the rest of the branches, and if I have enough energy  dig a hole to plant the hummingbird tree. 

XX
Nil


27 comments:

  1. Glad the tree branch fell on your fence and not on the house! You certainly did a lot of work clearing out the branches, though! That's a nice grove of trees you have there! Yes, the lemon tree will grow back if you prune it more. I hope your moringa tree will grow well and give you lots of pods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily there are no branches hanging over the house, Bless. Today my friend cut another branch that went over the neighbor's fence.
      The big trees in that grove are actually in my other neighbor's yard. :)

      Delete
  2. Sorry your tree fell! Good hard work though! Thanks to your friend for helping also! Your bundles of branches look so neat, they almost look like little bushes. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Andrea I wouldn't have done it by myself. That friend is a blessing.
      Hehee I always make small bundles so I can easily carry them. :)

      Delete
  3. Lots of good work there, Nil. Not sure about the lemon tree, but I would give it a bit of time to see if it wants to live, now it can breathe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope that the lemon tree will grow well now. It gets a lot of sunlight now.

      Delete
  4. What a nice surprise to find a lemon tree. I hope now that you've trimmed away the vine and so forth that it'll bounce back to its healthy self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked a lemon from that tree, and it was so delicious. After tasting it, now I really want to protect the tree. :)

      Delete
  5. You did lot of work in your yard so I am not surprised your body is aching. We recently had a bid from a tree guy to trim our crepe myrtles. He wanted 800 so we bought a long handled motorized trimmer for 100 and did it ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of work, but satisfaction after.... :-)

    Also interesting, what one finds, when clearing out "brush"! Some poor thing, struggling to survive, in the "jungle"! :-) Your lemon tree, must have sighed a sigh of relief, when you released it from its 'prison'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was so satisfying Wisp of Words.
      The lemon tree looks very happy in the full sun now. :)

      Delete
  7. If you give that lemon a trim, lots of consistent fertilizing, water and some love (talk to it, encourage it-yes I am that crazy woman who talks to all her plants) it should come back. You certainly did a lot of work in that yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehee I too talk to my plants Anita.
      I even yell at lubber grasshoppers, but unfortunately they couldn't care less and keep eating my plants. :)

      Delete
  8. Your garden is beautiful. We also lost a tree last night in the storms, but it was a tree we weren’t too crazy about. Hope it clears up for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your fallen tree didn't damage anything Akasha. Yesterday I cleared the yard, now everything is neat and tidy again. :)

      Delete
  9. Oh yum! Hope it will continue to grow and produce for you. Fresh lemons would be delicious. That was a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a lot of work, Lady Locust. And very satisfying to be able to get it done and save money at the same time. :)

      Delete
  10. That was quite a big branch that fell, good you have some help to clear it all away. Grow, little lemon, grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This afternoon I went and checked the lemon tree - it still looks the same. No new growth. I know, I'm very impatient. :)

      Delete
    2. You could try singing to it 😄

      Delete
  11. I bet you are sore. I hope the lemon tree does well and gives you some fruit. I feed mine compost four times a year, and keep them mulched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should feed it some compost Stephanie. Thank you for the tip.

      Delete
  12. The cleanup from that downed tree sounded familiar like when we had projects in our VA yard, but what a bonus to have found a lemon tree! Thanks for your comment on my recent post about our travel plans and how you will also be traveling when we are in your state...maybe another time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi Nil
    it's always so satisfying to clean up the yard isn't it? pruning and weeding is great! i must get around to our yard soon as the bushes and weeds are going berserk... cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻