Saturday, May 18, 2019

A Little Birdie

This morning I was working in the backyard when I noticed a slight movement under the Oak tree. I went to check and saw a Blue Jay fledgling. It was not strong enough to fly, and had fallen off of a nest in the tree. I thought the mama bird would soon carry him back to the nest, but that didn’t happen.

Little Blue Jay.

I didn’t want to leave him alone in the yard because there are stray cats and hawks around, so I took him inside and placed him in a cardboard box. I made a pulp from birdseeds and fed him a bit and also gave some water. Then I Googled what to do with found fledglings and learned that the best thing to do was to leave them in a shrub or on a tree.


So I left him under a shrub. Several hours later when I checked he had move a couple of feet, but still under the shrub. His mama hadn't picked him up. I was really worried about leaving him under that shrub open to cats. So I decided to put him up on the Oak tree.
I grabbed a ladder, and made sure that I could reach a big branch. Then I picked up the little birdie again and carefully placed him on the tree. 




A bit later I'm going to see if he is still there. I hope he won't fall from the tree again, and will be safe up there.

XX
Nil



22 comments:

  1. I hope he is safe too, Nil. I thought his Mum would come to the rescue but perhaps he was kicked out of the nest for some reason. Any animal rescue places around that could help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The closest animal rescue place is in the next town about 45 minutes away, Chel. So I didn’t have time to drive there. When I checked later I didn’t see the little birdie, so hopefully mom took him to the nest.

      Delete
  2. Oh, he's so cute. How sad. I hope he makes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Stephenie I hope so. I didn’t see him later, so I hope he was moved by his mom.

      Delete
  3. Aw, little birdie! I love the photo of him looking straight at the camera! He is so well camouflaged, isn't he? I hope he makes it! I think you did everything you possibly could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was not there the next day, so I really hope he went back to the nest.

      Delete
  4. Hopefully this is a happy ending to the story. Sad when birds fall out and even sadder when they get kicked out

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a good job you noticed him, Nil. He's so very sweet, I hope he'll be OK. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I went to see the following day, he was not there. I hope he is OK.

      Delete
  6. We have 'squeakers' here......baby native noisy miners.....who leap out of their nests when they're learning to fly. It feels like it's raining birds sometimes, and it's hard not to step or drive on them, as they're everywhere. We're told to leave them alone, just move to safety as the parents won't always accept their babies back if they've been handled. I hope your little fella stays safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Nanette. I shouldn’t have handled him. Now I know better, so I know what to do if I find another one. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh dear, the poor thing. I hope the little fellow makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did your best for this fledgling, Nil, and I too hope that he was safe, but not sure if the mother bird would return. Hopefully, it will be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no, I hope his mother takes him back. We had one of our cats spayed last week and she is nursing. The vet was afraid she might stop feeding her kittens, but I'm happy to say she didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi Nil
    sadly once a bird has fallen out of the nest it is too late to save it most of the time. either they are injured and will die or be taken by a cat, or their mum doesn't want them back. I guess that's how Nature works! good on you for looking after it tho. cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I know what to do if I find another bird. It was hard to leave the poor bird on the ground, knowing that cats were around.

      Delete
  11. Oh dear, it can be so sad-hard, to try to rectify problems, which happen in the Natural World...

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻