One of my goals for this year is to learn crochet. I started a couple of months ago and learned the very first step - making a chain. Then I got busy with other things and failed to continue. When I came to see mom I brought my chrocet book, yarn and a needle, so I decided it's time to learn the second step - single crochet stitch.
![]() |
| My first chain. Chains were too tight. |
First I practiced the chain stitch again. Then I started single crochet stitch. The first swatch was horrible. I was trying to make a square and it started looking like a triangle. (the stich was wrong too, but I didn't know it t that time.) After learning how to turn properly, I got a sqaure, but it had ridges. It didn't look at all like to photo in the book! Then I found a good video on YouTube and figured out what I did wrong. I was not using both top loops of the first single crochet to make the second row. Once I learned the proper method, I continued the same swatch. The result was a swatch with a mix of some unknown stitches and single crochet.
![]() |
| What do you call these bottom stitches? They are NOT single crochet. |
Finally I think I got the single crochet right. I made another sqaure, may be I can use this as a dish cloth. You can see the final attempt below. I'm not happy with the edges yet. I think I need to practice turning, and counting stitches. But I'm quite happy with the overall result. It's approximatey 8.5 inch (~ 22 cm) square.
![]() |
| The sample of single crochet. |
Next I'm going to learn half double crochet. 😊
XX
Nil



Good work Nil! I love YouTube -people are so generous with their skills
ReplyDeleteThank you earthmotherwithin. Yes, YouTube has so many wonderful tutorials.
DeleteWhatever your first stitch was (maybe your own unique creation!) it made a nice pattern! I rather like it!
ReplyDeleteHehee Bless I like it too. According to Priscilla (below) it's another version of single crochet stitch.
DeleteNil, I always get confused with the US versus the UK version of crochet stitches. YouTube is fantastic though when learning any craft. All the best with your new craft.
ReplyDeleteThank you Chel. I looked up the difference, yes, it's so confusing. I'm learning the US version. I guess I have to make sure the version before using a pattern.
DeleteVery nice! I learned the single crochet stitch and stopped at that! I'd like to learn to make hats! Andrea
ReplyDeleteThanks Andrea. I'd also like to make a hat and a scarf. After I improve my skills. :)
DeleteRidges are okay. It's just a different look. Sometimes the pattern will say back loop only or front loop, or whatever the designer was trying to accomplish in the end result. And sometimes the edges will never look like you envision unless you go all the way around the outside with a single crochet to smooth things out (adding in extra stitches when it gets too tight and also at the corners). But I think you did a fabulous job. Both squares would make fabulous dish cloths!
ReplyDeleteThank you Priscilla. That's very good to know. Neither the book nor the videos I watched explained it.
DeleteGood for you!!!!
ReplyDeleteI probably did some, at some time, but don't remember anything about it. :-)
Good for your perseverance.
✨ 💛 ✨
Hehee I'm sure you have more interesting things to do, Wisps. My mom had learning knitting as a teenager and now she doesn't remember the stitches. I think it would come back if she (you too) tried it again.
DeleteI admire you for learning how to crochet. I learned in Home Ec in school, but never did it after age 12! There are some lovely things that can be made using crochet.
ReplyDeleteI'd like to learn both crochet and knitting. I remeber seeing your amazing knitted work. :)
DeleteGreat work, Nil. Dish cloths are the perfect way to practice crochet. If you count your stitches in each row, you can see if you have added an extra one somewhere. If that happens, the piece will start to grow. Blankets are a great way to practice, too. One of my first projects was a double crochet blanket. It was really fun, and I still have it.
ReplyDeleteThank you Stephenie. I also made a second dish cloth using half double crochet. I'm going to practice each stitch by making a dish cloth. :)
DeleteLooks awesome to me! YouTube is the best for learning skills, so much easier to watch someone than try to follow diagrams in a book.
ReplyDeleteYes, Julie. I found the book to be a bit confusing. Tere are so many good videos on YouTube.
DeleteYouTube is great for learning a new skill, sometimes easier than learning from a book. I learned to crochet as a child but used videos to refresh my memory and for getting to grips with the confusing language. British and US crochet terms sound the same but are not... a single crochet stitch in the US corresponds to a double crochet stitch in the UK! Your single crochet looks great and very neat. The uneven sides will be unnoticeable once you made a narrow border all around :-)
ReplyDeleteThank you Christina. I'm going to add a border later.
DeleteI looked up US and UK terms, and oh my god they are confusing. When using a pattern I hope they make sure what the version is. Otherwise I will end of with a messed up project. :)